Proper way to set subwoofer gain .

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Even somewhat small placement changes can deliver surprising results. Once had fronts apart about 7.5ft with subs on the outside. Now, fronts about 11.5 and subs on the inside and it made a substantial improvement in this troublesome room.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My main reason for putting my subs on the inside is to get the mains as far apart as I can given the space. I'm not quite equilateral still even, but pretty close. 10' apart but sit 14.5' away from each l/r main speaker.

Tho I'm just now realizing I have plenty of room behind my left speaker to put one of my subs more in a corner... the asymmetrical layout for my subs might offer some improvements...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Your story is so close to mine. I had a pair of Klipsch 10" subs in here originally and I really thought I had it as good as could be expected for bass. I had zero clue what I was missing (sound familiar? ;)). HD, Bill and Shady kept at me, pointing to those subs as the weakest link in my system. It took a little time, but I finally gave in. Ordered the right subs for my huge room, got them set up and I was almost instantly blown away. I finally got it. My first big level up. Now I understand how impactful having appropriate subwoofage is for good sound! This is where you're at right now I think.

After some time tho, I started noticing chinks in the armor. Weak bass with some music and pretty good for others. Great in general for movies. Ultimately not as satisfied as I wanted to be so that's when I got the mic. I was intimidated and had a couple of days of frustration, trial and error but got it sorted. Once I got it dialed in, that was my 2nd epiphany. It was like when I first got the new subs all over again! Better, actually because I was able to pinpoint and defeat a big null. It was totally worth the effort. Bass sounds great with all of my music now. Now I understand why folks go through the time and effort to learn it. I can't imagine it getting much better without going to room treatments next. My measurements are really good and I have enough subwoofage for some really effortless, low distortion bass.

Anyhoo, I see a lot of parallels between your experience and mine.

I'm almost over 9000 now!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I got a MiniDSP too, but wouldn't have if the MultEQ app was out when I ordered the stuff. I'd have just got the mic. In your shoes I'd just get the mic to start because you do have some peq options built right into your subs and likely won't need a MiniDSP. That actually makes tweaking a little easier for you.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I got a MiniDSP too, but wouldn't have if the MultEQ app was out when I ordered the stuff. I'd have just got the mic. In your shoes I'd just get the mic to start because you do have some peq options built right into your subs and likely won't need a MiniDSP. That actually makes tweaking a little easier for you.
That's interesting. I think getting the MiniDSP has been fantastic for me and very easy to adjust. The Denon MultiEQ app, I might not be getting full value out of. Do you use that to tweak your settings for your mains as well easily with that? I find it a pain to sync with the receiver and don't want to have to run Audyssey but I know I can save my settings.

But might should use MultiEq more

I don't regret for a second buying the Mini DSP though. Really nice tool.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
That's interesting. I think getting the MiniDSP has been fantastic for me and very easy to adjust. The Denon MultiEQ app, I might not be getting full value out of. Do you use that to tweak your settings for your mains as well easily with that? I find it a pain to sync with the receiver and don't want to have to run Audyssey but I know I can save my settings.

Or is the APP you are referring to an SVS app in which case that would be a nice to have along with the mic

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

The Mini is definitely easier, but for the money the MultEQ app works great, if a little clunky. I do use it to tweak my mains a little bit. Using ratbuddyssey I can get some really tight, accurate adjustments with it. Way better than trying to do it with your finger or a stylus on a mobile device.

I'll repeat tho, the MultEQ app is definitely more clunky and time consuming. Ratbuddyssey adds another layer of complexity too, but with a little practice you can make the same adjustments with it as the Mini.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I may have missed this while catching up. But what is the actual musical/tv content? I totally agree that the mid room placement and normal room modes are working against Mark. But, if he’s watching law and order, and listening to Billy Joel, and Styx, or SRV, etc(seems I remembered mark mentioning classic rock), there’s not much for a sub to do. Now if we’re talking about stuff from the subwoofer candy thread, we’ll that’s different lol.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yup, best place to start, at least! Hopefully he can git 'r dun with the SVS app alone. That'd be pretty sweet.
Yeah it definitely would be sweet. Seems reasonable. I’ve seen many times where someone takes the rew plunge and just gets overwhelmed, and gives up. If he can get close enough without the extra fuss…

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yup, best place to start, at least! Hopefully he can git 'r dun with the SVS app alone. That'd be pretty sweet.
My limited understanding is the SVS app can only help with single sub room corrections. Is that right? I may be mixed up with the Paradigm Defiance sub room correction review though.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, and for the record I totally agree. I don't regret the purchase either. It is a great tool and not difficult to use. I still use mine exclusively for my subs. I use the MultEQ app to do some tweaking a little above the crossover point on my mains, but I don't mess with anything manually above 200 hz. It is clunky and time consuming, having to reupload the MultEQ file from my tablet to the receiver after every adjustment.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My limited understanding is the SVS app can only help with single sub room corrections. Is that right? I may be mixed up with the Paradigm Defiance sub room correction review though.
I think what it is, is they have 3 or 4 frequency bands that are adjustable up or down via built in peq. How many and how much I'm not sure, but there aren't any kind of actual room correction capabilities involving a mic or anything if that's what you're asking.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I find it a pain to sync with the receiver and don't want to have to run Audyssey but I know I can save my settings.

You can limit what Audyssey does from any given frequency and down too, if you don't want your speakers eq'd above say, 120 hz it's super simple to do. Like I said, I like to use it in tandem with the mini, for adjustments above the (80 hz) crossover. If I really roll my sleeves up and go full on ocd I can get to within +/- 2 dB from 16 - 200 hz.

*Edit

05-26-21.jpg

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think what it is, is they have 3 or 4 frequency bands that are adjustable up or down via built in peq. How many and how much I'm not sure, but there aren't any kind of actual room correction capabilities involving a mic or anything if that's what you're asking.
OK I definitely was confusing it with the Paradigm Defiance series then. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis