problems with Republicans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Who mentioned efficiency?
It's in the post that I replied to, which, incidentally you replied to as well. :rolleyes:

You really do have a tendency to not read the posts you reply to.

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
If you were to look at the national picture, I hope you would ask "Why can members of Congress receive money from lobbyists and have any control over their investments when they could (do) buy stocks that will be affected by upcoming legislation?". Used to be that they couldn't receive money from lobbyists (although they usually found ways to hide it) and they were required to divest of control over their businesses & portfolios.

They're working for themselves far more than the general population.
There are glaring examples of conflict-of-interest in American federal politics: Trump, Manchin and Pelosi.

While probably inadequate, there is conflict-of-interest legislation in Canada to address such situations.

The Conflict of Interest Act prohibits federal reporting public office holders (RPOHs) from acquiring and holding controlled assets during the term of their office. Within 120 days of becoming a public office holder, a federal RPOH must divest his or her controlled assets by either selling them in an arm's length transaction or placing them in a blind trust.1

Federal RPOHs include:

• The Prime Minister;
  • Cabinet Ministers;
  • Ministers of State;
  • Parliamentary Secretaries;
  • Full-time and salaried Cabinet appointees, including deputy ministers and many heads of agencies;
  • Ministerial advisers; and
  • Ministerial staff who work more than 15 hours per week.2
Controlled assets are those assets whose value could be directly or indirectly affected by government decisions or policy. They include, but are not limited to:

• Publicly traded securities of corporations foreign governments;
  • Self administered RRSPs and RESPs;
  • RIFFS composed of at least one asset that would be considered controlled if held outside the plan or fund;
  • Commodities, futures and foreign currencies; and
  • Stock options, warrants and rights.3
It is important to note that MPs and their staff are not federal RPOHs and, as such, they are not obligated under the Conflict of Interest Act to divest their financial holdings by selling them or placing them in a blind trust. The Conflict of Interest Code for Members of the House of Commons also does not have a divestment requirement for MPs.

However, if the Conflict of Interest Commissioner is of the opinion that an MP's holding in a publicly traded company is so significant that it may affect their obligations under the Code, the Member of Parliament can remain in compliance with the Code by placing these securities in a blind trust.4

MPs may also request an opinion from the federal Conflict of Interest Commissioner regarding their obligations under the Code, including as they relate to their investments.5
It should be noted that Canadian MPs (unless they Cabinet Ministers) have a small fraction of the power and influence that an American Member of Congress has.

The issue of conflict-of-interest is a certainly real, but if one party is allowed to put their thumbs on the electoral and legislative scales for the purpose of gaining and holding onto power, watch that issue get supercharged.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It's in the post that I replied to, which, incidentally you replied to as well. :rolleyes:

You really do have a tendency to not read the posts you reply to.
I wrote nothing about 'effective' and 'ineffective'. You're replying to a post from someone else and you want me to search for the context? Don't be ridiculous! I have other shyte to do and searching for some obscure comment isn't part of that. Don't expect people to remember every little detail of these threads- there's more to life than bickering online with tools like you.

highfigh

highfigh

There are glaring examples of conflict-of-interest in American federal politics: Trump, Manchin and Pelosi.

While probably inadequate, there is conflict-of-interest legislation in Canada to address such situations.

It should be noted that Canadian MPs (unless they Cabinet Ministers) have a small fraction of the power and influence that an American Member of Congress has.

The issue of conflict-of-interest is a certainly real, but if one party is allowed to put their thumbs on the electoral and legislative scales for the purpose of gaining and holding onto power, watch that issue get supercharged.
Here, this is supposed to be covered in laws pertaining to 'insider- trading', but many legislators skirt that. I don't watch for this in all of them- I have other things to do but specific to Pelosi, she and her hubby have made millions by doing this.

Your conflict of interest legislation probably works because your Parliament isn't filled with money grubbing pieces of shyte, like our Congress.

Any Republicans who do this can burn, too- I don't care which party they're in, they need to stop treating us like farm animals.

What do you mean "if one party puts their thumb on the electoral and legislative scales...?" Don't you mean 'when'?

Both side do it, neither accepts the blame. Look farther back- you'll find some glaring examples of how a government ISN'T supposed to operate.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I wrote nothing about 'effective' and 'ineffective'. You're replying to a post from someone else and you want me to search for the context? Don't be ridiculous! I have other shyte to do and searching for some obscure comment isn't part of that. Don't expect people to remember every little detail of these threads- there's more to life than bickering online with tools like you.
But here you are pressing reply and posting some stream of random consciousness unrelated to the post which you did not read either, except for some trigger words.

I quoted exactly one sentence from GO-NAD! in my reply to him, and yes, and it was not about you.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I feared God would kill me.

These are the types of things religious leaders say on radio. Its nice to know a god filled with love & tolerance would on the other hand kill you for not believing. :confused:

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
It's rather funny because since America was founded on a Republic you'd think Republicans in media would be the ones to articulate ideas. Yet it's they who push fear, hate, lies, and conspiracies the most. It's ass-backwards IMO.

highfigh

highfigh

It's rather funny because since America was founded on a Republic you'd think Republicans in media would be the ones to articulate ideas. Yet it's they who push fear, hate, lies, and conspiracies the most. It's ass-backwards IMO.
So, Democrats don't push hate? They hate anyone who doesn't agree with them.

That said, the jag who broke into Pelosi's house looks like he has too many relatives on both ends of the family twig.

First, the US didn't have a republican party when it was founded and when it was, the main goal was to end slavery. The Democrats had a death grip on that until Johnson and the Great Society, which was supposed to eliminate poverty and racial injustice and his historical views on race pre GS aren't anything to brag about. Well, THAT has failed, but don't look at one party as the cause- these have been an ugly mess and I think a completely different view is needed because I don't really see any great plans that are workable. They either want to give all or nothing and it's almost like they (government) are telling people what they'll get, how much and that they'll like whatever they receive. Well, here it is, good and hard. Someone, and we all know who, says that the economy is great, gas prices are down and inflation isn't a problem. That 'someone' needs to go grocery shopping and check the price for a lot of the things people need for their everyday lives. Is Mayonnaise really worth $4.59 for a small jar? It was $3.59 earlier this year. Four bucks for a dozen eggs? Really?

highfigh

highfigh

I feared God would kill me.

These are the types of things religious leaders say on radio. Its nice to know a god filled with love & tolerance would on the other hand kill you for not believing. :confused:
You don't listen to religious radio, do you? :eek:

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan

That said, the jag who broke into Pelosi's house looks like he has too many relatives on both ends of the family twig.

First, the US didn't have a republican party when it was founded and when it was, the main goal was to end slavery. The Democrats had a death grip on that until Johnson and the Great Society, which was supposed to eliminate poverty and racial injustice and his historical views on race pre GS aren't anything to brag about. Well, THAT has failed, but don't look at one party as the cause- these have been an ugly mess and I think a completely different view is needed because I don't really see any great plans that are workable. They either want to give all or nothing and it's almost like they (government) are telling people what they'll get, how much and that they'll like whatever they receive. Well, here it is, good and hard. Someone, and we all know who, says that the economy is great, gas prices are down and inflation isn't a problem. That 'someone' needs to go grocery shopping and check the price for a lot of the things people need for their everyday lives. Is Mayonnaise really worth $4.59 for a small jar? It was $3.59 earlier this year. Four bucks for a dozen eggs? Really?
I don't see the Dems pushing conspiracies. Then what you're saying is the country wasn't founded on a Republic, which the Republicans (and you) proudly claim all the time. (Or over time we grew to become a republic. Whatever. Same difference.) If not, was it founded on democrat principles? Don't think so.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not as much as the republicans do, particularly in the last few years what with the racism, silly religious stuff, conspiracy theories, adherence to propaganda, lies, tying current economics particuarly to party "in power" at the moment etc. Both parties are deeply flawed, and depends somewhat if you're a card-carrying member, or someone not tied to one or the other and just looking for some real work getting done....which the republicans are particularly poor about especially in the last few years....

highfigh

highfigh

Not as much as the republicans do, particularly in the last few years what with the racism, silly religious stuff, conspiracy theories, adherence to propaganda, lies, tying current economics particuarly to party "in power" at the moment etc. Both parties are deeply flawed, and depends somewhat if you're a card-carrying member, or someone not tied to one or the other and just looking for some real work getting done....which the republicans are particularly poor about especially in the last few years....
Nobody on either side is seeing this objectively- it's always "You did this, you did that, you do it more than we do....".

I carry nobody's card- neither party is doing a halfway decent job of representing many people but there are no independents who can make a difference. As I have posted, they might seem to have some ideas at the beginning, but it's always ends up with "Uh, oh- there goes what's his/her name". The Dems rag on the Repubs and the Repubs are too gutless to respond in any meaningful or constructive way.

I hate this crap and getting to one of your points about economics being tied to the party that's in power- they're not supposed to be "in power", they're supposed to be 'in office'. THEY (politicians) need to remember their place.

highfigh

highfigh

Wow- two 'dumb' ratings and they don't have the balls to say why. Typical.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Nobody on either side is seeing this objectively- it's always "You did this, you did that, you do it more than we do....".

I carry nobody's card- neither party is doing a halfway decent job of representing many people but there are no independents who can make a difference. As I have posted, they might seem to have some ideas at the beginning, but it's always ends up with "Uh, oh- there goes what's his/her name". The Dems rag on the Repubs and the Repubs are too gutless to respond in any meaningful or constructive way.

I hate this crap and getting to one of your points about economics being tied to the party that's in power- they're not supposed to be "in power", they're supposed to be 'in office'. THEY (politicians) need to remember their place.
The point for me anyway is America is a republic, and it's the Republicans who are void of ideas and can only use the big lie and conspiracies as their go-to. They have little, if anything to offer.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Mark Levine is saying the riots are a big deal, but Jan 6th, well nothing really happened there.

Steve Crowder reenacted Floyd's death with his hands tied and his assistant kneeling on his neck. 'See, Floyd couldn't have died from suffocation.'

It's this kind of loserdom in conservative media I don't see the left doing. I think I'd better tune out till the midterms are over. The lead-up will be them doubling down on their propaganda.

highfigh

highfigh

The point for me anyway is America is a republic, and it's the Republicans who are void of ideas and can only use the big lie and conspiracies as their go-to. They have little, if anything to offer.
I'm not sure 'Republic' and 'Republican' are as closely related as you're thinking. OTOH, we also have the Democrats and this isn't a true Democracy, so....

They need to get back to the original plan- both parties. Leave the conspiracy theories to the crap TV shows and tabloids.

highfigh

highfigh

Mark Levine is saying the riots are a big deal, but Jan 6th, well nothing really happened there.

Steve Crowder reenacted Floyd's death with his hands tied and his assistant kneeling on his neck. 'See, Floyd couldn't have died from suffocation.'

It's this kind of loserdom in conservative media I don't see the left doing. I think I'd better tune out till the midterms are over. The lead-up will be them doubling down on their propaganda.
If Levine was referring to the financial cost, Jan 6 was nothing. Protesters are still out, but they're smaller groups and they seem to know that if they go off, it will be worse for them than before.

Yeah, WRT Crowder and the rest....to quote Moe Howard (Three Stooges, for anyone who doesn't know) Moe said, on several occasions, "Every time you think, you weaken the nation".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis