Parasound A51 vs Anthem MCA 525 Gen 2

Parasound A51 or Anthem MCA 525 Gen 2

• Parasound A51

• Anthem MCA 525 Gen 2

Results are only viewable after voting.
R

RickyG512

Enthusiast
Hi All, potentially closing a deal on the Anthem AVM 70 and could potentially cut a deal if I get the matching Anthem MCA 525 Gen 2, which is a 5 channel power amp.

Question is, is it worth upgrading over my Parasound A51 that I already have, they seem very like for like on paper, thoughts?

I've attached links to their spec sheets for comparison:
They're both 400 watts into 4 ohms. The Anthem has specs for 2 ohms, the Parasound doesn't.

The A51 has better damping factor, but the Anthem has better SNR. The A51 weighs more and is Class A / AB. The Anthem is Class AB.
So yeah, no idea which is better! Please Help!

Parasound A51 (click on specs)
https://parasound.com/a51.php

Anthen MCA 525 Gen2 (PDF spec download)

Last edited:
T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’m going to go out on a limb and say there probably isn’t much in existence that is a true upgrade to the Parasound A51. Lots of other choices if you’re thinking about buying one but if you’ve already got it and it functions well leave it to your kids when you die!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I voted for Anthem because it’s the cheaper of the 2 options. I don’t think it’s an upgrade to get the Anthem if you already own the Parasound though. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The A51 has better damping factor, but the Anthem has better SNR. The A51 weighs more and is Class A / AB. Then Anthem is Class AB.
So yeah, no idea which is better! Please Help!
You are not going to hear any difference in sound quality based on any numbers on damping factor, SNR, or any numbers on SINAD, THD from ASR forum.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yup. Not really an upgrade. Just a different look. Not a great way to scratch the itch. Speakers and subs!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
They're both 400 watts into 4 ohms. The Anthem has specs for 2 ohms, the Parasound doesn't.
I can't believe they would rate the MCA525 2 ohms, that's not believable, not without caveat. Edit: I now remember Anthem said in the new MCA amps the two power supplies are shared between all channels. If that means each one channel can draw from the two power supplies, then yes when only 1 channel is drawing, 600 W into 2 Ohms is possible. I don't like such scheme, and much prefer the MCA50, that did it the way Monolith do, one powers the front two channel, the other power the center and surround channels but that's just me.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is this a good thing or bad thing? does that mean the A51 is better?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
It might mean one amp is more capable than another, whether that's better would depend on whether your speakers are of such a design that need it. Pro amps are often capable of 2 ohm, it's a bit unusual in consumer amps, tho.

R

RickyG512

Enthusiast
The speakers I'm looking to power are 4 ohms with compression driver if that makes any difference, JTR to be exact :) so lower ohm amps are better then? But is it that we're not believing the Anthem is really capable of 2 ohms?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The speakers I'm looking to power are 4 ohms with compression driver if that makes any difference, JTR to be exact :) so lower ohm amps are better then? But is it that we're not believing the Anthem is really capable of 2 ohms?
JTRs with that much power is a bit insane IMO. Which ones? You at some great distance from the speakers or reaching for ear damage? :)

The Anthem is rated for 2ohms as they state. Next best thing would be to see a third party test of such.

R

RickyG512

Enthusiast
JTRs with that much power is a bit insane IMO. Which ones? You at some great distance from the speakers or reaching for ear damage? :)

The Anthem is rated for 2ohms as they state. Next best thing would be to see a third party test of such.
The JTRs are rated at 2200 watts, the A51 is only 400 watts at 4 ohms so thought it might be short on power.

They are the 212RT, which have a sensitivity rating of 101db !!

Only plan on siting approx 12 feet away lol

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
The JTRs are rated at 2200 watts, the A51 is only 400 watts at 4 ohms so thought it might be short on power.

What?!?!?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Dude, if the sensitivity rating is 101 dB and you sit 12 feet away you're at dangerous levels - permanent hearing loss - with 5 watts of power!

You need to play with this spl app a little to get a grip on your actual power needs. Yes, a 4 ohm capable amp is a good idea, but wtf are you going to do with 400 watts?!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I s'pose you could reproduce thunderclaps and jet engines realistically but you'd only be able to hear it a few times before you blow your eardrums into your sinuses...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
.LOL 400wpc short on power with 101dB sensitivity at 12 feet. Wattage rating that high on a speaker is only telling you you could get silly loud before damaging it. Not much to base amp needs on....

R

RickyG512

Enthusiast
Lol so that website says, with 2 speakers, 101 sensitively, 1 watt amp power and distance of 12 feet, I'll get 95 decibels of sound

But the thing is that I already own an A51, before buying the JTRs, and I could sell it for the same price as cutting a deal on the MCA 525 Gen 2, but no idea if its a better amp or not, that's the question

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Lol so that website says, with 2 speakers, 101 sensitively, 1 watt amp power and distance of 12 feet, I'll get 95 decibels of sound

But the thing is that I already own an A51, before buying the JTRs, and I could sell it for the same price as cutting a deal on the MCA 525 Gen 2, but no idea if its a better amp or not, that's the question

If you think it's prettier go ahead and get it. I don't think you'll hear a difference either way tho.

I take that back. You're probably preconditioned enough that you'll think you hear a difference. Which one sounds better will depend on which one looks nicer to you, and which one has the most impressive looking numbers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

It is a slightly more capable amp it seems. Whether that's worth the change to you, don't know. While it's always nice to have the more capable amp, is it necessary? I'd just use the A51 and not worry about it. What subs are you going to use with the 212s? More JTR? Or is this a full range system without subs?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis