PB13-Ultra, Baby!!!!!!

TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
Bump to the top :D Well approximately in 2 weeks or so i'll have my funds available and i'll be making my desicion so I was wondering how your feelings are for your sub any negatives and of course the positives. Since you've had it for a while and been able to tweak the settings and enjoy some movies and music. Well hope your enjoying it and your input would be greatly appreciated :)

TJHUB

TJHUB

Audioholic Intern
Look what I got today...(hint: it's the one in the middle) :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
congrats TJHUB, please A/B compare the plus and ultra for us.

it would seem every other person is getting an ultra :)

TheFactor

TheFactor

Nice!!!!!!!!! you were wright Mike that black does look nice too.

J

jamie2112

Banned
YEAH buddy that is one sweeeet sub there TJHUB. Now you can change you name to TJ SUB...:D

J

jamie2112

Banned
I saw that and commented on how cute your little guy was. Those are amazing. Just the boxes are no joke.:eek:

TJHUB

TJHUB

Audioholic Intern
For those that asked for a comparison of the PC+ to the PB-Ultra. I didn't get a whole lot of time to really listen, but I can give my first impressions:

I EQ my subs with Room EQ Wizard and a Behringer Feedback Destroyer. The first thing I did when I set the sub in place was EQ it. I was surprised to see that the Ultra's un-EQ'd frequency response was VERY close to my PC+'s un-EQ'd frequency response. I was able to used 2 filters to get a nice flat response at my listening position just like the PC+.

Movies: The Ultra definitely shakes the floor with more authority, but it's not night and day. War of the Worlds was destructive with the PC+, but the Ultra is almost catastrophic. :D The floor seemed to vibrate at a lower frequency which I think is mainly due to the fact that the Ultra is a lot heavier than the PC+ and therefore resonates at a lower frequency (if this even makes sense :rolleyes:). While both subs really shake my room, the Ultra seems to do it more effortlessly.

Music: I was pretty happy with my PC+, but the Ultra is showing itself to be more transparent sounding. The BFD really allows both subs to blend extremely well with my B&W 805S's, but the Ultra seems to disappear a bit better. The bass sounds slightly different. I think I may hear some over-hang with the PC+ that just isn't their with the Ultra. I also think the Ultra is a little punchier in the upper bass or midbass regions.

The difference is not huge between the two subs, but the Ultra has some better qualities that show almost immediately. I really want to take another shot at EQ'ing the Ultra tomorrow for a piece of mind. I also need more listening time with music which is by far the most important aspect of my sub. If it doesn't sound awesome for music, I couldn't care less how it performs for movies. It takes me a few days of listening to really know how I feel about changes to my setup.

If anyone is interested, I could post some REW graphs sometime tomorrow.

The best thing about the Ultra is that it's a b-stock, but upon the closest examination, I'd have to say it's brand new. There is no dust specs anywhere, and I couldn't find even the tiniest mark or fingerprint. Man, did I get a deal on this baby! :D:D:D

TJHUB

TJHUB

Audioholic Intern
TJHUB,

Nice little write-up. Thanks very much.
You're most welcome. :)

I can't wait until later tonight when I get some time to listen and tweak some more. The biggest thing I want to try is to orient the sub sideways so that the driver faces my entertainment center. This thing is just too big to face forward like I have it. :(

TheFactor

TheFactor

Bump to the top..........:D SoundMan haven't heard from you in a while can you give us a update on your ULTRA ? do you still have it ? You've been real quiet lately on the ULTRA scene :confused:

Last edited:
croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Bump to the top..........:D SoundMan haven't heard from you in a while can you give us a update on your ULTRA ? do you still have it ? You've been real quiet lately on the ULTRA scene :confused:
My guess is he's been jammin' so much that AH has fallen a little lower on his list of things to do...:D

TheFactor

TheFactor

My guess is he's been jammin' so much that AH has fallen a little lower on his list of things to do...:D
Ya Thats what I was hoping but I've seen him on other parts of the AH forum the other day . Maybe the bass was so intense he lost track of his thread and got disorientated:p:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis