Playing SACD on UBP-X700

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So in my case, what would be the optimal format the AVR and/or Media Streaming (ATV4K) would use to output Audio?

Is Multi CH PCM best option in my case?
Well in 5.1, Dolby TrueHD or DTSHD Master Audio are the ones you want for Blu-ray or UHD.

Atmos and DTSX are for use with ceiling speakers. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Oopsies! In my mind you had 5.1.2. Facepalm.....
Anyway, you should still be able to select the Atmos track. The Marantz OSD will still show “input-Dolby trueHD”. Not sure what output will show...maybe Dolby trueHD 5.1, but it WILL show the active speakers in any case, and will downmix accordingly.

So...afaik, the only reason it will show pcm multichannel is if the Sony is not set to output bitstream. I think for Fred it would be beneficial for the Marantz to show the corresponding info and not multichannel.
Well on Yamaha you can see DTSX in 5.1 but you can’t see Atmos unless you tell the receiver you have at least 2 ceiling speakers (or heights). You don’t have to actually have them, just tell it you have them to see this (I was just trying to make sure Atmos was going to work when I install my 4 ceiling speakers). :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Not sure but maybe the AVR would also prevent Atmos if not enough speakers were setup too. But you have to get Bitstream first, agreed.

The x700 does have 2 hdmi outs so maybe an audio setting in Sony might be pointed to wrong hdmi out?

I’m also waiting for my copy of John Wick chapter 3. :)
Interesting point. I don’t recall anything in the manual about that, but they are different. I used output 1 fwiw.

Yes. JW3. Boom! Seen reports of a couple shotgun blasts bottoming out subs. Not sure what subs they were though. Too many mixed reports. I’ll judge for myself lol.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well on Yamaha you can see DTSX in 5.1 but you can’t see Atmos unless you tell the receiver you have at least 2 ceiling speakers (or heights). You don’t have to actually have them, just tell it you have them to see this (I was just trying to make sure Atmos was going to work when I install my 4 ceiling speakers). :)
Isn’t it cool enjoy be in your attic yet?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Summer is over. I can get up there without any heat now. I’m not around this weekend but maybe next weekend. :)
Lol. I’m just ribbin ya. I know how life is. It’s a bitch sometimes. Have you had those about a year now?

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Well in 5.1, Dolby TrueHD or DTSHD Master Audio are the ones you want for Blu-ray or UHD.

Atmos and DTSX are for use with ceiling speakers. :)
Ok but I am not getting that at all - it only shows Multi CH for Audio

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Lol. I’m just ribbin ya. I know how life is. It’s a bitch sometimes. Have you had those about a year now?
Well I just changed out front 3 to Canton and trying to decide on sides so not sure if I should just go ahead with the existing bipole Def Tech SR9040 sides for now and install RSL 34e pairs. Or wait until the sides are figured out.

Mains: Canton Vento 820.2
Center: Canton Chrono SL 556.2

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ok but I am not getting that at all - it only shows Multi CH for Audio
It sounds like Decode is happening inside the Sony instead of inside the receiver. What does Sony display for sound? Push display button on remote

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
It sounds like Decode is happening inside the Sony instead of inside the receiver. What does Sony display for sound? Push display button on remote
English Dolby TrueHD 7.1ch 48khz 5.1mbps

Again I only have 5.1 channel setup

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe my poor attempt at humor?(waiting for coffee still). The factory reset is what I said to do and now it seems your displays are right. I DO have an Atmos system, and if you look back at my pics you’ll see even my Sony display button doesn’t show Atmos.

Anyway, That’s what I felt like when I saw your pictures. If you haven’t seen the end, of endgame I won’t spoil it.
That’s what your displays should look like.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Maybe my poor attempt at humor?(waiting for coffee still). The factory reset is what I said to do and now it seems your displays are right. I DO have an Atmos system, and if you look back at my pics you’ll see even my Sony display button doesn’t show Atmos.

Anyway, That’s what I felt like when I saw your pictures. If you haven’t seen the end, of endgame I won’t spoil it.
That’s what your displays should look like.

Hah - yah we saw it twice - great movie indeed!

So I am good?

I guess what the Sony says is irrelevant in this case as the Marantz is shooting Dolby Atmos :) and the Settings under Language states its set Dolby Atmos even though when hitting Sony Info it states its playing Dolby TrueHD

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hah - yah we saw it twice - great movie indeed!

So I am good?

I guess what the Sony says is irrelevant in this case as the Marantz is shooting Dolby Atmos :) and the Settings under Language states its set Dolby Atmos even though when hitting Sony Info it states its playing Dolby TrueHD
So yeah you’re good. FWIW, Atmos is truHD. What your getting is the core track only since you have no height speakers. All the metadata sounds are present but played back from the bed layer.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Holy crap Batman
That is ridiculously good sounding.

Geez Louise

My pictures almost fell off the walls
Rofl. I thought you might like that! Demolandia has some too, bout our 700’s don’t like some file types. Iirc, mkv files do work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis