Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-PK52FS review

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
And also the fact that they were made to be played with the grills on, which will attenuate the rise in HF response down a touch. IIRC

They don't sound "shrill" at all to me and I DO toe them in slightly. If you read somewhere in the middle of this thread I think, Dennis discusses his theory on why the center and tower were designed like that, and likely has to do with the tweeter's response as well as the environment they are expected to typically live in.

LOL, the stands I have my BS22s on cost MORE than them. I've had those stands for years though. This is the replacement for my stolen system for now.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I really like the Bell'O stands. Going on my wish list for Thanksgiving gift to me :D.

E

EdOz

Enthusiast
Thanks for the stands suggestions. Mine will be on a tight-weave carpet that's about a half inch thick so I'll need stands that have a stable base and spikes.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So I spent about 2hrs straight with the 52s last night. The tweeter has a bit of ring on certain notes when played loud and lacks some fine detail; I noticed the detail issue on the 22s, but not the ringing. The bass is not as impressive as I had hoped, but is more than adequate for my needs. I also find them a little bit "chesty" compared to the 22s occasionally, in that some of the upper midrange comes across a bit too pronounced, though I found it odd that it didn't happen with all material. I will likely give them another listen today with some different material. While these sound like flaws, the overall presentation still ends up being extremely pleasing and easy to listen to and I still feel they are one of the best budget speakers out there right now. I have something planned for the pedestals as well.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not that I felt they needed more height, but it was so simple and only a few bucks to do. I have a few other ideas also, but this literally took minutes.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Not that I felt they needed more height, but it was so simple and only a few bucks to do. I have a few other ideas also, but this literally took minutes.
I put them together and then took them apart, when I told them good-buy.
At least, I got to toy with them.

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic

Looks cool, would you happen to have a part # and supplier name for the parts used?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Got the screws from Lowes, but any M6x1.00 will work. I used 50mm to fit mine, but you can vary the length of the screws based on the length of the spacers used. I already had the spacers; these are about .75" long. I don't have a part number for those and checked Lowes and they didn't have anything quite like them except some white nylon ones. I checked McMaster and found something similar that is 1" tall pn: 92825A205

J

Jimefam

Audiophyte
First post here so go easy but I am building a dedicated home theater room and it was prewired for 7.1 surround sound, can I buy two more speakers and make this a 7.1? For the money and say up to $1200 for speakers and subwoofer is there anything I should be looking at that perform more favorably? The only big drawback for me on this system is I had hoped to wall mount my speakers so if these can be made to wall mount without affecting sound quality I am all ears. What would be a good receiver to pair this with? Room is 36 long by 18' wide, projector is an epson 5030ub and the screen is 142". Thanks for any insight.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
That's a pretty big room there.

First post here so go easy but I am building a dedicated home theater room and it was prewired for 7.1 surround sound, can I buy two more speakers and make this a 7.1? For the money and say up to $1200 for speakers and subwoofer is there anything I should be looking at that perform more favorably? The only big drawback for me on this system is I had hoped to wall mount my speakers so if these can be made to wall mount without affecting sound quality I am all ears. What would be a good receiver to pair this with? Room is 36 long by 18' wide, projector is an epson 5030ub and the screen is 142". Thanks for any insight.
You might want to start a new thread for this one. They are good speakers but that's a bit much air for them to be expected to cleanly move. Subs alone could eat up that budget you've set.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
The towers are on sale for 65 and the center for 50 at Amazon.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Anyone here complaints on the tweeters not good. See post # 17 from this thread: Ascend Speaker Cost Value - AVS Forum

Just curious if that's true because I hadn't read that before.
It's not that the tweeters aren't good, they're just easily bested at minimal cost. If you're going to go through the trouble of modding the crossover, would you stick with the stock tweeter or would you replace it with something that is considerably better for about $30 per pair? IMO, the stock tweeter is acceptable, especially for a budget speaker, but I have no trouble believing the mod by Dennis is better.

N

neo7777

Audiophyte
Hi Guys , Since all of you are Experts....I just want to know if You can use these Pioneer Andrew Jones system for Karaoke purposes and Sound Good with it ? Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis