Parasound Volume Pot part two

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
As a Parasound owner for quite a few years, I never had a problem until recently, one of my channels in my A52(bedroom amp) started to make noise.

1. Their support is excellent, replied back to me on Sunday, the VP Richard Schram
2. Tony apparently is the only Tech that does repairs, either they don't sell a lot, or seldom have problems. ( I lean toward the later) I found that out because sent mine this week for service and he was on vacation.

I was going to pull the trigger on the p5 Myself and dump the 7.1 in my bedroom which is overkill. I was waiting to see if they fixed the issue in more current releases. Now I see they have their integrated 2.1 Channel, might have to open the wallet again

Last edited:
E

ellbunda

Audiophyte
I wrote about problem to support Parasound. I confirm that Richard Schram is VP. Thay very fast replied back to me on weekend (Saturday) excellent. He apologized for the problem with the P 5 volume control and and promised that Soon this episode will be behind me. I am from Europe. Richard write to me that send new alps vol. pot to my local distributor with instructions for how to change the part. Still waiting and I fear that my preamp will be repaired elsewhere than in the Parasound. I'm afraid if repair preamp properly in my country.

I think that many of the P5 are showing this problem.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I wrote about problem to support Parasound. I confirm that Richard Schram is VP. Thay very fast replied back to me on weekend (Saturday) excellent. He apologized for the problem with the P 5 volume control and and promised that Soon this episode will be behind me. I am from Europe. Richard write to me that send new alps vol. pot to my local distributor with instructions for how to change the part. Still waiting and I fear that my preamp will be repaired elsewhere than in the Parasound. I'm afraid if repair preamp properly in my country.

I think that many of the P5 are showing this problem.
If it's repaired carefully, you should have no problems. Do you know anyone who repairs electronics? Maybe you have a technical training school near and they might have someone who can replace this, if you can't or don't want to.

Subvet

Subvet

Audiophyte
I purchased a P5 about a year ago and it exhibited the problem shortly thereafter and is now getting worse. I have not yet returned it for repair. I expect to do so this fall.

I'm curious if @ematthews has gotten a corrected P5.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I purchased a P5 about a year ago and it exhibited the problem shortly thereafter and is now getting worse. I have not yet returned it for repair. I expect to do so this fall.

I'm curious if @ematthews has gotten a corrected P5.
Hmm. Is there a P5 that doesn't exhibit this problem?

Subvet

Subvet

Audiophyte
I'll answer the last two comments together since they are related.

The Quad 44 was released in 1981 and the little brother the 34 in 1982. So this is 33 and 32 years ago before digital volume control.

Now the best way to control volume is in the feedback loop of an op amp, or via the control voltage. The latter does not require more than one cursor to control volume on multiple channels.

Now controlling volume in the feedback loop does lower the noise floor as volume is reduced and does not degrade signal to noise as the volume is advanced. It also increases head room as the volume is turned down. This latter is a huge benefit in microphone mixers so designed.

Counter intuitively the best volume controls are digital and on the whole the most trouble free.

A variable resistor between gain stages is the most out of date, troublesome and poorest performing way of doing it. That is why there are so few ganged controls available now.

None of these analog solutions would add to cost.
Even if Parasound fixes my P5 perfectly, I'm thinking an upgrade may be in order. I do like the Parasound JC2-BP which uses a "4-gang motor-driven analog master volume control". Based on your comments this sounds less than ideal. Are these type of volume controls to be avoided?

Thanks,
Ed

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Hmm. Is there a P5 that doesn't exhibit this problem?
I spoke to their Service Tech and it's my understanding that part of the build has been addressed in the newer iterations and that before you purchase a p5, talk to your dealer and have them contact Parasound directly to ensure that you have the newer version. (My Point again about dealing with your local dealers) :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I spoke to their Service Tech and it's my understanding that part of the build has been addressed in the newer iterations and that before you purchase a p5, talk to your dealer and have them contact Parasound directly to ensure that you have the newer version. (My Point again about dealing with your local dealers) :)
I still wouldn't take the chance. :D

It's not the dealer's fault. I feel sorry for the dealer (and customer). But I still wouldn't take the chance.

If I bought one and it was having noise, I would return it immediately for defect.

Last edited:
RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Even if Parasound fixes my P5 perfectly, I'm thinking an upgrade may be in order. I do like the Parasound JC2-BP which uses a "4-gang motor-driven analog master volume control". Based on your comments this sounds less than ideal. Are these type of volume controls to be avoided?

Thanks,
Ed
I think there was a bad batch of Pots in some Parasounds. I have an Oppo HA-1 that uses an alps pot without any problems (and I am not aware of any problems reported).

Send a message directly to Parasound and they will fix it. Whatver, you decide, you want a it fixed if you are going to sell it.

- Rich

Subvet

Subvet

Audiophyte
I think there was a bad batch of Pots in some Parasounds. I have an Oppo HA-1 that uses an alps pot without any problems (and I am not aware of any problems reported).

Send a message directly to Parasound and they will fix it. Whatver, you decide, you want a it fixed if you are going to sell it.

- Rich
I will certainly get it fixed even if I get a new preamp beforehand.

I've actually been looking at the HA-1 as a preamp. Not exactly an upgrade but it does look nice and Oppo makes nice stuff, I have the 103 player. Any upgrade has to be fully balanced.

I've got most (over half) of my HiFi budget in my analog front end. I have a VPI Aries 3 w/SDS, Dynavector XX2 cart, the P5/A23 combo, Pro-Ject Phono Box RS and some Source Technologies 266WC speakers. All in a small 14x9x7(height) room.

RichB

RichB

The Oppo HA-1 is fully balanced and a great sounding DAC.
You lose any bass-management and some inputs.

I have not heard the P5, but I can say the HA-1 is an amazing performer. For 2 channel, I feel it surpases the BDP-105(D).

- Rich

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I still wouldn't take the chance. :D

It's not the dealer's fault. I feel sorry for the dealer (and customer). But I still wouldn't take the chance.

If I bought one and it was having noise, I would return it immediately for defect.
According to Tony, if the dealer speaks to Parasound Directly, they can tell which version it is by the serial numbers, so really there is no chance to take, and Parasound Support is one of the best out there in my opinion and personal experience.

highfigh

highfigh

The parts are defective, but they hadn't been before fairly recently, which means it's ALP's fault, but because part manufacturers usually don't do much to support their parts, it's Parasound's problem A) because they have to do something about it without being paid to do so, B) because they now had to find a suitable replacement and C) because they stand to lose more, now that their product is known to have this symptom of the volume control's problem.

Used to be that someone who had a problem with their equipment told the dealer or just griped about it and did nothing else. If the dealer heard about it often enough, they contacted the manufacturer and they would contact other dealers to find out if it's common, or an isolated incident and if it was wide-spread, they issued a tech bulletin and made replacement parts available to the servicing dealers and regional service centers.

Now, the first thing people do is go online to look for info and if they can't find it, they go to the closest forum and complain. Assuming that something is "damaged goods" just because a part went bad and did no actual damage is bad thinking and if the comments are too strong, it's bad behavior. Problems like this aren't fixed instantaneously, nor can they be. Nobody likes to hear this kind of noise but let's not get ahead if ourselves- doing that can do a lot of damage to a small manufacturer and I haven't found anything that indicates they have had other problems with their equipment.

RichB

RichB

According to Tony, if the dealer speaks to Parasound Directly, they can tell which version it is by the serial numbers, so really there is no chance to take, and Parasound Support is one of the best out there in my opinion and personal experience.
Right.
Parasound will have to fix this (not the dealer).
It really does not matter what part number is inside, known defective or not.

Hopefull, Parasound will pay the shipping both ways ;)

- Rich

highfigh

highfigh

Right.
Parasound will have to fix this (not the dealer).
It really does not matter what part number is inside, known defective or not.

Hopefull, Parasound will pay the shipping both ways ;)

- Rich
If the dealer has a service department and they're authorized by Parasound, they can do the repair.

I can't think of any manufacturers who pay for shipping both ways unless it has been a recurring problem.

highfigh

highfigh

FYI, to all of the people who decided that Parasound and Alps suck (it wasn't worded this way, but it's pretty easy to see), it's not actually a defective part, it's dirty. Mine didn't do this until the Summer humidity came and around July, I noticed my control making this sound. It started slowly and wasn't noticeable until certain conditions were met (very quiet passages, mostly) and when I came in today, I decided to play an album and since I use MC cartridges, I need to put the volume control higher than the rest of my sources. I heard it and thought, "I wonder if it's just dirty", so I rotated the control a few times. Now, it's silent. Dead silent. My next step is to take the time to open the cover (since I'm a dealer and was told it's OK) and see if I can give it a shot of Caig. Most of the Alps pots I have seen could be cleaned and I suspect/hope this is the same.

Regardless, I'm going to call Parasound and tell them what I found and I'll volunteer to act as a test subject to see if this is a permanent fix, or if it's only temporary.

I'll assume the ones who decided their equipment is good and this is 'bad' haven't had a problem with theirs but I bet they'll be very disappointed and it's usually a matter of when it happens, not if.

Carry on, Montescue.

E

Enrico Castagnetti

Audiophyte
I sent mine last Friday, they got it on Wednesday and it's on the way back with a new VC pot. I should be receiving it this coming Wednesday. I hope the problem is resolved finally and I don't need to send it back for a new VC pot in a few months... As a side note, Parasound customer service is A++++ and Richard took care personally of my P5 issue.

Subvet

Subvet

Audiophyte
I sent mine last Friday, they got it on Wednesday and it's on the way back with a new VC pot. I should be receiving it this coming Wednesday. I hope the problem is resolved finally and I don't need to send it back for a new VC pot in a few months... As a side note, Parasound customer service is A++++ and Richard took care personally of my P5 issue.
Good to know. I sent mine in last Friday and hope to have it in a couple weeks. I intend to move the P5 to the TV system which will be a simple 2.1 system for movies and CDs.

I have confidence in Parasound and have purchased a JC2 BP preamp and may, later this year, move my A23 amp to the TV system and get the Parasound A21.

E

Enrico Castagnetti

Audiophyte
I got my P5 back today. Everything is working fine and the noise is gone. I hope it stays that way for a long long time!!!

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Not to take away the special customer service, but Richard is their only service guy, so he takes care of all parasound issues personally ;). They must not have a lot of issues otherwise to only have 1 service guy and that fast a turn around period. I sent my A52 in and he was on vacation so I had to wait a little

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis