Perlisten D212s vs JTR Captivator RS1

R

ruzun

Audiophyte
I have a home theater that is 16’ wide x 25’ long x 8’ high. I have all Perlisten S series speakers except for the subs. I currently use a pair of mono price V12 THX Ultra subs but want to upgrade.

if you DO NOT CONSIDER COST what would be better for Home theater use. A pair of JTR Captivator RS1‘s or a pair of Perlisten D212s’s? I have an Anthem AVM70 8k av processor that uses ARC Genesis room correction and I do not want to add additional room correction or change to another AV Processor.

Roger Uzun

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The JTR RS1 is a higher performer overall, so if you are interested in raw performance, that is the way to go. If you are interested in other aspects, like appearance, features, build quality, etc., the D212s does make more of a case for itself. Both are great subs, and you can't go wrong with either.

R

ruzun

Audiophyte
Based on my research it looks like the JTR RS1 is probably somewhat better for most people than the Perlisten D212s is. The things the D212s does better would not be as noticeable as the things the JTR does better. Comparing the Perlisten D215s to the JTR RS1 the D215s is better, but the price makes it very prohibitive. Maybe if I can get a big enough discount on the D215s I would go for it, but as far as price/performance companies like JTR and Harbottle make it difficult on larger manufacturers.

A

aoaaron

Audioholic Intern
Based on my research it looks like the JTR RS1 is probably somewhat better for most people than the Perlisten D212s is. The things the D212s does better would not be as noticeable as the things the JTR does better. Comparing the Perlisten D215s to the JTR RS1 the D215s is better, but the price makes it very prohibitive. Maybe if I can get a big enough discount on the D215s I would go for it, but as far as price/performance companies like JTR and Harbottle make it difficult on larger manufacturers.
Harbottle isn't really the same as JTR - its high-end luxury, extremely high performance. JTR is more budget conscious.

Their facebook page just showed a dual driver 18 inch subwoofer reaching 100db @10hz. For the footprint it occupies, its pretty impressive whilst likely having a better fit and finish than the JTR.

Harbottle are probably a league above in terms of performance, build quality, DSP control but also price. The Carbon fiber finish is great. Funk's wood finish looks like luxury furniture, especially their walnut but very traditional.

Their C18L2 is £5.1k excluding sales tax.
Their C24L2 is £8k excluding sale's tax.
A JTR is £2.6k excluding sales tax with a potential 5-10% discount.
A Perlisten D215S is £9k including sales tax but can be had for a lot less in terms of discount.

At 10hz, it'd take 4 RS1s to match the C18L2 or two RS1s stacked together.
At 10hz, it'd take 4 RS1s (or D215s) to match the C24L2 to match it and they'd have to be put into pairs for a +6db output gain.

Obviously you do pay for it. The C24L2 ends up being more expensive than a D215S - but you obviously get superior headroom and performance with limitless compression compared to the D215S's DSP based compression.

R

ruzun

Audiophyte
I guess if I can get a D215s at a big enough discount I will get that. If not I will get the JTR RS1 since those represent a good value in that price point. I don't want to pay a premium for something that might not be better or as good, and I think the Perlisten D212 and lower maybe don't perform as well in some key ways as the JTR RS1 does. For now I am only willing to pay a lot for a pair of D215s's, and then only if I can get enough of a discount.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Harbottle isn't really the same as JTR - its high-end luxury, extremely high performance. JTR is more budget conscious.

Their facebook page just showed a dual driver 18 inch subwoofer reaching 100db @10hz. For the footprint it occupies, its pretty impressive whilst likely having a better fit and finish than the JTR.

Harbottle are probably a league above in terms of performance, build quality, DSP control but also price. The Carbon fiber finish is great. Funk's wood finish looks like luxury furniture, especially their walnut but very traditional.

Their C18L2 is £5.1k excluding sales tax.
Their C24L2 is £8k excluding sale's tax.
A JTR is £2.6k excluding sales tax with a potential 5-10% discount.
A Perlisten D215S is £9k including sales tax but can be had for a lot less in terms of discount.

At 10hz, it'd take 4 RS1s to match the C18L2 or two RS1s stacked together.
At 10hz, it'd take 4 RS1s (or D215s) to match the C24L2 to match it and they'd have to be put into pairs for a +6db output gain.

Obviously you do pay for it. The C24L2 ends up being more expensive than a D215S - but you obviously get superior headroom and performance with limitless compression compared to the D215S's DSP based compression.
That was part of the reason for Jeff creating RTJ, to offer custom finishes.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I guess if I can get a D215s at a big enough discount I will get that. If not I will get the JTR RS1 since those represent a good value in that price point. I don't want to pay a premium for something that might not be better or as good, and I think the Perlisten D212 and lower maybe don't perform as well in some key ways as the JTR RS1 does. For now I am only willing to pay a lot for a pair of D215s's, and then only if I can get enough of a discount.
The D215s is a ridiculously large box hard to integrate into most rooms. Thr pics don't represent how large it is. The D212s is much more manageable and offers the same performance minus about 4db of output. The RS1 is a great sub especially for its size but it's not pretty like the D212s. The D212s still has lower distortion than the RS1. If price wasn't a concern, I'd go Perlisten over JTR. But the JTR is certainly a better value. Speaking strictly about their subs as I'm not a huge fan of JTR Speakers.

A

aoaaron

Audioholic Intern
The D215s is a ridiculously large box hard to integrate into most rooms. Thr pics don't represent how large it is. The D212s is much more manageable and offers the same performance minus about 4db of output. The RS1 is a great sub especially for its size but it's not pretty like the D212s. The D212s still has lower distortion than the RS1. If price wasn't a concern, I'd go Perlisten over JTR. But the JTR is certainly a better value. Speaking strictly about their subs as I'm not a huge fan of JTR Speakers.
Thanks gene.
I have a d215s in my room now and although it sounds phenomenal, it has a peak output of 105db on a sweep at 10db. For its cost it seems a bit bass shy.
How would it figure compared to funk or harbottle in your opinion?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks gene.
I have a d215s in my room now and although it sounds phenomenal, it has a peak output of 105db on a sweep at 10db. For its cost it seems a bit bass shy.
How would it figure compared to funk or harbottle in your opinion?
It has to have more then 105db, it would have never reached THX Dominus from 20hz up. If you're talking about 105 db in room at 10hz, that's no slouch (it very good) and may produce more in some rooms or even your room.

A

aoaaron

Audioholic Intern
It has to have more then 105db, it would have never reached THX Dominus from 20hz up. If you're talking about 105 db in room at 10hz, that's no slouch (it very good) and may produce more in some rooms or even your room.
I’m talking from 10hz .sorry did typo
Yes it’s good at 10 hz not amazing

R

ruzun

Audiophyte
I got a good enough price from my local installer to go with the D215s. So rather than getting D212's or RS1's I went with the D215s's. They fit in my room fine, they aren't really any deeper than the Monolith V12's THX Ported subs I use now and I have plenty of height and width space. At least I will feel comfortable that I got something that really is a first class performer. I did not want to pay for the D212s's and feel like in some ways the RS1 would have been better.

Last edited:
A

aoaaron

Audioholic Intern
I got a good enough price from my local installer to go with the D215s. So rather than getting D212's or RS1's I went with the D215s's. They fit in my room fine, they aren't really any deeper than the Monolith V12's THX Ported subs I use now and I have height and width no problem. At least I will feel comfortable that I got something that really is a first class performer. I did not want to pay for the D212s's and feel like in some ways the RS1 would have been better.

For me, it hits 105-106db at 10hz. I'll need 4 of them to hit 115db.

Sawtaytoes

Sawtaytoes

Junior Audioholic
This is interesting. I'm in the market for JTR speakers and subs, so it'd be great to hear counter opinions! It may not even matter to me, but I'd love to get more info!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis