Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-PK52FS review

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
^^Maybe they have one close to your other home? The one in NY Is not close to me either. Hopefully someone can benefit from this sale.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
^^Maybe they have one close to your other home? The one in NY Is not close to me either. Hopefully someone can benefit from this sale.
According to the site there isn't one in northern California anymore, only SoCal.

A

alumiu90

Junior Audioholic
How do the Infinity P363's compare to the FS52's. Are the Infinity's worth the price spread between the two?

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I just noticed the center is on sale at Amazon for 59.99. It's the lowest I've seen.

E

EdOz

Enthusiast
i read through the 75 pages on the thread. Whew! Lots of good feedback. Thanks to all.

Many of the posts concerning the BS22's and the FS52's were from members who shared their experiences with listening to music. I, on the other hand, will be using my system primarily for movies and would like a bit more feedback as to the merits of using BS22's vs. FS52's as front L/R speakers.

The rest of my system will consist of the Pioneer center, two BS22's for surrounds and a SVS PB-1000 sub, all powered by a Denon 1713. The room is around 200 sq ft.

My local BB's don't have the speakers out for demo and even if they did, I doubt that I'd be able to make a critical judgement concerning the 22's and 52's. I also am not in a situation where I can buy both the towers and the bookshelves, do an at-home assessment, and then return one pair.

Soooo...any and all feedback, suggestions, etc will be much appreciated.

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
Well, if movies are your primary concern (I assume it's boom-bang you're watching and not intimate European art films) then there's no debate in the matter - the FS52's. It simply moves more air and will give you a much fuller sound.

I'm sure someone will come along and be more technical than me but I'm pretty sure no one will disagree.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
i read through the 75 pages on the thread. Whew! Lots of good feedback. Thanks to all.

Many of the posts concerning the BS22's and the FS52's were from members who shared their experiences with listening to music. I, on the other hand, will be using my system primarily for movies and would like a bit more feedback as to the merits of using BS22's vs. FS52's as front L/R speakers.

The rest of my system will consist of the Pioneer center, two BS22's for surrounds and a SVS PB-1000 sub, all powered by a Denon 1713. The room is around 200 sq ft.

My local BB's don't have the speakers out for demo and even if they did, I doubt that I'd be able to make a critical judgement concerning the 22's and 52's. I also am not in a situation where I can buy both the towers and the bookshelves, do an at-home assessment, and then return one pair.

Soooo...any and all feedback, suggestions, etc will be much appreciated.
So.....it looks like you will purchase the BS22 either way. Either for fronts and surrounds or only for surrounds.

How about you buy the BS22 and use them as the front L/R to see how they perform in your room. Then, you either get another pair of BS for surrounds, or get the FS for the L/R and move the BS to surrounds.

Problem solved.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Since you have the PB1000, I'd vote for the 22's as well.

E

EdOz

Enthusiast
Quote from #748: "So.....it looks like you will purchase the BS22 either way. Either for fronts and surrounds or only for surrounds.

How about you buy the BS22 and use them as the front L/R to see how they perform in your room. Then, you either get another pair of BS for surrounds, or get the FS for the L/R and move the BS to surrounds.

Problem solved."

What a great idea. Wish I'd thought of that. (Duh!)

Have got a PB-1000 on order and will search the net for the best price on the Pioneers. Then off to BB for a price match.

In the meantime feel free to post your comments about the BS22 vs. the FS52 for HT.

Thanks again for the feedback.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What a great idea. Wish I'd thought of that. (Duh!)

Have got a PB-1000 on order and will search the net for the best price on the Pioneers. Then off to BB for a price match.

In the meantime feel free to post your comments about the BS22 vs. the FS52 for HT.

They aren't likely to be on sale until around Black Friday again. They go on sale every few months and right now they are at the higher end of their average pricing. The FS52s are on sale right now for a decent price, including at BB.

22s vs. 52s for HT is personal preference. The 22s blend find with any decent sub and the PB1000 definitely is one of those. The 52s would allow you to set a lower x-over for them and remove some sound going to the sub so it does a little less work, though I doubt that is going to be an issue for the PB1000. The FS52s will also have more output due to the additional driver adding sensitivity.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The 52 will have a somewhat wider sound stage - handle a little more power - and has a little
more bass >> however, the 22 will not run into a corner and cry, from fear of the 52. The 22
is not a wimp, and will hold its own against some popular bigger bookshelves.

The 52 is a good option, if mainly home theater - for music, I prefer the 22

E

EdOz

Enthusiast
* What about the reported slightly elevated high end (also visible in freq response graphs) of the FS vs. the BS? Is this noticeable in HT use?

* And now...stands. The Sanus Euro look, three leg base design is seen a lot on sites. Go for that one or is there a better, reasonably priced stand that will provide the 22's with a solid foundation. My audiophile experience tells me stands can make a difference - carpet/floor spikes, blutac, and so on - but I also want ones that won't topple easily.

I used (now discontinued) two column metal stands, filled with lead shot, for my NHTs but haven't researched stands since then.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
* What about the reported slightly elevated high end (also visible in freq response graphs) of the FS vs. the BS? Is this noticeable in HT use?

* And now...stands. The Sanus Euro look, three leg base design is seen a lot on sites. Go for that one or is there a better, reasonably priced stand that will provide the 22's with a solid foundation. My audiophile experience tells me stands can make a difference - carpet/floor spikes, blutac, and so on - but I also want ones that won't topple easily.

I used (now discontinued) two column metal stands, filled with lead shot, for my NHTs but haven't researched stands since then.
While the Pioneer speakers are not perfect - they really are not irritating > they were voiced with
the grills on. The high range in the towers is a little more aggressive - however, still not irritating
to me - the BS22 is all around more smooth to me.

Depending on the source and your hearing ability - the treble, may or may not bother you on movie
soundtracks - no one can speak for your ears.

As far as stands, it depends on personal preference - all that I would prefer is for them to be stable,
and I use something like bumper feet under the speakers - whatever else, depends on your preference.
The speakers mainly need some room from the back walls, corners and reflective surfaces.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Stands don't make any difference aside from getting the tweeter at ear height :) I'd advise BBs instead of lead for ballast simply because lead is sort of hazardous.

S

SoCal626

Audioholic Intern
While the Pioneer speakers are not perfect - they really are not irritating > they were voiced with
the grills on. The high range in the towers is a little more aggressive - however, still not irritating
to me - the BS22 is all around more smooth to me.

Depending on the source and your hearing ability - the treble, may or may not bother you on movie
soundtracks - no one can speak for your ears.

As far as stands, it depends on personal preference - all that I would prefer is for them to be stable,
and I use something like bumper feet under the speakers - whatever else, depends on your preference.
The speakers mainly need some room from the back walls, corners and reflective surfaces.
You can tilt the speakers back slightly. There's a thread that talks about over at AVS Tilting your floor-standing speakers...

E

EdOz

Enthusiast
Stands don't make any difference aside from getting the tweeter at ear height :) I'd advise BBs instead of lead for ballast simply because lead is sort of hazardous.
Yes, you're right re: lead shot. Was speaking generically. I almost certainly used BBs or small ball bearings or the like.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker-measurements

If you see the lateral response family, the rise in treble falls off pretty quickly. When used with no toe-in the shrillness won't be there. I believe this was a design choice.

Also, no disrespect, but you're doing it wrong if the stands cost as much as the speakers :).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They don't sound "shrill" at all to me and I DO toe them in slightly. If you read somewhere in the middle of this thread I think, Dennis discusses his theory on why the center and tower were designed like that, and likely has to do with the tweeter's response as well as the environment they are expected to typically live in.

LOL, the stands I have my BS22s on cost MORE than them. I've had those stands for years though. This is the replacement for my stolen system for now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis