Perlisten S7t Tower Speaker Review

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Congrats, when do you get them?
Kindly request photos please :cool:
Thank you. They estimate “fall” of this year. I suspect it will be before Christmas but no real rush as I will still have the S7Ts. I will provide a picture.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Thank you. They estimate “fall” of this year. I suspect it will be before Christmas but no real rush as I will still have the S7Ts. I will provide a picture.
Good day all. I received the new Perlisten S7t Limited Edition speakers last Friday and will attempt to satisfy member curiosity. They were the second pair produced/delivered thanks to ordering early from Matthew Poes. He also indicated they still have some US pairs available for sale. I have a nice signed booklet labeling them as numbers 3 & 4 out of 100 by Dan. Back of each speaker is also numbered as signed by Dan. The booklet also had Klippel measurements showing close pair match of the speakers as well as detailed measurements of each speaker. Packing was something else. They came in flight cases weighing over 100 lbs each with the speakers weighing over 160 lbs each approximately. Each speaker also came with its own pair of sturdy cloth lifting straps which was unexpected and a nice touch. They are 52.5 “ H, 12 “ W and 17 “ D and look more muscular and classy thanks to the carbon fiber cabinets.
Now to the sound I was not expecting any huge surprises because I was upgrading from the S7t standard edition. But the LEs are much, much, more spacious and room filling. I used to prefer listening to music using auromatic using the S4s Front Heights to produce a nice high wall of sound. But now, with the LEs, I prefer listening to just them in stereo (crossed over at 80hz to the D215s). They actually sound more spacious than the auromatic presentation, and I literally cannot pinpoint the sound as coming from the LEs. I do suppose this could be a happy bias working on my mind but it is a striking difference to me. There is a modest increase in bass when played alone, but as I cross them to the D215s that is not as impressive as the surprised room filling spaciousness.
I also have to admit there is an increase in “pride of ownership” that comes with them as well.

Attachments

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Good day all. I received the new Perlisten S7t Limited Edition speakers last Friday and will attempt to satisfy member curiosity. They were the second pair produced/delivered thanks to ordering early from Matthew Poes. He also indicated they still have some US pairs available for sale. I have a nice signed booklet labeling them as numbers 3 & 4 out of 100 by Dan. Back of each speaker is also numbered as signed by Dan. The booklet also had Klippel measurements showing close pair match of the speakers as well as detailed measurements of each speaker. Packing was something else. They came in flight cases weighing over 100 lbs each with the speakers weighing over 160 lbs each approximately. Each speaker also came with its own pair of sturdy cloth lifting straps which was unexpected and a nice touch. They are 52.5 “ H, 12 “ W and 17 “ D and look more muscular and classy thanks to the carbon fiber cabinets.
Now to the sound I was not expecting any huge surprises because I was upgrading from the S7t standard edition. But the LEs are much, much, more spacious and room filling. I used to prefer listening to music using auromatic using the S4s Front Heights to produce a nice high wall of sound. But now, with the LEs, I prefer listening to just them in stereo (crossed over at 80hz to the D215s). They actually sound more spacious than the auromatic presentation, and I literally cannot pinpoint the sound as coming from the LEs. I do suppose this could be a happy bias working on my mind but it is a striking difference to me. There is a modest increase in bass when played alone, but as I cross them to the D215s that is not as impressive as the surprised room filling spaciousness.
I also have to admit there is an increase in “pride of ownership” that comes with them as well.
Congratulations on a beautiful speaker purchase they look amazing

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Those are lovely!

Are you going to be pairing those with the new 75th Anniversary McIntosh MC2.1KW Amps? Limited Edition of course. I think you should only pair Limited Edition items together. They won't sound good with Non-Limited Edition amps. The mid's won't be as chocolatey with "regular" amps. Full chocolate levels with Limited Edition McIntosh Amps. I believe they're $50k per amp. Worth the investment. Oh, and if you haven't already, you best upgrade all your cables to AudioQuest. :cool:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Those are lovely!

Are you going to be pairing those with the new 75th Anniversary McIntosh MC2.1KW Amps? Limited Edition of course. I think you should only pair Limited Edition items together. They won't sound good with Non-Limited Edition amps. The mid's won't be as chocolatey with "regular" amps. Full chocolate levels with Limited Edition McIntosh Amps. I believe they're $50k per amp. Worth the investment. Oh, and if you haven't already, you best upgrade all your cables to AudioQuest. :cool:
Did not know that limited or anniversary were electronic components. I highly doubt there are any different components or design changes. More likely a construct out of the backs of marketers' necks. Once I hear "chocolatey" associated with audio equipment, I advise all to be alert for an extra raid on their bank balances.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Awesome speakers! These are basically the Porsche 911 GT3 RS of loudspeakers. You are living the audiophile dream!

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Awesome speakers! These are basically the Porsche 911 GT3 RS of loudspeakers. You are living the audiophile dream!
Thank you James. It was your initial review of the S7t that started me down the Perlisten path. Matthew Poes used your review to basically help me choose which LCR combination to buy. Our initial choices were Salks, Focals, Revels and the new Perlistens. Your review just made it easy.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
There is a local dealer that’s a Perlisten dealer but has decided not to stock them. Furthermore said they would not get a pair in to demo. To compound things they have a dedicated listening room then several other rooms with lots of speakers, I asked if I made an appointment would they move a pair of speakers to the dedicated room and was told no. I think I will continue to browse there and buy elsewhere

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
There is a local dealer that’s a Perlisten dealer but has decided not to stock them. Furthermore said they would not get a pair in to demo. To compound things they have a dedicated listening room then several other rooms with lots of speakers, I asked if I made an appointment would they move a pair of speakers to the dedicated room and was told no. I think I will continue to browse there and buy elsewhere
That is a shame. You could reach out to Matthew at poesacoustics@gmail.com to see if he knows of other dealer locations that will be receiving them.

A

aoaaron

Audioholic Intern

Sounds like they need their Perlisten dealership taken off them. As far as I'm aware, Perlisten are NOT accommodating to box shifters as it hurts the brand and dealers who do stock them.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Thank you again @shadyJ.

I asked Matt Poes who also asked Dan why i was hearing an improvement in spaciousness. I sort of assumed it might be happy bias but still was curious. Below was Dan’s reply.

“Hey Matt
I’d say it’s a combination of things (in no particular order)
1) pair matching is ridiculously tight. SE is no slouch but LE is best I’ve ever achieved
2) polar maybe better ever so slightly-we did tweak this quite a bit during listening eval. A lot of subtle things underneath effecting how we use the DPC.
3) drivers ability to resolve details (to me this was a bigger improvement then any simulation indicated) truly a case of listen and verify. Those mid/woofers really are next level
4) bass extension- this always frees up the mid/highs when implemented well
5) losses in the xover are even less than SE version. Exact impact I’m not sure because we didn’t specifically isolate this but it is my hunch.

Hope this helps. “

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis