Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-PK52FS review

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It really depends on what I'm listening to. For most music I don't miss a sub, unless I use the towers with one then I think "oh, that's right". So it really depends on what you're listening to. The towers still surprise me with the bass they are capable of outputting. Some have said the bookshelf units are a bit smoother, once I get some I'll find out, but if that's the case and you're buying a sub anyway why not do a 2.1 bookshelf system?

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
The FS52 do not have much bass. If you have a large room you will need a sub or two.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The FS52 do not have much bass. If you have a large room you will need a sub or two.
I don't need a sub for this system. It is primarily 2ch, and mainly for music. Having the sub was nice, but despite the house being very open, it is also fairly quiet and has decent acoustics so I can get away without one most likely. That's where I'm sort of going with this: with the 52s, I don't need stands which I would want for the BS22s and that brings them closer in price to the 52s (they'd still be less) and it also means I can gear it more towards 2ch components. I ended up moving my old receiver into that setup simply for bass management; with no sub, I don't need to worry about that...but I CAN add a sub if I want to still. Once I am there full time, I have more than enough sub for that room with the Empire, and if something happens to the Empire, then a call would be going out to PSA or Rythmik :)

Some have said the bookshelf units are a bit smoother, once I get some I'll find out, but if that's the case and you're buying a sub anyway why not do a 2.1 bookshelf system?
This is sort of what concerns me, that the slightly simpler BS22s are going to be a bit cleaner, and at the current $80/pr, they are a steal. They need a sub in a larger room though. I will likely have to drop by Best Buy and give the 52s a listen.

Last edited:
G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
The FS52 should be good for a 2.0 set up. Or the Level 2 towers from HTD for $359 are pretty nice.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
This is sort of what concerns me, that the slightly simpler BS22s are going to be a bit cleaner, and at the current $80/pr, they are a steal. They need a sub in a larger room though. I will likely have to drop by Best Buy and give the 52s a listen.
I listened at a BB and thought "meh" but that isn't a good place to get an impression. Once I got them home I was very happy with the 52's performance for what I paid. I've heard many a speaker that cost much more and was not even close to as impressed.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I listened to the BS22s at BB and was actually surprised at how well they did in the horrible environment. That's why I bought them and they only sounded better in my system :)

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
For the price $77 per tower or $80 for a pair of bookshelves isn't bad. They sound pretty good, but they do requires more volume than other speakers probably due to their lower sensitivity.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I listened to the BS22s at BB and was actually surprised at how well they did in the horrible environment. That's why I bought them and they only sounded better in my system :)
John, that's a tough decesion, I have both and really like the sound of the 52s and 22s, the 52s can be played very loud with no noticeable distortion, the 22s are no slouch either. Get them both and do side by and make a choice and return the ones you don't want. They both sound good in my space which is 14' X 26', to put it simply I don't think there's a wrong choice here, both will satisfy. If no sub, I would lean towards the 52s, just MHO.
Cheers Jeff

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I noticed the deal on Amazon actually does not say they are in stock and the wait time is 1-2 months for the BS22s and 1-2 weeks for the 52s, though I think they are gearing up to compete on sale prices this holiday weekend. I've ordered stuff like that before and had them fulfill in a week or so, but I've also ordered things and had them come back and say "would you like to cancel your order because it is taking so long?"

I am kind of thinking about picking up a little more serious set of speakers and moving the current BS22s to the second system.

ahblaza

ahblaza

I noticed the deal on Amazon actually does not say they are in stock and the wait time is 1-2 months for the BS22s and 1-2 weeks for the 52s, though I think they are gearing up to compete on sale prices this holiday weekend. I've ordered stuff like that before and had them fulfill in a week or so, but I've also ordered things and had them come back and say "would you like to cancel your order because it is taking so long?"

I am kind of thinking about picking up a little more serious set of speakers and moving the current BS22s to the second system.
That just happened to me with the Panasonic TC-P65ST60 TV, they said they didn't know when or if it would be back in stock, two days later it was in stock. I think a more serious speaker that you're thinking about is the Epos Epic 2s, excellent choice especially at Music Direct 50% off at $399 the pair, that's a lot of speaker for the money. That would be my choice to replace the A/V-2s

S

sbr100

Audiophyte
SP-C22 tweeter

Is the tweeter on the SP-C22 center channel speaker slightly off set? Is this by design or did I get stuck with a B-Stock....pics online its very hard to tell

A

alumiu90

Junior Audioholic
Where is the best place to purchase individual Andrew Jones speakers at the lowest price?

Thanks

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You can check amazon it was $80 a couple weeks back.

A

alumiu90

Junior Audioholic
Yeah they are $137 now. I keep seeing forum members mention $80-$99 but have not seen them that low. BB has them for $125 each.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Put them in your cart at Amazon and check daily, when they hit the $8-99 price, either buy them there or print your cart and take it to Best Buy and they will match the price guaranteed, check Frys also. Amazon has weekend sales all the time so like I said check your cart daily after you put them in there.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah they are $137 now. I keep seeing forum members mention $80-$99 but have not seen them that low. BB has them for $125 each.
Which ones are you talking about? $80 was for a pair of BS22s, not the FS52s. $125 each would be the price for the 52s. Usually if you don't get in on the sales, you are going to pay the normal prices and $125/ea for 52s is about average.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I haven't checked the price at Tiger Direct, but when I bought my speakers, Best Buy matched the Tiger Direct prices.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Great deals, but in store pickup only and they closed my local Microcenter.

I haven't checked the price at Tiger Direct, but when I bought my speakers, Best Buy matched the Tiger Direct prices.
That's the first place I checked too, but prices are up now that the holiday is over.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis