Planning a NY Vacation this summer

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Yo! The Lazer's back! We're trying to set up Muddy with a great Big Apple adventure. Come on Mazer, Grimaldi's over Lombardi's?????? That's a tough one!

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, my eyes are open on the cost. I'm budgeting 6k minimum not including the game tickets (estimate 1,200 for the two games). I have not joined the family on a vacation in a long time and with my oldest son 26 opportunities for us all to breakaway at the same time may be limited in coming years. The years are flowing swiftly so although some may consider it frivolous we planning on having a great time.

The opportunity to meet some of you and visit a real audio emporium will be a big bonus. The extra $200 or so for parking is a fair trade-off for the elimination of the stress flying will cause my wife. I figure we're all entitled to a bit of foolishness once in a while.

Beginning wish list
Museum of Natural History
Empire State Building
Statue of Liberty
Rockerfeller Center
2 games

I also hope it can be arranged to meet our AH NJ friends for dinner at the least.

Possible plan:
Monday: drive
Tuesday Night open
Wednesday game 1
Wednesday night open
Thursday Museum
Thursday night open
Friday open
Friday night game 2
Saturday drive/GTG
Hey Mud....

Make it a 5 grand NYC trip and save the one Large for a full one-week trip to the Oregon coast. AverageJoe and I will treat you to some real food, scenery and a/v happiness! :)

Empire State Building and Yankees game...pffft. :p We have the world's largest Sitka Spruce and power outages, lol.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not even close to the best pizza. :rolleyes:
Personally, I think both Lombardi's and Grimaldi's get a bit overhyped. The pizza is awesome, don't get me wrong, but the lines are ridiculous, the places get crowded with tourists, and they only serve pies. My favorite pizza on the island of Manhattan is actually a small place in the West Village at the intersection of 6th avenue and Bleeker St. I never remember the name, but for a slice at any given hour of the day there's no place better.

J

jamie2112

Banned
St. Marks pizza is great as well. You have got to try a Katz's deli hot pastrami sandwich. It is buy far the best hot pastrami I've ever had. I like it much better than Carnige deli. New York city has the best food on the planet, there are more great places to eat in NYC than anywhere on earth....well a 7 mile stretch of earth that is.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Personally, I think both Lombardi's and Grimaldi's get a bit overhyped. The pizza is awesome, don't get me wrong, but the lines are ridiculous, the places get crowded with tourists, and they only serve pies. My favorite pizza on the island of Manhattan is actually a small place in the West Village at the intersection of 6th avenue and Bleeker St. I never remember the name, but for a slice at any given hour of the day there's no place better.
Johns Brick Over pizza ???

Awesome :D

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Johns Brick Over pizza ???

Awesome :D
No No- John's is over on Bleeker and West 4th- and is also a Pies-only place. The place I'm thinking about (which also could be called John's- there's no less than 125,000 John's pizza's in NYC :)) is a tiny take-out only place and is not a brick-oven place. It's just your standard NYC pizza joint that I swear serves the greatest pepperoni and sicilian slices in the history of the world.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
No No- John's is over on Bleeker and West 4th- and is also a Pies-only place. The place I'm thinking about (which also could be called John's- there's no less than 125,000 John's pizza's in NYC :)) is a tiny take-out only place and is not a brick-oven place. It's just your standard NYC pizza joint that I swear serves the greatest pepperoni and sicilian slices in the history of the world.
Adam, see if you can get the name, I'd like to stop by next time I'm up there.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Adam, see if you can get the name, I'd like to stop by next time I'm up there.
Will do. what's sad is that I was walking by there on Friday night... however I was so drunk that I have no recollection of anything else :D.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Will do. what's sad is that I was walking by there on Friday night... however I was so drunk that I have no recollection of anything else :D.
Nothing's better at quashing the munchies than pizza!:D

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

MAN YOU'RE KILLING ME! I don't have access to White Castle! Damn Florida!!!
There's not a one on the island of Manhattan either. you have to go pretty far into Brooklyn or Queens to find one. It's just not fair!

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
There's not a one on the island of Manhattan either. you have to go pretty far into Brooklyn or Queens to find one. It's just not fair!
A few years back we went to Tennessee for vacation, we passed in front of a White Castle, but my nimrod sister in law didn't want to get off, oooooh I could have clubbed her right there, so we settled for Crystal Burgers later, not even close!:mad:

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Tickets for both games have been purchased. Now for a hotel. I am considering the following:
1. radisson lexington- near Rockefeller Center and subway across the street.
2. Hilton- also near Rockefeller Center and shows
3. Holiday Inn on 57th street. Nearest subway appears to be Columbus Circle.

number 3 is about $600 less over the four nights the first two are approximately equal. Comments? Note: my youngest son is handicapped so very long walks will be out.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Have you checked Expedia and Pricewire (or is that Priceline??), anyway my wife got a deal and half at the Waldorf Astoria (through one of those sites), which is centrally located.

The Hilton near Rockefeller is nice, so's the Radisson.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Hotel will be The Milford Plaza Hotel on 45th street. We received 15% off by going direct to the hotel's site. $1,900 for two rooms for 4 days. Ouch. Tax on the hotels appears to be over 15 percent. Boss Tweed and Tammany Hall have to get their cut. Now I remember why I register Republican.:p

It appears taking the subway to the stadium will involve one switch at Columbus Circle. We will try it for the day game and decide later on transportation to the Friday Night game.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis