Perlisten D215S vs JTR RS1 vs JTR RS2

A

aoaaron

Audioholic Intern
Perlisten D215S vs JTR RS1 vs JTR RS2

Any thoughts?
Currently have 4x Monolith THX 15 V2s. Trying to decide on which sub to go for. RS2 price seems so close to RS1, almost deems like its a better value to spring for it.
Will go dual subs with either model.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
This is an excellent question for the main speaker/subwoofer reviewer @shadyJ. He will have an excellent opinion. I would rely on his advice. All three are excellent subwoofers.

If you use money to help you decide (which most people will do) you now have to compare money vs quality. That is a very independent decision process.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What kind of room do you have? What are you particularly trying to achieve with the different subs? Too bad Deep Sea Sound hasn't been active, that could be another choice, and I'd put Funk/Harbottle in there, too.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Infrasonics.

mu other option is ascendo 32’’ sub and dual ascendo 18’’
Because you are mentioning infrasonics and large, if you do not mind waiting 7-10 months for the build times Harbottle and Funk also offer some large and expensive options. They also claim low distortion but I have not seen their numbers tested.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Infrasonics.

mu other option is ascendo 32’’ sub and dual ascendo 18’’
What's your spl and extension goals? Do the Ascendos perform as you expect? Why not more of those?

A

aoaaron

Audioholic Intern
Because you are mentioning infrasonics and large, if you do not mind waiting 7-10 months for the build times Harbottle and Funk also offer some large and expensive options. They also claim low distortion but I have not seen their numbers tested.
Based in the Uk so not possible mate without paying a tonne .
What's your spl and extension goals? Do the Ascendos perform as you expect? Why not more of those?
I don’t have ascendo. I have monolith v 15. Flat to 12 hz . I want 6hz

Into the overkill territory here, so also consider the new RBH 21" sub.

I’m in the Uk, not available unless importing. I think I am going to build my own 24 inch sub. We have a decent driver ht 24. Seems to make Mose sense as I need 3 subs. Can make them sealed maybe.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Did not realize you were based in UK. AVforums has a very robust Perlisten sub owners forum. Very involved particular discussions as well. Their main competitors listed are indeed the JTRs you mentioned above.

I do not have the patience to do DIY (suspect I would be intolerant of naive mistakes) but it has a sense of accomplishment of purpose that would attract the handyman in me.

Is there some reason you are staying away from ported JTRs? They will go lower infrasonics with more SPL.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Based in the Uk so not possible mate without paying a tonne .

I don’t have ascendo. I have monolith v 15. Flat to 12 hz . I want 6hz

I’m in the Uk, not available unless importing. I think I am going to build my own 24 inch sub. We have a decent driver ht 24. Seems to make Mose sense as I need 3 subs. Can make them sealed maybe.
Lot of effort for almost no content at 6hz. But I get the chase/desire thing somewhat. I fondly remember the guy who built 32 18" sealed subs to go there. I misread the option thing for the Ascendos (but don't remember them being particularly good) otoh. What 24" driver can you get there?

A

aoaaron

Audioholic Intern
Lot of effort for almost no content at 6hz. But I get the chase/desire thing somewhat. I fondly remember the guy who built 32 18" sealed subs to go there. I misread the option thing for the Ascendos (but don't remember them being particularly good) otoh. What 24" driver can you get there?
HT24 from One audio mate.
All the other ones need to be imported so a bit risky.

So what brands do not have to be imported there?
Any big box shifting brands mate. No bespoke brands like Funk, JTR, Rhytmik, PSA, Harbottle,

A

aoaaron

Audioholic Intern
Did not realize you were based in UK. AVforums has a very robust Perlisten sub owners forum. Very involved particular discussions as well. Their main competitors listed are indeed the JTRs you mentioned above.

I do not have the patience to do DIY (suspect I would be intolerant of naive mistakes) but it has a sense of accomplishment of purpose that would attract the handyman in me.

Is there some reason you are staying away from ported JTRs? They will go lower infrasonics with more SPL.

The import issues mate. Going JTR requires me to pay £400 for conversion to UK power supply, 20% in VAT, 10% in custom fees, and a pretty expensive delivery fee.

But you raise a really good point. Why am I going away from ported JTRs? No idea. I just assumed sealed is better as I've never owned them but all measurements I see point towards ported actually being cleaner in output especially infrasonically. And most have negligible group delays. Maybe ported JTR or a DIY sub is my answer then.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
HT24 from One audio mate.
All the other ones need to be imported so a bit risky.

Any big box shifting brands mate. No bespoke brands like Funk, JTR, Rhytmik, PSA, Harbottle,
RBH Sound is a brick and mortar big brand.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis