Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Dual HSU ULS-12 mk2 (+ DIY 12")

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
@Am_P

Do you think this with this along with my onboard Onkyo NX-Tr757 & Sub capabilities will get me to a 'better place'?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
@Am_P

Do you think this with this along with my onboard Onkyo NX-Tr757 & Sub capabilities will get me to a 'better place'?
Not answering for anyone else of course. But yes. Minidsp/rew is essentially to properly set up multiple subs. I still believe what you’re looking for is some good ol fashion TR(tactile response). You will be able to find out the FR in the room, but you can only do so much with the knowledge. You can really only safely boost nulls by about 6db, and you really want to avoid that if you can. You have no freedom placement so you’ll only have so many options. There’s also no safe way to boost the low end of the sb3000 to do what you want. I would at least try the pb2k or PC2K pros since it doesn’t cost you anything.
I use three subs in my system and the minidsp/rew combo is very nice in balancing the system. Highly recommended.

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Not answering for anyone else of course. But yes. Minidsp/rew is essentially to properly set up multiple subs. I still believe what you’re looking for is some good ol fashion TR(tactile response). You will be able to find out the FR in the room, but you can only do so much with the knowledge. You can really only safely boost nulls by about 6db, and you really want to avoid that if you can. You have no freedom placement so you’ll only have so many options....I use three subs in my system and the minidsp/rew combo is very nice in balancing the system. Highly recommended.
This would be in addition to selecting new subs, not instead of. Edit

...There’s also no safe way to boost the low end of the sb3000 to do what you want. I would at least try the pb2k or PC2K pros since it doesn’t cost you anything...
OK. I didn't listen to good advice in the last thread, I guess I will in this one. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
@Am_P

REW is free and all you are paying for is that mic...If you don't have one yet, there is also a software built into every receiver brand for starters (but, individual mileage may vary)...For instance, when my Umik crapped out and i was waiting on a replacement, I was using my Yamaha's YPAO software and it's cal mic. When you run the cal, it produces a room eq result/peq summary a.k.a what it applies to every speaker to get to a "flat" response...The inverse of this correction is what it actually measured in-room and i've found that it is quite accurate on these higher end Yamahas. Since, it will produce a flatness adjustment summary (the inverse of it being the measurement) for every individual speaker, it is a very quick way of getting to a fairly good estimate (for what it's measuring) with each speaker at the listening position. I don't know what all these modern Onkyos come with, but, your Onkyo's AccuEQ should offer cal results to some detail perhaps? if it did, it should be useful in this regard as well....

Here's also a link to a room mode calc.

https://www.harman.com/Documents/Room Mode Calculator_0.xls

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
For those who may still be interested - both the mic and PB2000 Pros are on the way.

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Another update for the 2 people still interested in this thread.

Received the PB2000 Pros yesterday (but not the mic). In order to do the best 'A/B' test I could I let the receiver run back through AccuEQ with the SB3000s, reset the crossovers to 80Hz and listened to two songs and one movie scene. I then setup the PB2000 Pros the same way and listened to the same tracks/scene.

My impressions:
  • Music was similar enough that I did not discern a noticeable difference
  • The movies had noticeably more rumble
  • They are big black boxes
Side note - in moving the sealed box out and ported boxes in I elevate my left/right speaker and found they sounded much better. I'm excited to dial in the system when my mic arrives.

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
PB2000s are going back (they sound good but don't blend into the room). Anyone know of any ported subs that are no more than 20" deep or so?

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Isn't that the same request as your first thread? I think lots of people gave you options there.

SB2000s are going back (they sound good but don't blend into the room). Anyone know of any ported subs that are no more than 20" deep or so?
You're keeping the PB's then?

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Isn't that the same request as your first thread? I think lots of people gave you options there.
Similar - I am willing to go up in size and price - 21-22" deep is 'OK' and $3.5k.

A contender from the last thread and another I think might work:

Rythmik FVX12

Airmotiv RS13

Any others I should consider?

Last edited:
cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Emotiva is on indefinite backorder - anyone know of other options?

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Ha, ya, never Emotiva.
FTW
:)
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying the Emotiva subwoofers (including the RS13) are not worth considering or that they are known for indefinite backorders?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I choose not to support them as a company. When their tech crew cannot or will not answer a simple question about amplifier power…. That is a serious red flag.
Of course there’s still the whole issue of broken promises, short product life cycles, inability to provide product support after said life cycle or warranty ends, and other quirks.

Last edited:
cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
I choose not to support them as a company. When their tech crew cannot or will not answer a simple question about amplifier power…. That is a serious red flag.
Of course there’s still the whole issue of broken promises, short product life cycles, in ability to provide product support after said life cycle or warranty ends, and other quirks.
Gotcha - food for thought.

I like the look of the sub (this is important to me) and I from what I gather in this thread it looks like it is derived from the Outlaw X-13 which was a great performer (as you are aware, I'm sure).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Gotcha - food for thought.

I like the look of the sub (this is important to me) and I from what I gather in this thread it looks like it is derived from the Outlaw X-13 which was a great performer (as you are aware, I'm sure).
Unless it could be confirmed that they had Claridy (The company behind the X-13 and the Monolth Subs) do their design work, I wouldn't trust it. Likewise, without seeing measurements?... Ad copy can claim everything they want you to believe..
End of the day, buyer beware. And Emo has done a lot to cause such wariness.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Unless it could be confirmed that they had Claridy (The company behind the X-13 and the Monolth Subs) do their design work, I wouldn't trust it. Likewise, without seeing measurements?
Same basic design team as Claridy.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Any chance one is going to find its way through your hands? ;)
Unlikely. However, I wouldn't expect it to perform radically differently than the Outlaw X13, except with a bit less deep bass headroom.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis