Pb1000 or klipsch 115sw to go with pb2000

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
My upstairs theater has a pb2000 and a pb1000. I have a chance to get a like new klipsch 115sw for a very good price.

would you replace the pb1000 with it or not worth the bother?

btw 100% home theater

Thanks for any thoughts

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A 115SW will add a lot of mid-bass. it will have a lot more mid-bass output than even the PB-2000. I think it might be a worthy addition for a good price.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What kind of deal are we talking? I'm pretty sure I did read that some of Klipsch's newer subs aren't bad and I think that's one of them. I'm with Bill and would rather get a matching sub, but I might be tempted for the right price.

Here's a review with some measurements.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Klipsch subs with numbers like 112SW or 115SW are good designs. Their model with numbers like 12SW or 15SW are the type of sub that has given Klipsch a fairly poor reputation for subwoofers.
Brent Butterworth did a pretty good review (with measurements) of the Klipsch R-115SW for HomeTheaterReview:
If you have found a good deal on one of these, it is a good subwoofer!
At MSRP, you can do better, but hopefully no one pays MSRP for Klipsch (because it is easy to find them discounted)!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Klipsch subs with numbers like 112SW or 115SW are good designs. Their model with numbers like 12SW or 15SW are the type of sub that has given Klipsch a fairly poor reputation for subwoofers.
Brent Butterworth did a pretty good review (with measurements) of the Klipsch R-115SW for HomeTheaterReview:
If you have found a good deal on one of these, it is a good subwoofer!
I almost rated this post "old" just to mess with you, lol.

*Edit: To be perfectly honest I think it was you I remember reading about them in another thread and posted that same review!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My biggest issue is that the phase responses will be very different, and in a mainly HT system I still think it could cause more problems than solve.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My biggest issue is that the phase responses will be very different, and in a mainly HT system I still think it could cause more problems than solve.
That's where my lack of experience comes in. Just making sure you guys weren't having a knee-jerk Klipsch sub reaction. I felt my leg twitch when I first read it myself, lol.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That's where my lack of experience comes in. Just making sure you guys weren't having a knee-jerk Klipsch sub reaction. I felt my leg twitch when I first read it myself, lol.
Well, I definitely have an aversion to the big K subs as ryan would say. IMO they mostly serve to muddy the waters for quality bass.

Edit: content removed

So yeah, I did have a knee jerk admittedly, but I still think OP’s best money is to wait. Two pb2k’s imo, will be better than a PB and the Klipsch, and also take less work(hopefully) to integrate.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
It’s the fact that it’s sub $400 and like new. It essentially would be replacing a pb1000 and would pair with a pb2000. Is it just me or is the pb1000 fairly tame? I think that’s where we maybe Sometimes mistake quality bass for less slam or does it just not put out much? At that price I’m really tempted but a full SVS lineup across the front with the 2000 and 1000 might not be worth messing with. I’m torn

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The phase problems come from the DSP delay in the SVS sub. There is like a 20 ms delay from the processing. If the OP had independently controllable sub outputs on his AVR that could be accommodated by increasing the distance of the speakers and other sub by 20 ms. But he probably doesn't. However, distance differences from room placement and room modes are already causing all kinds of havoc with the room response. The addition of a new source of low frequencies probably isn't going to make things worse. But you may be right that to replace one of the subs that do have similar delay with something that has no delay might be the source of problems, so maybe it isn't worth upgrading the sub to Klipsch.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It’s the fact that it’s sub $400 and like new. It essentially would be replacing a pb1000 and would pair with a pb2000. Is it just me or is the pb1000 fairly tame? I think that’s where we maybe Sometimes mistake quality bass for less slam or does it just not put out much? At that price I’m really tempted but a full SVS lineup across the front with the 2000 and 1000 might not be worth messing with. I’m torn
The pb1000 is pretty tame, compared to many others yes. It’s a great entry level sub, and many people never even have a desire for more. However, even the pb2k is a big step up from the 1000. Both in quality and quantity. Obviously it’s your call, but if you can save a little longer(or already have it) I would personally get the pb2k. Maybe I’m the only one?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The phase problems come from the DSP delay in the SVS sub. There is like a 20 ms delay from the processing. If the OP had independently controllable sub outputs on his AVR that could be accommodated by increasing the distance of the speakers and other sub by 20 ms. But he probably doesn't. However, distance differences from room placement and room modes are already causing all kinds of havoc with the room response. The addition of a new source of low frequencies probably isn't going to make things worse. But you may be right that to replace one of the subs that do have similar delay with something that has no delay might be the source of problems, so maybe it isn't worth upgrading the sub to Klipsch.
Yeah for sure, the room will be making a mess no matter what. But also, correct me if I’m wrong. I believe the natural phase response of the ports/tunes will be very different and since that covers a pretty wide range, it seems to me that would be problematic. The other reason I keep going back to that is, I’ve been in conversations with Ed about the same topic and he even recommended not using the pb2k PRO with the regular pb2k due to the tuning differences. Same with mixing the 1k and 2k together. Who knows! He might mix the Klipsch and pb2k and be totally happy. As long as he doesn’t do rew and hit the rabbit hole. Maybe I’m just being fussy?

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Well decision was made for me, sold it to someone else....i Think in the end staying in the same family of sub is probably a good idea anyways.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Got sold to someone else today! Decision was made for me. would have Been a no brained if I didn’t already have 2 decent subs but I did so I can enjoy what I have and think bigger :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis