Photos of E's completed home theater

E

ejlmoney

Enthusiast
Here are the photos of my newly completed home theater. I would like to say thank you to all the members of this forum. Your input was essential to my room design and electronics choices.
I particularly want to thank Clint D for his excellent reviews!

Your input is welcome! Please take it easy on me---I did most of the work myself.

My system is a 7.1 surround as follows:

Projector: Yamaha LPX 510
Screen: 92" Da-Lite Cinema Contour
Receiver: Yamaha RX V2600
DVD/CD/MP3: Denon 1920
Front Channels: Energy RC-70
Center Channel: Energy RC-LCR
Side Surrounds: Energy RC-R
Rear Surrounds: AIM8 One
Subwoofer: Polk PSW505

Your input is welcome.

Thanks,
E

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Nice! Very Nice!

Who ever takes a shot at your HT is jealous.

Nice choice of speakers BTW ;)

SheepStar

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
very nice work, I can't wait till I'm able to build a dedicated room of my own, I'm jelous

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
E,

Nice work! All that and only two posts?

Now it's time to share your experiences! Welcome "officially" to the forum. ;)

E

ejlmoney

Enthusiast
Thank you for the nice complements. I know it's only a mid-fi system but I 'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I love the Energy speakers.

Buckeye,
Needless to say, I did a lot of reading and little posting. Everyone here seems so knowledgable. I just did a lot of absorbing.

Ultimately, I'm very pleased with how things turned out. Early on, my wife was very concerned with my "arch idea" and how it would look. IMO, it makes the room. In all, I was able to get things done in about one month--start to finish.

I am VERY pleased with the Yamaha projector. My wife and I spoke with several other friends that own/owned home projectors. They all complained about one thing, "The noise from the fan." This projector is whisper quiet.... you can hardly tell it's on. (At least compared to others we tested)

One question:
I used component cabling to connect the reciever to the projector. Based on what I had read (and what my electronics guy told me) HDMI has difficulty over longer distances. (All told, it's about 22-27 feet from my receiver to my projector.)
Should I consider switching to a HDMI connection based upon my set up or is it too risky with the distance?
(I have the Yamaha RX V2600 and Yamaha LPX 510. Obviously, I'm not yet taking advantage of the 2600s ability to upscale video)

Any thoughts/experiences are greatly appeciated.

Thanks,
E

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Very Nice setup.

Purelink has a fiber/HDMI setup that will be able to go the distance.
http://www.purelinkav.com

Quick question:
Why did you decide to go with a 92" screen, instead of something larger? It seems like there is plenty of wall space for another 12-24" diag.
Is 92" the optimum screen size for that projector?

Reorx

E

ejlmoney

Enthusiast
Reorx,

I got few proposals from AV companies and each recommended a 92" screen. So I decided "the professionals" knew what they were talking about. Initially, I was going to do tiered seating so the seats that you see would be 1.5 to 2 feet closer. After beginning the project, we elected to stick with traditional seating. My wife and I decided it wasn't worth the extra cost for the few times a year we'd have 6-8 people over and need the extra seating.

In hindsight, I probably should have gone to 106". I really had nothing to compare it to (I was actually a bit concerned 92" would be too large). I can say that I have a 56" Mitsubushi CRT HDTV upstairs and I prefer to sit further away from the screen vs closer.

Thanks for the link. If I select a fiber optic cable I should be unaffected by distance? Will picture quality be markedly better (I mean $350 better)?

Thanks,
E

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
very stylish,you did a fantastic job & you should be proud.

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
That system is just screaming GIMME 2.35:1 Constant Height, man its like you are almost there. You have wall space go for it.

Other that mighty fine Aunt Bee.

~Bob

howie85

howie85

Full Audioholic
Very nice setup I like your seating, I had only enough room for 3 across, what carpet did you use?

E

ejlmoney

Enthusiast
Thanks for the nice comments. I have been impressed with the seats they are very comfortable. They are Berkline but I'm not sure what model.

The carpet is Stainmaster. It's a Frieze style. I play cards with the guy who sold it to me so I got a very good deal. He upgraded my pad to FutureGard for free.

Everybody comments, "This carpet is so soft." The difference is amazing. I highly suggest upgrading your pad especially if you plan on putting it on concrete. (For me it's annoying to get all the comments on the carpet. I spend blood, sweat, and tears trying to make a kick *** room, and the thing you notice is the carpet? Grrrrr...)

Thanks,
E

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Nice job. I like how clean your setup is. In fact, it is so clean that I cant spot the equipment rack :D . Most only hope to have something like your setup. Congrats.

howie85

howie85

Full Audioholic
I put new carpet in my room too and from a distance looks a bit like yours. I get the same comments. of course I say them too. I got the upgraded pad and it feels awsome makes the rest of my home carpet feel like s#@t...:rolleyes:

E

ejlmoney

Enthusiast
I put I the electronics in a closet under the stairs (behind the Breakfast Club poster) and moved to a radio remote.

I've often wondered why others don't make more of an effort to conceal the electonics. Who really wants to look at a bunch of blinking black boxes? Of course, it needs to be functional for adding and removing media.

There was an acticle in my local paper recently profiling home theaters. They profiled a theater that the owners spent $175,000 to build. (Acoustic panels, Runco projector, McIntosh amps, etc)
Of couse, they placed all of the electoncs in built-in wall shelves just to left of the screen. They made no effort to conceal them. It took a beautiful room and completely ruined it. For God's sake, they had in-wall speakers that were essentially hidden. Horrible!

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Very very very nice setup. Congrats on your new home theater. :)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I just noticed this, but you OWE it to yourself to step-up to a bigger subwoofer. An SVS or Hsu would make a HUGE difference.

SheepStar

E

ejlmoney

Enthusiast
Sheep,

Thanks for the insight. I think the bass is pretty good but I really have nothing to compare it to. My friend offered up his Axiom sub for purchase but was also willing to bring it over for me to try out.

The Polk is a 12" sub. Would you suggest going to 15"? 20"? Could I add an additional sub to the system? (I'd prefer this because then I wouldn't have to try to resell the Polk.) However, on the Yamaha RX V2600 I didn't see an output for an additional sub?

Your or anyone else's insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
E

howie85

howie85

Full Audioholic
Im using a 15 before i had 2 cheaper velodyne 15 the cht models, I know it might be hard to believe but the single unit i have now puts the 2 i had before to shame. The cost of a good sub is worth every penny..:D Im now using a rsw15 klipsch.

NGL_BrSH

NGL_BrSH

Junior Audioholic
Nice setup.. how are the energy RC-70's.. i'm looking to get a pair at a great discount for myself.. would love some feedback. I've always been a big fan of ENERGY but it seems that the veritas i heard didn't have as full of a midrange as i would like them to have.. especially after i heard some KEF XQ series price less than the veritas.. however all of the ENERGY speakers i have heard have a very very wide sound field which i like alot..
any input would be appreciated.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Congratulations!

I am sure you are enjoying the fruits of your labor. You did a great job and and I like your speakers.

You asked earlier if you should run HDMI and I would strongly suggest you do. Future HD programming may require it.

My only other suggestion is to pull your speakers away from the wall. You have the space which is something a lot of people here wish they did.

I think 96" screen is fine and will give your projector lamp than many more hours before it needs replacing.

Kudos, once again!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis