Pairing soundbar w/older sub wirelessly?

T

TerriersDad

Enthusiast
Ok, first post here, and I know almost nothing about wireless technologies. I've been trying to read up and learn what I can, but at times I run into issues where I must be misunderstanding some of the particulars regarding wireless tech. I had a decent theater system up until 2010 but nothing wireless and I've been out of the game since then. (long story) I now live in a smaller house and have two subs left from the old system and would like to incorporate one of them into a soundbar setup in my living room. (I just paired one of the subs with Edifier R2000DB's I bought for my computer) I've been researching soundbars and have kinda settled on (although haven't committed to) the Samsung MS650 https://www.digitaltrends.com/sound-bar-reviews/samsung-hwms650-za-review/. I would like to know my options for wirelessly connecting my other sub to the soundbar. I've seen there are subwoofer transmitter/receiver kits available but I'm wondering if there's a way for me to utilize the wifi capability of the Samsung by just having a wifi receiver for the sub that would get a signal from the Samsung soundbar? Or am I misunderstanding the wifi capability in the soundbar? Maybe it receives only?

Another question I have.... On the sub trans/receiver kits... How do ya utilize the subs crossover? Or would the soundbar just run at full range (no high pass cross) and the sub do it's own thing to enhance the bottom end.

It looks like the soundbar has a wireless out (USB?) as well as an HDMI out. Could I somehow utilize one of those for my sub??

I hope my questions make sense. I've been out of the a/v game for over 6 years (and I wasn't very knowledgable back then either) and I'm just now trying to get some things going again and learn about the latest tech. I just bought a 60" sony tv and the sound quality is horrible/intolerable as you all already know. I'd just like to get something decent with minimal spending at this point.

Thank you, Brian

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
That wireless input is to connect the dongle which comes with Samsung's wireless speakers. I can't see any way you'd connect a regular sub to this sound bar.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Nope! That won't work either :(.

The issue that Samsung sound bar having no audio outs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Makes me wonder if the usb port is just suitable for the dongle.... but I wouldn't bet on it by buying something :) Soundbars suck.

T

TerriersDad

Enthusiast
What if I used that audio-wave-link with another audio out from the TV or STB for the Sub and just hooked up the soundbar as ya normally would, independent of the wireless setup for the sub??

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
What if I used that audio-wave-link with another audio out from the TV or STB for the Sub and just hooked up the soundbar as ya normally would, independent of the wireless setup for the sub??
Can it be hooked up like that? Sure.
Will it work? Quite possibly.
Could there be issues? Most likely.
Should you get something other than that Samsung sound bar? Most definitely.

T

TerriersDad

Enthusiast
What issues could there be?

Why don't you like that soundbar? What would you suggest? I want to be able to utilize this sub I already have to avoid buying another one. I just want some decent sound from my tv until I move into a bigger house. Then I'll start to build a real HT system. A soundbar/sub setup will work best for me at this time and place. I'm trying to learn about this so bring it on.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Why don't you like that soundbar? What would you suggest? I want to be able to utilize this sub I already have to avoid buying another one. I just want some decent sound from my tv until I move into a bigger house. Then I'll start to build a real HT system. A soundbar/sub setup will work best for me at this time and place. I'm trying to learn about this so bring it on.
I can pretty much guarantee there will be delay issues. If the sound bar and sub are in time synch with that set up it will be a miracle.

You really need a sound bar with an audio out and preferably an LFE out to do what you want.

T

TerriersDad

Enthusiast
I can pretty much guarantee there will be delay issues. If the sound bar and sub are in time synch with that set up it will be a miracle.

You really need a sound bar with an audio out and preferably an LFE out to do what you want.

What about the HDMI out on that soundbar? Isn't there a way for me to utilize that?

Please check this out and see if you notice any issues.

The above is the Wave-link system I linked to earlier in this thread. Please check this out and see if there will be issues or you think it's a bad idea. I'm just now discovering/researching the issues with delay/latency when dealing with devices like this. I'm learning plenty through this process. I'm trying to find latency specs on this set up now but not doing so well so far.

I appreciate any input anyone has on this setup I'm trying to put together. I see some people don't care for the Samsung soundbar but I can get one for a little over 300 bux and it seems like a decent soundbar as long as I add my sub. Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
What about the HDMI out on that soundbar? Isn't there a way for me to utilize that?

Please check this out and see if you notice any issues.

The above is the Wave-link system I linked to earlier in this thread. Please check this out and see if there will be issues or you think it's a bad idea. I'm just now discovering/researching the issues with delay/latency when dealing with devices like this. I'm learning plenty through this process. I'm trying to find latency specs on this set up now but not doing so well so far.

I appreciate any input anyone has on this setup I'm trying to put together. I see some people don't care for the Samsung soundbar but I can get one for a little over 300 bux and it seems like a decent soundbar as long as I add my sub. Thanks.
You could try and use an HDMI audio extractor. I would not guarantee you won't have DRM issues, but I understand audio extractors can work. I would get one that converts to analog audio via RCA and forget the wireless link if that is what you are going to do.

If you have not bought the soundbar yet, then I would get one that has an analog audio out for a sub.

If you don't there is always a strong possibility of latency issues.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
As TLS said, primarily, delay between sound bar and subwoofer.
Why don't you like that soundbar? What would you suggest?.
Samsung has locked it down too much. They require you to buy the $500 add on if you want a sub to work with it. I'm not big on sound bars. I recommend you not get one at all :).
I want to be able to utilize this sub I already have to avoid buying another one. I just want some decent sound from my tv until I move into a bigger house.
This is a perfectly reasonable expectation. It's just that sound bar you're so infatuated with won't allow it. There's a ton of sound bars out there with a Subwoofer Out. Yet, you seem hell bent on getting it to work on the Samsung.
A soundbar/sub setup will work best for me at this time and place.
Your sub will work with this one without any connection hassle.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AYQWICW
I'm not advocating it. Just an example of what to look for.

T

TerriersDad

Enthusiast
Ok, One more attempt with my "infatuation":mad: and then I'm done with this soundbar. First off, I'm scrapping the wireless thing I was trying to do. Too many glitches with those things from what I understand. I've been talking to some tech people in person and researching online and come to the conclusion that I'm not willing to put up with interference, drop offs, and periodic sub popping noises. I would freak.... no way I'm built to put up with crap like that, even if it only happened once in awhile. (Yeah I know, you're now thinking... but this guy is willing to put up with the crap sound of that Samsung soundbar) A guy told me he has one of those trans/receiver sub setups and his microwave oven cause his sub to pop and his sub won't ever shut off automatically, when he turns everything else off, as it did when hardwired.

Ok, here's my last shot. I'm willing to drill a hole through the floor and come up behind my couch
in order to tap into my sub. Now here's the part that's going to cause you pain..... What if I run an HDMI cable from the HDMI out of that Samsung to an LFE on my sub? I realize the soundbar won't have any high pass filtering but I'm ok with that.

Here's what I'm dealing with on the back of my sub. I guess I can get an HDMI to RCA audio extracter and run a regular LFE cable.
photo (1).JPG

Ok, on the soundbar you hate: I've read several reviews that say that's the best they've heard for under 500 bux. I like the fact that it has 9 drivers and may match up well with my sub.

http://www.avsforum.com/samsung-sound-hw-ms650-soundbar-review/
https://www.digitaltrends.com/sound-bar-reviews/samsung-hwms650-za-review/

I know you won't read those reviews and don't care about them, but it's what makes me want to give that thing a shot.

The more research I do the more I want to just start building a full blown HT system... I just can't do it at this current house. When I finally move into a bigger house, This system will most likely be our bedroom setup and I'll start from scratch for the living room/main tv room.

This is becoming a frustrating situation, but I guess I'm learning some things I didn't know about HT audio. I still have a long way to go. :confused:

T

TerriersDad

Enthusiast
You could try and use an HDMI audio extractor. I would not guarantee you won't have DRM issues, but I understand audio extractors can work. I would get one that converts to analog audio via RCA and forget the wireless link if that is what you are going to do.

If you have not bought the soundbar yet, then I would get one that has an analog audio out for a sub.

If you don't there is always a strong possibility of latency issues.
What are DRM issues? I'm scrapping the wireless link idea.... They don't work well enough for me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What are DRM issues? I'm scrapping the wireless link idea.... They don't work well enough for me.
Generally Digital Rights Management can restrict digital vs analog output for recording/playback purposes.

You just need to get gear more suited to your purposes and future expansion....

Last edited:
T

TerriersDad

Enthusiast
You just need to get gear more suited to your purposes and future expansion....[/QUOTE]

Words of wisdom..... that is indeed a fact. This taught me a lesson for when we sell this house and buy a bigger one...... i.e. - put in my due diligence before purchasing a single piece of HT/audio equipment. I've got a lot to learn before I move beyond this little project.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I'm scrapping the wireless thing I was trying to do.
Ah! We have seen the light.
I'm willing to drill a hole through the floor and come up behind my couch in order to tap into my sub.
Fantastic! The path is illuminated.
What if I run an HDMI cable from the HDMI out of that Samsung to an LFE on my sub? I realize the soundbar won't have any high pass filtering but I'm ok with that.

Here's what I'm dealing with on the back of my sub. I guess I can get an HDMI to RCA audio extracter and run a regular LFE cable.
FML! This is why we can't have nice things. Do you have a dongle fetish?

Ok, on the soundbar you hate: I've read several reviews that say that's the best they've heard for under 500 bux. I like the fact that it has 9 drivers and may match up well with my sub.

http://www.avsforum.com/samsung-sound-hw-ms650-soundbar-review/
https://www.digitaltrends.com/sound-bar-reviews/samsung-hwms650-za-review/

I know you won't read those reviews and don't care about them, but it's what makes me want to give that thing a shot.
I don't hate it. I said, it won't allow you to connect your old sub to it without going through extraordinary effort. Then too you'd have a high probability of issues and failure.

I did read the reviews. How else do you think I figured out the wireless "out" only works with the Samsung branded wireless speakers and sub?

You do realize most overly gushing write ups are product publicity masquerading as reviews?

The more research I do the more I want to just start building a full blown HT system... I just can't do it at this current house. When I finally move into a bigger house, This system will most likely be our bedroom setup and I'll start from scratch for the living room/main tv room.
Last but not the least, I gave you a link to an equally well reviewed and cheaper sound bar. It would be a breeze to hook up your sub with that sound bar.

This is becoming a frustrating situation, but I guess I'm learning some things I didn't know about HT audio. I still have a long way to go. :confused:
Why are you frustrated? You've already bought the Samsung sound bar and are struggling to figure out a way to connect the sub. Right?

T

TerriersDad

Enthusiast
FML! This is why we can't have nice things. Do you have a dongle fetish?

HaHa, I don't even know wtf a dongle is. I thought it was a usb. I've been out of commision for like 6 years so I'm playing catch up.

I don't hate it. I said, it won't allow you to connect your old sub to it without going through extraordinary effort. Then too you'd have a high probability of issues and failure.

Ok, without having a coronary, tell me why an HDMI audio extractor would have a high probability of failure. It would be easy to hook up.

You do realize most overly gushing write ups are product publicity masquerading as reviews?

Good point.... Shills run ramped, without a doubt.

Why are you frustrated? You've already bought the Samsung sound bar and are struggling to figure out a way to connect the sub. Right?

lol, na, I didn't buy anything yet. I got sidetracked with some other projects for a few days but now I'm back to this. I just recently heard the Samsung and it sounds good for the money. I listened to two different Bowers & Wilkins and of course they sounded better but not by much. They were both over $1k.

Last but not the least, I gave you a link to an equally well reviewed and cheaper sound bar. It would be a breeze to hook up your sub with that sound bar.

I don't see a sub out on this Zvox you mentioned.

Last edited:
T

TerriersDad

Enthusiast
Disregard above pic (previous post) of the Zvox.... I got that pic from the Zvox site, but then saw the pic below representing the same Zvox SB500 soundbar from Amazon. (the link you posted) Ok, this seems like a good soundbar for the money as well. If I plug a sub into the sub out, is there a built in crossover and if so, at what frequency will it pass to the sub?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis