Problem with JL 12W3v3 Sub

annunaki

annunaki

Sorry for such a long delay in my response. I modeled a PR option and you could pull it off in your current enclosures. I would recommend 1 APR 15 from CSS for each enclosure with 400 grams added mass. This will give you an f3 anechoic of 22hz and give you about 5db gain over sealed at 30hz. The enclosure size is not ideal for vented nor a passive radiator, but, going the passive radiator route is really your only option to gain over what you have without rebuilding significantly larger enclosures.

annunaki

annunaki

That looks like a very interesting woofer for the price. The modeled enclosure size should be 6.4ft^3 for sealed which is significantly larger than what you have today. The F3 would be about 32hz anechoic where as with the APR applied to your current woofer you would be near 22hz. Granted they would get louder (about 4db) but you give up a ton more space to do so.

gercho

gercho

Audioholic Intern
That looks like a very interesting woofer for the price. The modeled enclosure size should be 6.4ft^3 for sealed which is significantly larger than what you have today. The F3 would be about 32hz anechoic where as with the APR applied to your current woofer you would be near 22hz. Granted they would get louder (about 4db) but you give up a ton more space to do so.
Thanks for all your help Annunaki. I've suggested that drive because in the manufacture's page suggest a 4cuft enclosure. Also sorry for the long delay but I was on vacation and also was listening to all my flac files to see what I really want. And I can say that I love the sealed sound of these subs for music. So I will keep it sealed. The thing is I need more output so I was thinking in adding 1 or 2 more subs (SVS PB-13 Ultra or similar). The other thing I thought was to add 1 more 12w3v3 to the same enclosure (down firing or in one of the sides). Do you think the enclosure will be enough? or I'm better spending the money on the SVS? (I don't have the time to go DYI again, sorry). Thank you!!

annunaki

annunaki

You could add another sub to each enclosure. It would increase the output. It would however raise the F3 of the system, so a mini DSP added to the system to add EQ would help improve the system overall as well. An EQ'ed system would offer many benefits even over the existing setup.

You can certainly go to an SVS as well if you choose and use all of them in the system too.

gercho

gercho

Audioholic Intern
You could add another sub to each enclosure. It would increase the output. It would however raise the F3 of the system, so a mini DSP added to the system to add EQ would help improve the system overall as well. An EQ'ed system would offer many benefits even over the existing setup.

You can certainly go to an SVS as well if you choose and use all of them in the system too.
Time and time again, thanks Annunaki for taking the time to answer/teach me. Sorry for the dispersion in questions, I'm trying to keep sound quality and increase output and get the most out of $$. When I've talked about SVS I mean SB-13 Ultra (sealed) my bad on that one.
Other option I was looking was this: http://rythmikaudio.com/DS1500ci.html I can replace the JL 12w3. 2 of them cost the same as a SB-13U. Would you think is better to add another sub or uograde the two I have (in the search of more output). Again thank you very much.

annunaki

annunaki

So if you are happy with the sound quality but really are after more output, adding more subs will help.

When you double the surface area you increase 3db, when you double the power you add 3db. Adding more subs and amplifier power will give you a net anechoic gain of 6db.

That type of output gain would definitely be noticed.

I can't tell you what to do, that is your decision. In my opinion going dual opposed adding more power and a mini DSP would likely fit the bill.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis