Panasonic SC-TMAX towers

N

Nostromo

Junior Audioholic
Back in India we have a rooftop loggia in our second home, also a duplex penthouse. It is good for parties or relaxing drinks with friends. The far corner is well protected from the elements and here I want to place a good all-in-one music device. I was looking at the Panasonic SC TMax towers but cannot understand one thing. When they say it is good for "CD Playback" among other things, does it mean that there is a built-in CD player in the device?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Back in India we have a rooftop loggia in our second home, also a duplex penthouse. It is good for parties or relaxing drinks with friends. The far corner is well protected from the elements and here I want to place a good all-in-one music device. I was looking at the Panasonic SC TMax towers but cannot understand one thing. When they say it is good for "CD Playback" among other things, does it mean that there is a built-in CD player in the device?
Without looking it up, usually that means it has inputs for it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I did look it up (and specifically the model 40), seems to be an all-in one system including a cd player (plays CD-R/RW and CDDA/MP3 type discs). Built in access for a wireless app for streaming too. Karaoke mics. Garish flashing lights, too. I wouldn't own one, but....

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Well I did look it up (and specifically the model 40), seems to be an all-in one system including a cd player (plays CD-R/RW and CDDA/MP3 type discs). Built in access for a wireless app for streaming too. Karaoke mics. Garish flashing lights, too. I wouldn't own one, but....
Oh come on where’s your sense of adventure? :(

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh come on where’s your sense of adventure? :(
I do my adventuring on a mountain bike, thanks. At home I want my gear to be black and in the background. I definitely don't want to sing into it either (and that's for everyone's benefit....).

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
I do my adventuring on a mountain bike, thanks. At home I want my gear to be black and in the background. I definitely don't want to sing into it either (and that's for everyone's benefit....).
You mean you hook your speakers to the mountain bike, pedal like hell and see if you don’t clip in the process :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You mean you hook your speakers to the mountain bike, pedal like hell and see if you don’t clip in the process :p
Well it could be difficult to clip in my pedals with speakers hanging off the bike....heck I don't even like having earbuds in while I pedal....like Verdinut, I prefer the sounds of nature :)

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Well it could be difficult to clip in my pedals with speakers hanging off the bike....heck I don't even like having earbuds in while I pedal....like Verdinut, I prefer the sounds of nature :)
:p

I prefer the escape nature provides as well! Sometimes when golfing in the evenings and the course is quite I like to slow down listen to the birds, watch the random squirrel, chipmunk, or rabbit then take a deep breath and exhale.

Usually that alone is enough to shoot a lower score. Gets me out of my head and just being in the moment. After all moments are all we really have in life might as well appreciate as many as possible:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
:p

I prefer the escape nature provides as well! Sometimes when golfing in the evenings and the course is quite I like to slow down listen to the birds, watch the random squirrel, chipmunk, or rabbit then take a deep breath and exhale.

Usually that alone is enough to shoot a lower score. Gets me out of my head and just being in the moment. After all moments are all we really have in life might as well appreciate as many as possible:)
Golfing in nature? What kind of course do you play on? :) Anything but golf for me....I've tried.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Golfing in nature? What kind of course do you play on? :) Anything but golf for me....I've tried.
Niagara Region has plenty of mature courses to have an adventure on!

The sad truth here is all the population growth. We had a course 10 miles from my place sell their land for housing development. It was a beautiful European style course sold for 250 000 000.

My grand fathers generation will be the last to truly enjoy this green belt region. Canada as a whole has more population growth from immigration per year than actual growth from born and raised citizens.

I’m not against how our population has grown here it’s just to fast for our ecosystem. However that is an entirely different subject so my point is, “like you” I find peace in the smallest of things nature has to offer us.

Golf is my real first passion and I’m glad nature expresses itself to me while I’m playing in her playground :)

N

Nostromo

Junior Audioholic
Thanks. Yeah, I am not so keen on those lights either but we need something like this for the loggia. There is a similar gizmo from LG, the LG XBOOM OK75. This has 1000 watts output against the Panasonics 1200 but it should be enough.

The curious thing is, on the LG's specs they clearly say that there is a built-in CD player but on the Panasonic it is rather vague and says 'compatible' with CD-R and CD-RW. There is no chance that it does not play regular CDs, is there? We have a lot of those and cannot simply discard them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't put too much into those wattage figures, lol. I found the Panasonic site a bit vague as well and the specs imply there is one.....but I didn't look too hard. You just want a simple all in one giant wifi/bluetooth powered speaker with a cd player? A large boom box so to speak?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmm... methinks you could possibly do better but I'm not real familiar with those all in one solutions...

*Edit: Is the ability to use a mic or karaoke something you need?

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah good for taking with you on trips ;)
Oh sure, I can see a use for one such as the OP's intended use. Just never shopped for anything like it myself. My bluetooth speaker is a cheaper water resistant JBL for our bathroom. You know the one!

N

Nostromo

Junior Audioholic
Hmm... methinks you could possibly do better but I'm not real familiar with those all in one solutions...

*Edit: Is the ability to use a mic or karaoke something you need?
Don't know. Something for the loggia for parties and such. Nothing too boomy for my generation.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't know. Something for the loggia for parties and such. Nothing too boomy for my generation.
Yeah, I don't know enough about this stuff to be very helpful I guess. I started googling but gave up after ten minutes, lol.

N

Nostromo

Junior Audioholic
The situation with us is that we are returning to our hometown (for 6 months of the year) after over 35 years and a lot of friends, cousins etc have retired with us. So, there will be a lot of catching-up over drinks and such and regular getting together. We have a penthouse with a large rooftop loggia suitable for such occasions and I thought a bit of music in the background would not hurt. I initially considered something like the Yamaha MCR-B020L but in India people prefer the 'background' to be a bit less subtle on occasion compared with the West and so I was looking at these towers with a bit more oomph. Moreover, people turn-up with their own memory sticks, MP3 players etc and want something played.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The situation with us is that we are returning to our hometown (for 6 months of the year) after over 35 years and a lot of friends, cousins etc have retired with us. So, there will be a lot of catching-up over drinks and such and regular getting together. We have a penthouse with a large rooftop loggia suitable for such occasions and I thought a bit of music in the background would not hurt. I initially considered something like the Yamaha MCR-B020L but in India people prefer the 'background' to be a bit less subtle on occasion compared with the West and so I was looking at these towers with a bit more oomph. Moreover, people turn-up with their own memory sticks, MP3 players etc and want something played.
Remember outdoors sound is different as it carrys further. If it were me I'd probably go with something like a JBL EON 10 and use a phone or laptop to as the source, in mono.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis