Perlisten’s THX Dominus In-Ceiling Speakers Great Sound for EVERY Seat!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I think it could be beneficial for height/top speakers to even play lower. Maybe not too. One reason I thing that’s true is there is an atmos demo that I’ve use where a mixer uses his voice as an object and basically does speaker ID while panning around the room. When he goes to my RSL c34e’s his voice gets tubbier. Those speakers are crossed higher than my bed layer and I’m sure that’s why they sound that way. I’ve never noticed in regular content, but it’s annoying in the demo.
Here’s a link for his second one. It’s a lot of fun as he’s using a recording of a Porsche on a racetrack and changes object size etc.

If you go here, the Atmos file is in the description. Since YT doesn’t support Atmos you have to download it to a thumb drive and play it back in your BD player.
The other video is where he only uses his voice. Both are a lot of fun.
I gotta check out this link

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
There’s a reason studios mixing atmos tracks use matching speakers all the way around. These aren’t the limited mono surround signal days of old. “Objects” moving around the room should be moved using speakers of matching capabilities. Many cannot accommodate large speakers on their ceiling for one reason or another but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t get as close to their mains as they can when configuring for Atmos. Just don’t overspend on the damn things.
View attachment 63556
View attachment 63557
For a long time surrounds and overheads have been getting more material I am glad this knowledge is becoming more mainstream

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Those Perlisten's are nice looking. But, I think I will just stick with putting 6 RBH-831's in my ceiling for my ATMOS. Those should work pretty good. :cool:
What are you trying to say? You don't want to spend $21,000 on your six in-ceiling speakers? What a cheapskate. Haha. :D

Yeah, whether it is the Mains or Surrounds/ATMOS, I think the salient thing is going to the DYNAMICS - the ability to play at high volume with less distortion. The 21" overkill subs can handle the low bass just fine. :D

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Paradigm Elite in-ceiling speakers with angle baffles are excellent and I use them in my family room w great success.
I opted for the Pro series, a step down from the Elite. I only have room for one pair of ATMOS 15 degrees in front of the MLP, so didn't see the need for the angled baffles. I have been very happy with the result.

I would not quote MSRP as most dealers will bargain. I picked up the CI Pro P65 at 50% of retail, so $500 Cdn or $370 US for the pair (not horrendous for in-ceiling). The P65 is rated at 75-22k Hz +/- 3dB with extension down to 41Hz and at 30 degrees off axis it is still 75-18k Hz +/- 3dB, so at the MLP the response remains good.

When I first got into HT the general consensus was that surrounds did not have to be that good because they just carried ambient effects. That has certainly changed and I am learning first hand the importance of having good quality speakers for surrounds, not just the front three. I experimented with small Cantons as side surrounds and flat panels for on-wall rear surrounds but the result has not been very good. I'll probably remove the flat panels entirely as they lack any bass output and plan to upgrade the sides to the Philharmonic Ceramic Mini or True Mini as space is limited. Cheap surrounds just don't cut it any more.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I gotta check out this link
Yeah man, it’s pretty cool. One section he talks about the engine sound, and how it’s a rear engine car, so he places the engine sounds at the rear of the room. Can’t remember which speakers it used but it’s awesome. The vocal demo is great too, although very much more subtle. Be nice to not have to save to a drive etc, but they’re worth having in the collection. Demolandia has some good material as well.
I’ve also seen lots of reports on the SACT disk for adjusting delays and distances for best imaging and object placement. You can even select different speaker pairs to check phantom imaging. I have personal reasons for not buying it, but getting the most performance of my system may override that. Lol.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
What are you trying to say? You don't want to spend $21,000 on your six in-ceiling speakers? What a cheapskate. Haha. :D

Yeah, whether it is the Mains or Surrounds/ATMOS, I think the salient thing is going to the DYNAMICS - the ability to play at high volume with less distortion. The 21" overkill subs can handle the low bass just fine. :D
Hahaha, figure I'll save the $21k and use it for one my RBH 21" subs. I will need 4 of them at the very least, in my next build! :cool: :D

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah man, it’s pretty cool. One section he talks about the engine sound, and how it’s a rear engine car, so he places the engine sounds at the rear of the room. Can’t remember which speakers it used but it’s awesome. The vocal demo is great too, although very much more subtle. Be nice to not have to save to a drive etc, but they’re worth having in the collection. Demolandia has some good material as well.
I’ve also seen lots of reports on the SACT disk for adjusting delays and distances for best imaging and object placement. You can even select different speaker pairs to check phantom imaging. I have personal reasons for not buying it, but getting the most performance of my system may override that. Lol.
I put that demo on a thumb drive after you sent it to me a while back. It plays back perfectly when plugged into the UBP-X800M2 with Atmos metadata intact.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think it could be beneficial for height/top speakers to even play lower. Maybe not too. One reason I thing that’s true is there is an atmos demo that I’ve use where a mixer uses his voice as an object and basically does speaker ID while panning around the room. When he goes to my RSL c34e’s his voice gets tubbier. Those speakers are crossed higher than my bed layer and I’m sure that’s why they sound that way. I’ve never noticed in regular content, but it’s annoying in the demo.
Here’s a link for his second one. It’s a lot of fun as he’s using a recording of a Porsche on a racetrack and changes object size etc.

If you go here, the Atmos file is in the description. Since YT doesn’t support Atmos you have to download it to a thumb drive and play it back in your BD player.
The other video is where he only uses his voice. Both are a lot of fun.
I downloaded that Atmos file and put it on a thumb drive. No matter what I did it would not play on my Panasonic DP-UP9000 BD player. The video was fine, but you could get no audio, no matter what audio settings you used. The Player plays Atmos BDs fine.

So I downloaded the file to my HTPC. That played it fine, and it is a wonderful demonstration of the Atmos technology.

I put an icon on my Internet browser screen for it, so I can demonstrate it quickly to visitors.

The thing that surprises me is how well the sound does localize. I was not surprised about left right and center, but the ability to put the center sound high and then down close to the floor I can't really explain, as there are no floor speakers.

The sound was very even around the room. I thought the helicopter was very impressive, and it flew seamlessly down the room and into the distance rear left.
I did play it loud to see if it would overload those ceiling speakers and it did not. I doubt I would play a movie that loud. It sounded amazingly life like. In fact there was total realism. You would have thought it was the real thing. So this confirmed my judgement that those Mark Audio speakers are an excellent choice for Atmos ceiling speakers. I doubt it would make one wit of difference if I spent thousands on ceiling speakers, and I have a hunch it would not be as good.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Though not convenient for those with wall mounted TVs, the demo worked properly when I plugged the thumb drive into my LG C1 as well. The thumb drive simply becomes one more selectable input source in the list of TV inputs and the Magic Remote behaves as if it was controlling any other one of the TV’s apps or controllable devices. So, no having to deal with a separate device and remote, mouse or keyboard.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Though not convenient for those with wall mounted TVs, the demo worked properly when I plugged the thumb drive into my LG C1 as well. The thumb drive simply becomes one more selectable input source in the list of TV inputs and the Magic Remote behaves as if it was controlling any other one of the TV’s apps or controllable devices. So, no having to deal with a separate device and remote, mouse or keyboard.
I thought of doing that, but could not get to the HDMI inputs on the TV.

Anyhow, my HTPC is what I use by far the most. It is fast and handy and uses a gamer board. So actually I find the HTPC the best of all my streaming options.
I now have in the hard drive and an Icon on the startup screen, so I can show the video in seconds. I has a gamer board and comes out of sleep mode right away. The only thing I have connected to the TV is my AVP. I seldom use the TV apps and eARC. Basically I only use it for BPO Atmos streams.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I downloaded that Atmos file and put it on a thumb drive. No matter what I did it would not play on my Panasonic DP-UP9000 BD player. The video was fine, but you could get no audio, no matter what audio settings you used. The Player plays Atmos BDs fine.

So I downloaded the file to my HTPC. That played it fine, and it is a wonderful demonstration of the Atmos technology.

I put an icon on my Internet browser screen for it, so I can demonstrate it quickly to visitors.

The thing that surprises me is how well the sound does localize. I was not surprised about left right and center, but the ability to put the center sound high and then down close to the floor I can't really explain, as there are no floor speakers.

The sound was very even around the room. I thought the helicopter was very impressive, and it flew seamlessly down the room and into the distance rear left.
I did play it loud to see if it would overload those ceiling speakers and it did not. I doubt I would play a movie that loud. It sounded amazingly life like. In fact there was total realism. You would have thought it was the real thing. So this confirmed my judgement that those Mark Audio speakers are an excellent choice for Atmos ceiling speakers. I doubt it would make one wit of difference if I spent thousands on ceiling speakers, and I have a hunch it would not be as good.
Mark, I seem to recall a list of players that wouldn’t play Atmos demos from a thumb drive. Been awhile but I think the 9000 was on it. I’m very glad my 700 does! Did you use the one with the Porsche, or the voice? They’re both very good. I’ve been really thinking of getting the SACT disk to optimize delays and levels. Must swallow my pride first lol.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Mark, I seem to recall a list of players that wouldn’t play Atmos demos from a thumb drive. Been awhile but I think the 9000 was on it. I’m very glad my 700 does! Did you use the one with the Porsche, or the voice? They’re both very good. I’ve been really thinking of getting the SACT disk to optimize delays and levels. Must swallow my pride first lol.
You are probably right, but that player would not produce any audio. Anyhow, my HTPC turned in a stellar performance and makes it easy to bring up in one click.
I have to say, I think my HTPC is by far my most favorite peripheral device. I would never for a second think of purchasing one of those awful hunt and peck streaming devices. I just fail to understand why pretty much every member does not have one in their rig. The gamers are to thank for this, as boards that meet their needs are absolutely state of the art streaming devices and more. I have had computers of my build in the rig for over twenty years now.
I do think these are devices all members should consider adding to their systems.

The one I downloaded has the voice, helicopter and the Porsche.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
This one is just voice, but is just as interesting. Just nice and simple. It’s the first one he did I believe.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis