problems with Republicans

Status
Not open for further replies.
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Are there any politicians - Democrat or Republican - that you do like?
Not many- I have a general distrust of politicians because they under-deliver on the promises they made when they were campaigning, basically saying what they believe the voters want to hear (focus groups, ya know)- they're so wrapped up in the polls that they avoid contact with the public unless it's large groups, and then, they answer questions that may be pre-approved, if at all.

This is a major part of the reason I would like the Independents to come up with some good candidates- both parties have skewed to the outside and I can't support them on many issues.

I have written to Sen. Ron Johnson and was NOT satisfied with the answers but I'll never vote for his opponent because he wouldn't represent me or my ideals. We have two candidates and I don't like either of them. My options aren't great. I don't really like the Representative (Alberta Darling) for this area either, but again, limited choices.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I have written to Sen. Ron Johnson and was NOT satisfied with the answers but I'll never vote for his opponent because he wouldn't represent me or my ideals
Democracy is not part of your "ideals", but no surprise there.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Democracy is not part of your "ideals", but no surprise there.
@Mikado463 You may mark my post as dumb, but that is the implications of what is written in the post, after all.

Fake electors and support of the 6th violent insurrection.

Last edited:
D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
This one is an older story but towards the end they cover some interesting theories on why DeSantis arrested previous felons who didn't know they were voting illegally. Basically a catch-and-release scheme to intimidate felons/blacks from voting in the coming election (since they overwhelming vote Democrat). Apparently DeSantis suspended voter signature verification in areas hit by the hurricane (presumably because they vote Republican). At this point I have to ask why bother??? The only thing I can think of is abortion will keep the FL race close.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Since Martha's Vineyard, looks to me like DeSantis has played it smart and decided to lay low.

In the primary, would you vote for a guy who attempted a coup? I think that's a good question to ask Republican voters.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Since Martha's Vineyard, looks to me like DeSantis has played it smart and decided to lay low.

In the primary, would you vote for a guy who attempted a coup? I think that's a good question to ask Republican voters.
Well you'd also think Ian had something to do with keep him busy with actual issues....

Last edited:
D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Also if you've had or paid for an abortion, you don't get to say "I'm pro-life." ;)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Not many- I have a general distrust of politicians because they under-deliver on the promises they made when they were campaigning, basically saying what they believe the voters want to hear (focus groups, ya know)- they're so wrapped up in the polls that they avoid contact with the public unless it's large groups, and then, they answer questions that may be pre-approved, if at all.

This is a major part of the reason I would like the Independents to come up with some good candidates- both parties have skewed to the outside and I can't support them on many issues.

I have written to Sen. Ron Johnson and was NOT satisfied with the answers but I'll never vote for his opponent because he wouldn't represent me or my ideals. We have two candidates and I don't like either of them. My options aren't great. I don't really like the Representative (Alberta Darling) for this area either, but again, limited choices.
I've waited to respond, because I'm not sure how to. Regardless, here it goes...

Debate Audience Laughs When Sen. Ron Johnson Insists He Was 'Set Up' By The FBI | HuffPost Latest News
Why Ron Johnson is the worst Republican senator on the ballot (msnbc.com)

Mandela Barnes - Wikipedia

I can see how you and Barnes wouldn't be philosophically aligned, but Johnson personifies the worst traits (if there are actually any good ones) of MAGA-ism.

highfigh

highfigh

I've waited to respond, because I'm not sure how to. Regardless, here it goes...

Debate Audience Laughs When Sen. Ron Johnson Insists He Was 'Set Up' By The FBI | HuffPost Latest News
Why Ron Johnson is the worst Republican senator on the ballot (msnbc.com)

Mandela Barnes - Wikipedia

I can see how you and Barnes wouldn't be philosophically aligned, but Johnson personifies the worst traits (if there are actually any good ones) of MAGA-ism.
As I posted, I sent e-mails and not only were the responses the typical "blah, blah, blah", it took 6-7 paragraphs to get to the freaking point. OTOH, I have sent e-mails to Democrat candidates and office holders in an effort to have civil conversations (because that's what is needed) and I got no response from most- I did receive a message from the MKE Mayor's aid, but nothing since my reply to that.

Communication with people who want change is hard to come by and even though I don't live in MKE proper, the whole area that surrounds the city is turning to crap WRT crimes of various severity. After a shooting a few days ago, I'm definitely happy that I moved out- six people were shot and the Police found 100 shell casings at the intersection roughly 80 yards from where I lived. As I have posted before, I hear gunfire frequently but late last week, I heard gunfire from an automatic weapon, not semi- there's no way anyone can fire that many rounds in such a short time. I called my local PD and when the call went out, an officer said that MKE had a call regarding the same gunshots, so they weren't following up on it because it's not their/our jurisdiction.

MKE is now fining people for reckless driving, but in the last year, 99% have served no jail time, even if they did major property damage. They seem to think that adding raised sections of concrete will make them stop driving like idiots, but they aren't driving their own cars, so I seriously doubt this will make a big difference. I hope I'm wrong. As far as the shootings, 14 were shot, 1 killed, during the weekend in a 36 hour period.

The PD is down more than 230 officers and the Mayor wants to eliminate more- I fail to see how that will aid in reducing crime.

WRT Barnes, the WIKI link contains "Barnes sponsored a 2016 bill to eliminate cash bail. It would have barred judges from considering the "nature, number and gravity" of the charges and require the release a defendant unless there was "clear and convincing evidence" of flight risk or of danger to an individual or witness."- this is a major reason that I won't consider him because MKE has had far too many murders/shootings/carjackings/flight from prosecution, etc by people who were out on bail. Witness tampering is common and in the case of the 19 year old girl I have mentioned, the reason her killer was released is because the witness in his first shooting couldn't be found. He wasn't supposed to be near weapons and all he had to do to get one is go to a different room in his brothers's apartment before going outside and killing her. That, and the other three shootings in a 4 week period are a bit too close to home for me, literally and figuratively, since they all happened within four blocks from my house. The house next door had a slug come through a bedroom window and the people who lived there at the time and they left so fast that they had a vapor trail coming out of their butts.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I'm starting to think radio host Eric Metaxas is dangerous. He'll say things like "a" school (ie unknown) jumped the parents' rights in order to give the kid gender transitioning counseling, puberty blockers etc. Or McConnell is terrible because he doesn't support Trump. Or McCarthy would make for an awful House speaker. All of it this conspiracy, pro-Trump gobbledygook.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'm starting to think radio host Eric Metaxas is dangerous. He'll say things like "a" school (ie unknown) jumped the parents' rights in order to give the kid gender transitioning counseling, puberty blockers etc. Or McConnell is terrible because he doesn't support Trump. Or McCarthy would make for an awful House speaker. All of it this conspiracy, pro-Trump gobbledygook.
At least he's correct in that McCarthy would make for an awful House speaker as that man is an example of moral emptiness and lack of character.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
At least he's correct in that McCarthy would make for an awful House speaker as that man is an example of moral emptiness and lack of character.
Metaxas never states any specifics and goes after Republicans who don't support Trump. Bizarre.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I think Metaxas probably has close contact with the Trump team. If he runs against DeSantis in the primary he'll lose. Shapiro was right in that it would be a wrecking ball if Trump runs. Step aside or be run over.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
As I posted, I sent e-mails and not only were the responses the typical "blah, blah, blah", it took 6-7 paragraphs to get to the freaking point. OTOH, I have sent e-mails to Democrat candidates and office holders in an effort to have civil conversations (because that's what is needed) and I got no response from most- I did receive a message from the MKE Mayor's aid, but nothing since my reply to that.

Communication with people who want change is hard to come by and even though I don't live in MKE proper, the whole area that surrounds the city is turning to crap WRT crimes of various severity. After a shooting a few days ago, I'm definitely happy that I moved out- six people were shot and the Police found 100 shell casings at the intersection roughly 80 yards from where I lived. As I have posted before, I hear gunfire frequently but late last week, I heard gunfire from an automatic weapon, not semi- there's no way anyone can fire that many rounds in such a short time. I called my local PD and when the call went out, an officer said that MKE had a call regarding the same gunshots, so they weren't following up on it because it's not their/our jurisdiction.

MKE is now fining people for reckless driving, but in the last year, 99% have served no jail time, even if they did major property damage. They seem to think that adding raised sections of concrete will make them stop driving like idiots, but they aren't driving their own cars, so I seriously doubt this will make a big difference. I hope I'm wrong. As far as the shootings, 14 were shot, 1 killed, during the weekend in a 36 hour period.

The PD is down more than 230 officers and the Mayor wants to eliminate more- I fail to see how that will aid in reducing crime.

WRT Barnes, the WIKI link contains "Barnes sponsored a 2016 bill to eliminate cash bail. It would have barred judges from considering the "nature, number and gravity" of the charges and require the release a defendant unless there was "clear and convincing evidence" of flight risk or of danger to an individual or witness."- this is a major reason that I won't consider him because MKE has had far too many murders/shootings/carjackings/flight from prosecution, etc by people who were out on bail. Witness tampering is common and in the case of the 19 year old girl I have mentioned, the reason her killer was released is because the witness in his first shooting couldn't be found. He wasn't supposed to be near weapons and all he had to do to get one is go to a different room in his brothers's apartment before going outside and killing her. That, and the other three shootings in a 4 week period are a bit too close to home for me, literally and figuratively, since they all happened within four blocks from my house. The house next door had a slug come through a bedroom window and the people who lived there at the time and they left so fast that they had a vapor trail coming out of their butts.
So, while the GOP present a clear and present danger to democracy in America, the Dems don't seem willing or able to address your immediate concerns in your area.

I can see why you're frustrated.

highfigh

highfigh

So, while the GOP present a clear and present danger to democracy in America, the Dems don't seem willing or able to address your immediate concerns in your area.

I can see why you're frustrated.
How much of Democracy has really been lost? What's the point of one party winning if they won't fix the problems that are rampant in this country? Neither side is effective right now- all they want to do is throw crap at each other and lie about how much THEY'RE doing 'for the people'. It's all a load of crap.

It's not just MY area- Portland, Seattle, LA, Chicago, NYC, etc have seen huge jumps in crime and it all spreads out from those cities but it's not only large cities that are seeing this increase. I watched a video about Portland, which has a short stretch of highways & roads where a ridiculously high percentage of crime occurs- the videos commentators said it had to do with criminals moving into long-stay motels and operating from there with drug dealing, human trafficking, weapon sales and in at least one place, it's an abandoned motel that has fences around it. If you don't like the source, google it- you'll see the same info in other links (most use the same FBI stats).

You commented about Mandela Barnes and Ron Johnson, so I replied to that as it pertains to this area- In Wisconsin politics, very little changes and in many case, someone either has to die, lose interest or do something criminal for people to vote them out. Once in awhile, people do change their preference, but it's not frequent. Many elections see candidates running unopposed.

MKE is the only city I have seen that has such a death grip on its Mayors-many cities have term limits for this office and I don't remember that ever being offered here- the average term for Mayor in MKE since 1948 is 18.25 years. The county board, OTOH, was recalled after a pension 'backdrop payment' scandal that we're still paying for has cost over $350 million over roughly 20 years. That cost has provided zero services, just an additional one time payment for county retirees, in addition to their regular pensions. The alderpeople tend to rotate but they often end up in higher offices, like Barnes, the current Mayor, Gwen Moore and others.

I can understand why people might move into the MKE area, but I would never move back into the city- I lived in MKE for 16 years and it has declined terribly since I left. Crime has spread wildly to the SE part of the state and it's not uncommon for Milwaukeeans to commit their crimes two counties away. Conversely, it's not uncommon for people from Chicago to come here for the same reasons.

The financial cost from all of the crime is huge but the human cost is incredibly high and the ones who are really stuck live IN the cities- they don't want it but they don't have many options because they can't afford to move out. The city is run down, dirty, the roads suck and children are being killed, but the city wanted a trolley (Tom Barret), fancy new apartments/condos along the river and other places with high visibility from the freeway (Norquist & Barrett) but a block away and in a large area, the place is a dump. Homes are abandoned/burned out/in terrible condition because of slumlords, there's trash on the ground, people are living in hell and they have no choice.

With the city's demographics changing, property values are dropping, tax revenue is doing the same and the city & county are financially strapped. They have received Federal funds, but that can't be seen a reliable source because as the party in power changes, so does the availability and willingness to fund certain places. The state seems to think of MKE as a parasite because it requires more funds than any other art of the state (it's the largest city, so....) and they don't get enough to fund some agencies, although it seems that Gov Evers is going to send more to handle the shortfall in Law Enforcement- not only does the MKE PD need more to hire additional officers, the County Sheriff's Office needs the same, although to a lesser extent.

I like the people I meet in MKE, just not the way the city & county are run.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
How much of Democracy has really been lost? What's the point of one party winning if they won't fix the problems that are rampant in this country? Neither side is effective right now- all they want to do is throw crap at each other and lie about how much THEY'RE doing 'for the people'. It's all a load of crap.
Yeah, WTF is democracy good for? Besides, USA is not a democracy but a Republic! /s

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The problem is Republicans officials and representatives following Trumps lead about "Stolen election", and following Hungary on how to turn a democracy into an authoritarian state.

>>>Almost two years after President Joe Biden won the presidential election, the majority of Republicans still do not believe that election was legitimate.

New polling from NBC News shows just 22% of registered Republican voters believe in the legitimacy of Biden's election, with 65% viewing his election illegitimate.

That makes Republicans an outlier — overall, 60% of registered voters believe Biden's election was legitimate and 33% do not. One-hundred percent of Democrats and 74% of independents view his election as legitimate, along with a majority of white voters, voters of colors, independents, voters in cities and suburbs, as well as voters across all regions and age groups. ...<<<

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I guess I look at it from an existential standpoint. While neither party may be "effective", as you put it, only one of them looks at Hungary as an example worth emulating. Trying to engineer a permanent hold on power is most certainly not good for the country - or for other western democracies either.

This article is 18 months old, but I'd suggest that they've only gotten worse.
The GOP Is a Grave Threat to American Democracy - The Atlantic

If I had to choose between an ineffective democracy and an ineffective oligarchy, I know what I would go with...

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
If I had to choose between an ineffective democracy and an ineffective oligarchy, I know what I would go with...
The so-called inefficient democracies are in reality quite efficient. It ain’t going so good for Russia, does it?

highfigh

highfigh

I guess I look at it from an existential standpoint. While neither party may be "effective", as you put it, only one of them looks at Hungary as an example worth emulating. Trying to engineer a permanent hold on power is most certainly not good for the country - or for other western democracies either.

This article is 18 months old, but I'd suggest that they've only gotten worse.
The GOP Is a Grave Threat to American Democracy - The Atlantic

I don't want them looking at any country that lets powerful people remain in office just because they have connections, but here we are. The quality of our candidates is really bad and I hope it improves, for the sake of the country.

Well, the Republicans don't have much influence locally, but at the state level, it's different. Also, the rest of the state is more conservative than the cities of MKE, Madison, Green Bay and the NW area that includes La Cross and Eau Claire, so they outnumber the four more liberal areas. The Representatives and Senators reflect their areas pretty well- MKE's are more liberal, while the Senatorial district that includes MKE also has the surrounding area, which means the people will usually vote for someone who's NOT a Democrat. While it's great to say that Barnes might bring new ideas to the Senate, he still doesn't represent the majority of the district he's trying to win.

If you were to look at the national picture, I hope you would ask "Why can members of Congress receive money from lobbyists and have any control over their investments when they could (do) buy stocks that will be affected by upcoming legislation?". Used to be that they couldn't receive money from lobbyists (although they usually found ways to hide it) and they were required to divest of control over their businesses & portfolios.

They're working for themselves far more than the general population.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis