B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
lastnight i watched the remake of children of the corn there was huge explosions near the end. i swear this sub maybe clipped but i don't see how. according to SVS its set in a safe range. in the AVR i have it set to -2,5 and on the sub app the volume is at -10 and i have the volume at -17 when i watch a movie. it just sounded kinda funny on parts of this movie. the funny thing is i have a old vlyodine 12 inch sub beside it which i set to -2,5 then matched the gain to the SVS sub using a SPL meter.and that sub seemed fine

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not familiar with the movie, but hard to know what you heard, too. Is this a disc or streaming or ? Got time marks as to where these anomalies happen?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
lastnight i watched the remake of children of the corn there was huge explosions near the end. i swear this sub maybe clipped but i don't see how. according to SVS its set in a safe range. in the AVR i have it set to -2,5 and on the sub app the volume is at -10 and i have the volume at -17 when i watch a movie. it just sounded kinda funny on parts of this movie. the funny thing is i have a old vlyodine 12 inch sub beside it which i set to -2,5 then matched the gain to the SVS sub using a SPL meter.and that sub seemed fine
-2.5 is really a high level sub setting for an AVR....most room correction will take that down to -10 to -15.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
-2.5 is really a high level sub setting for an AVR....most room correction will take that down to -10 to -15.
More depends on the gain needed on the sub to match the particular pre-out level. I can get my avr req to set my sub level anywhere from -12 to the positive range quite easily, depending where I set the gain on the sub. Each sub varies more than the pre-out level, too. Does bring up the question as to how the OP set levels particularly....

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
More depends on the gain needed on the sub to match the particular pre-out level. I can get my avr req to set my sub level anywhere from -12 to the positive range quite easily, depending where I set the gain on the sub. Each sub varies more than the pre-out level, too. Does bring up the question as to how the OP set levels particularly....
Yeah...I thought about that, but I've never seen too many people turn their sub volume really low just to run really high on the AVR.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah...I thought about that, but I've never seen too many people turn their sub volume really low just to run really high on the AVR.
I wouldn't call -2.5 really high on the other hand. I do prefer to keep it well into the negative range myself by adjusting sub gain appropriately.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I wouldn't call -2.5 really high on the other hand. I do prefer to keep it well into the negative range myself by adjusting sub gain appropriately.
Sounds like the OP needs to run Audyssey and see what it says....

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
i do run audessey and the su. level was higher in the plus region. i called SVS and he told me to manually turn the sub setting down to - 3 to -2 range they simple turn the app volume to -10 the sub will handle it

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Try Ed Mullen at svs. I’ve seen new svs with drivers that were bad and made funny noises on certain passages. Also, is the velodyne sealed? If not, it might be tuned higher and just not trying to reproduce the super deep bass. Don’t know that scene so I don’t know how deep either.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i do run audessey and the su. level was higher in the plus region. i called SVS and he told me to manually turn the sub setting down to - 3 to -2 range they simple turn the app volume to -10 the sub will handle it
So you're using both manual and app controls to change sub gain levels? At once or at different times pre- and post- Audyssey?

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
i run audessey and let it set the level then i change it to what SVS said to do. audessey wants to put it in the + side SVS said no change it to the - side

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
Try Ed Mullen at svs. I’ve seen new svs with drivers that were bad and made funny noises on certain passages. Also, is the velodyne sealed? If not, it might be tuned higher and just not trying to reproduce the super deep bass. Don’t know that scene so I don’t know how deep its the CT 150 which isn't sealed

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i run audessey and let it set the level then i change it to what SVS said to do. audessey wants to put it in the + side SVS said no change it to the - side
The level the avr set is just trying for a target spl of 75dB. You can increase the gain on the sub before running Audyssey to lower where the avr sets the pre-out level. I was asking if you were doing it before running Audyssey or if you were doing both before and after with the manual and app gain adjustments for the sub (or if you changed them both prior to running Audyssey). Does your avr have the target of 75dB on screen so you can adjust gain on sub during the initial setup?

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
yes so when i use audyessy i turn the sub gain to half way run the calabration it comes back and says turn up volume to hit 75db and when you hit it the box goes from red to green then i let it do its thing. when i check the level on the AVR settings its in the + side which SVS says not recommended

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
yes so when i use audyessy i turn the sub gain to half way run the calabration it comes back and says turn up volume to hit 75db and when you hit it the box goes from red to green then i let it do its thing. when i check the level on the AVR settings its in the + side which SVS says not recommended
Right. So try 75% gain?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I'd also avoid having it set in the positive range. You need to increase the gain on the sub to lower the sub trim level the avr sets. Setting gain halfway is just a guess as to a starting point, in your case it's too low, so raise gain on your sub (with the manual or app control) and then re-run Audyssey.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
thanks for all the help maybe i will run the opening to saving private ryan that will be a good work out

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
thanks for all the help maybe i will run the opening to saving private ryan that will be a good work out
Are you running the Velodyne also when you run Audyssey ? If so, you could have some cancellation going on between the two subs...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The attack scene in Hacksaw ridge is more intense, and goes deeper if you really want a torture test. Others too if you need recommendations.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis