Photos of E's completed home theater

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
ejlmoney said:
Sheep,

Thanks for the insight. I think the bass is pretty good but I really have nothing to compare it to. My friend offered up his Axiom sub for purchase but was also willing to bring it over for me to try out.

The Polk is a 12" sub. Would you suggest going to 15"? 20"? Could I add an additional sub to the system? (I'd prefer this because then I wouldn't have to try to resell the Polk.) However, on the Yamaha RX V2600 I didn't see an output for an additional sub?

Your or anyone else's insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
E
You don't need a bigger driver, just a better designed driver :). Look at SVS and Hsu models, and see which ones you like the looks (and specs) of. Report back in this thread and I'm sure someone can give you the low down on that unit.

Personally, I would get a PB-12ISD/2 for that room. 2 of them would be sweet, but its alot of money.

SheepStar

E

ejlmoney

Enthusiast
How can I configure two subs for my room? I didn't see another sub output on my Yamaha RX V2600. But maybe I'm missing it?

NGL,
The RC-70s are great. First, I'm not a speaker expert or audiophile so you'll have to take anything I say below in that light. (Obviously, I listened to these in 2 channel mode on Yamaha's Pure Direct) Second, I refused to buy anything for my theater that I didn't see/hear perform prior to purchase.

I auditioned Polk, Klipsh, PSB, & Infinity. I also listened to some Triad speakers but they were never really in the running because they were out of my price range.
The RC-70s have surprising range. In particular, I was surprised at how well it delivered low end bass. This was a huge short coming of the Infinity speakers. I'm not a fan of Klipsh's "bright speaker" technology and I'm confident that I'd have a pretty big headache after listening to these for 1.5 hours (sorry, klipsh fans).
I've never liked Polk speakers. I'm sure they make a great speaker but to me they sound muddy and unclear. This held true to form and the Polk's just didn't have the clearity and imaging you'd expect from a speaker priced at $900 each, IMO. (again, sorry Polk fans)
This left Energy and PSB. This was a really close call. The PSB's at nearly the same price level only had 2 drivers vs. the RC-70s w/3 drivers.
I find the Energys have great imaging, EXCELLENT clearity, and a broad soundfield. You can distinctly tell each instument apart. If great reprodution of sound & music is important to you, then I think you'll enjoy the RC-70s. You can probably get a speaker that delivers a little better in mid-range but I think you'd probably give up something on the low-end. I spent $750 (they were priced at $1000 each) for each RC-70 and would definitely do it again; if you get them cheaper, I think it's a no-brainer.

About movies:
When I watch movies, I can almost never tell that the sound is coming from 2feet below (or to the side). In fact the sound and imaging is so good, it is truely intuitive and you get completed wrapped up in the movie.

Hope this helps!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
You can juse use a y-splitter on your sub-out to run two subwoofers. But yes, I think you owe it to yourself to get a man-sized sub. I think Hsu presents an excellent value with their VTF-3MKII. If you had a pair of those...oh man.

www.hsuresearch.com

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
Congrats on your HT. I wish I had a basement (any spare room) to do something similar. It's too difficult to incorporate a home theater setup, living room, and dining room in one area. :(

Next house. I promised myself.

C

Cozmo

Audioholic
Looks Great

E,

Looks great!! How did you design the recessed area for the posters? Is that another panel or sheetrock layer on top of the wall?

Coz:cool:

E

ejlmoney

Enthusiast
Thanks again for all the nice comments.

Coz,

Your question is the biggest one I get for the room.

The walls were already dry walled when we moved in (but the ceiling had not been completed). The pillars were made from 2x8s placed flush against the wall. I then took 3/4 inch plywood and cut the arches (actually, one of my clients owns a mill shop with a CNC machine and I had him cut the arches). I then took 2 sets of arches, screwed them together, and hung them on the wall. Now, both the pillars and arches are 1.5 inches from the wall.
I then had my drywaller drywall over everything. When completed, the pillars and arches stick out 2 inches from the wall.
The lights are halogen recessed cans that shoot light at an angle on to the posters.

Thanks,
E

B

BostonMark

Audioholic
absolutely love it

From your choice of posters, the way they are presented, to the beautiful black leather reclining theater chairs, even the little poker area behind the seating! Beautiful job!

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
Very nice.

What size is the room, I imagine pretty large but it is hard to tell from the photos.

E

ejlmoney

Enthusiast
Thanks for the nice comments.

The entire room is roughly 24ft x 28ft.
The "theater area" is roughly 14ft x 16ft.

It's really an excellent space. We play cards every Thursday and have a perfect view of the screen.

I plan on adding the SVS Plus subwoofer this X-mas.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
ejlmoney said:
Thanks for the nice comments.

The entire room is roughly 24ft x 28ft.
The "theater area" is roughly 14ft x 16ft.

It's really an excellent space. We play cards every Thursday and have a perfect view of the screen.

I plan on adding the SVS Plus subwoofer this X-mas.
Yar! Now you're Theaterin'

SheepStar

D

DDigitalguy06

Audioholic
Wow,very nice theater and speakers. well done. injoy your movies.. :)

E

ejlmoney

Enthusiast
Thanks!

I posted additional & updated photos here:D :
http://www.showpad.com/Emoney/Home Theatre

In addition to the new sub, I'd like to add curtains around the screen. Also, I recently built a new poker table for the "card area"

Lastly, I caved and purchased a terrestrial tuner so I could watch Fox HD (my local cable co. does not carry Fox HD)

Thanks,
E

E

ejlmoney

Enthusiast
Per the suggestion of many at this forum, I have added the SVS PB12-Plus/2 to my humble theater.
I am now running both the SVS sub and the Polk sub. Researchers can now take seismic readings from my neighborhood.

Thanks again for all the great input from those on this forum.

Thanks,
E

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
ejlmoney said:
Per the suggestion of many at this forum, I have added the SVS PB12-Plus/2 to my humble theater.
I am now running both the SVS sub and the Polk sub. Researchers can now take seismic readings from my neighborhood.

Thanks again for all the great input from those on this forum.

Thanks,
E
Have you tried running the system without the Polk? You may possibly get better results.

What is the biggest difference you noticed with the SVS?

F

f0am

Audioholic
Very nice theater/basement. I dream to have that exact combo! Your layout of everything is killer as well.

New sub looks great, does it overwelm your highs or mids at all? Ive never heard a svs sub, that thing just looks BIG.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Very Nice!

Man, it makes the Polk look like a toy! How do you like it? What tuning are you using? How many other spots have you tried it in?

SheepStar

E

ejlmoney

Enthusiast
I am only running the Polk because I have it and I might as well use it. I've put it up for sale. Hopeful I can unload it to a friend. I ran the YPAO without the Polk. I let the YPAO calculate the crossover....I'm not sure exactly what it is.

The SVS sub is everything this forum and reviews have professed and more. I've been quite impressed with it's raw power. A friend was over the other night (who is no audio/video phile) and was astounded when the I did a before/after comparison of the sub in the War of the Worlds' "The Machine Emerges" clip. This is bass you can feel (Literally, you can feel it pass through your body). After a standard movie, all of my pictures are crooked and need to be re-leveled. This is especially impressive considering the floor is concrete. I've been extremely happy with the purchase.

I also listen to a lot of music. I find it necessary to turn the sub down while listening to music. Is this common? The bass is accurate and tight but can overwhelm the other speakers at the same level it is at movies.

The sound is definitely more dynamic and fuller utilizing the SVS. Honestly, for my large space the Polk is completely blown out-of-the water.

I doubt that I will attempt other locations within the room. In addition to the difficulties with moving the 150 lbs beast, my LFE cable exists the wall in that corner.

Thanks,
E

F

f0am

Audioholic
Stop you are making me jelous, I live in a town home and my neighbors arnt big fans of me as is. I would kill to beable to let everything rip just once!

Again very nice work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis