Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well it's debatable in which order those things happen. :D There are a few around here and AVS who would say he dispenses first then the rest follows :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think "don't need" is just a phrase you're tossing around to talk yourself out of giving into your deep desire to snag these bad boys :D

If anyone didn't need them it's you know who (coughADTGcough) and look at him :p
Guilty as charged. I'm afraid of turning into ADTG, and then feeling an urgent need not only to buy an assortment of speakers (and amps to drive them), but to also dispense prescriptions...

Luke...............turn to the dark side. :eek:

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Just looking at them I am getting a little aroused. Are they ported by any chance? Great speakers, enjoy. Kid, you're doing good, you're on the right track.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just looking at them I am getting a little aroused. Are they ported by any chance? Great speakers, enjoy. Kid, you're doing good, you're on the right track.
Yes, the Transmission Line bass port is on the top of the bass cabinet - upward firing.

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
Fuzz that is one beautiful speaker! Congrats, I look forward to a review once you have them set up in the proper environment.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hopefully soon, I'm still waiting on an entertainment center a friend is building for me as well, so it'll be a few weeks before everything is 100% settled. In the meantime I'll be happily playing with them trying to get the best out of them in this terrible terrible room :D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Hopefully soon, I'm still waiting on an entertainment center a friend is building for me as well, so it'll be a few weeks before everything is 100% settled. In the meantime I'll be happily playing with them trying to get the best out of them in this terrible terrible room :D
You have a "problem" i'd love to "be stuck with" :eek: :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Oh don't misunderstand me, I'm plenty happy to have all of these "problems" :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So does GranteedEV have any concrete news regarding a pair of Phil2 someone may be getting like anytime soon? ;) :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In the meantime I'll be happily playing with them trying to get the best out of them in this terrible terrible room :D
AJ was telling me a lot of these "show rooms" at all these audio fests are like shoe boxes. But somehow the great speakers still manage to sound pretty great even when handicapped with poor shoe box room acoustics. :D

Sure, the room could improve the speakers. But great speakers like these will still sound fantastic even at only 70% potential. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
AJ was telling me a lot of these "show rooms" at all these audio fests are like shoe boxes. But somehow the great speakers still manage to sound pretty great even when handicapped with poor shoe box room acoustics. :D

Sure, the room could improve the speakers. But great speakers like these will still sound fantastic even at only 70% potential. :D
No argument there, they still sound pretty darn good :D

However there are too many things in here as I pack things up, plus the wall they are in front of has different depths so one speaker is closer to the wall than the other which shifts the soundstage off center (dunno if that's a real thing but I think that's what I'm hearing). Plus theres a huge dead spots where no bass hath escapeth. So anything in or near that 4X4 foot square has zero bass in any other part of the room.

I'm pretty sure even those shoebox rooms are at least somewhat rectangular and not packed full of boxes :eek::)

Oh well soon enough :rolleyes:

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
A-weight Peak about 87dBA, but usually below 85dBA. :D

When I switched to C-weight, it was about 93dBC peak.
It just occurred to me, ADTG, as I was using my handheld meter to monitor levels I was listening to on the Yellowjackets, and I was measuring mid-80s average and about 90db peaks. Maybe an occasional 92db horn. And it is plenty loud. But that handheld meter is damped and very slow, because it isn't intended to measure 10ms peaks. So I switched to the OmniMic, and the peaks are coming in, C-weighted, at 98db, so far.

In this thread I was talking about OmniMic peaks - very short - and I think you are talking about the highly damped peaks of a handheld meter. True? If so, we are probably listening at somewhat similar levels. Maybe I'm listening a little louder.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It just occurred to me, ADTG, as I was using my handheld meter to monitor levels I was listening to on the Yellowjackets, and I was measuring mid-80s average and about 90db peaks. Maybe an occasional 92db horn. And it is plenty loud. But that handheld meter is damped and very slow, because it isn't intended to measure 10ms peaks. So I switched to the OmniMic, and the peaks are coming in, C-weighted, at 98db, so far.

In this thread I was talking about OmniMic peaks - very short - and I think you are talking about the highly damped peaks of a handheld meter. True? If so, we are probably listening at somewhat similar levels. Maybe I'm listening a little louder.
I think so. I'm using a hand held $60 digital Galaxy SPL meter measured in C-weight (Slow Response). The peak I've measured was 93dBC.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis