Outlaw Audio Ultra-X13 Ported Subwoofer Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Outlaw Audio has recently released their new Ultra-X13: a 1,000 watt, ported beast of a subwoofer that uses a long-throw 13" driver. The Ultra-X13 is only one of two subwoofers in the world that can claim a THX 'Ultra' certification as an individual unit. The THX Ultra certification means it should be able to handle large rooms on its own, and, after we put it through our testing, we came to the same conclusion and have awarded it our Bassaholic 'Extreme' room rating.

If you want to know how well a single subwoofer needs to perform in order to secure these kind of distinctions, read our comprehensive review of the Outlaw Audio Ultra-X13.

Read: Outlaw Audio Ultra-X13 Ported Subwoofer Review

X13_driver_angle4.jpg

A

Asif1980

Enthusiast
Thanks audioholics team for review this product.

Given the $1500 price range how does outlaw ported 13" compared against SVS SB13? Additional $499 for SVS ported 13" is a deal worthy?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks audioholics team for review this product.

Given the $1500 price range how does outlaw ported 13" compared against SVS SB13? Additional $499 for SVS ported 13" is a deal worthy?
Compared to the SB13-Ultra, the Outlaw will have a far more deep bass, but the SB13 has slightly more mid bass capability, but that isn't a fair comparison since the SB13 is sealed. The PB13 is tuned a bit deeper and has a larger cabinet so it does have more deep bass capability and slightly more mid bass capability. I think the Ultra-X13 is more properly compared to SVS's 'Plus' subs.

SB13-Ultra review
PB13-Ultra review

D

dmusoke

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, but the SVS SB13 and newer SB16 have at least twice the amount of distortion as this new Outlaw sub, so that's a huge plus in favor of the Ultra-X13. I'd take low distortion over sheer maximum output. If I need more SPLs, I'd buy two subs and these X13s are affordable enough to buy two of them.

When the reviewer said THX doesn't hand out its certification easily, I'd say that yes, that is true but even truer is the fact that hardly any subwoofer manufacturer dares submit its subs to THX for validation due to their stringent requirements. They don't see the need for it. The latter is the reason why we have only 2 THX certified subs as you've mentioned.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
When the reviewer said THX doesn't hand out its certification easily, I'd say that yes, that is true but even truer is the fact that hardly any subwoofer manufacturer dares submit its subs to THX for validation due to their stringent requirements. They don't see the need for it. The latter is the reason why we have only 2 THX certified subs as you've mentioned.
I would say that is generally correct, but it is a bit more complex. First of all, you have to pay THX licensing fees to use its name on your product. They are not cheap for any of these small manufacturers.

Second, THX's requirements go beyond just having low distortion and high output. You need linearity at a range of drive levels. You also need the sub to handle frequencies much higher than 80 Hz. This is so THX's controller has a firm grasp on the overall sound at every point. Remember that the sub rolls off at a slope at 80 Hz in a THX system, it is not a brick wall filter (24 dB / octave slope). A lot of manufacturers do not want to conform to every aspect of THX specs, it would be a PIA.

G

Giant bubble guy

Audiophyte
This sounds like a great sub. It's interesting that the just released Monoprice Monolith 12" sub beats it both in output and THD (according to the published specs on the Monoprice website). The Monolith is also just more than half the price with free shipping as of writing this. I've got the Monolith on the way and can't wait to try it out. It'll be my first real subwoofer.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
This sounds like a great sub. It's interesting that the just released Monoprice Monolith 12" sub beats it both in output and THD (according to the published specs on the Monoprice website). The Monolith is also just more than half the price with free shipping as of writing this. I've got the Monolith on the way and can't wait to try it out. It'll be my first real subwoofer.
Never loved outlaw subs. Seems like they were always “almost” as good as everybody else’s.
The monolith do look interesting. They’ve really come out swinging with the line.
Congrats on a real sub. You’ll never be the same!

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
Never loved outlaw subs. Seems like they were always “almost” as good as everybody else’s.
The monolith do look interesting. They’ve really come out swinging with the line.
Congrats on a real sub. You’ll never be the same!
I don't know about their subs, but their amps are second to none. Although, I gotta say, this Ultra-X13 sub looks very appealing in all respects.

S

Slickman

Audiophyte
Actually no it doesn't, you have to look at the 2 meter RMS numbers and not the peak numbers. The X13 review used 2 meter rms numbers.

Freq X13 Mono12
16 98.1 96.7
20 106.8 105.3
25 111.1 109.3
31.5 114.1 110.6
40 115.2 111.2
50 115 111.6
63 115.1 112
80 115.1 112.4
100 115 112.9
125 114.6 113.3

Like someone said earlier, it's about the equal to a PB12 Plus though with less distortion.

Freq X13 PB12 Plus
20 106.8 107
25 111.1 109.5
31.5 114.1 111.5
40 115.2 114.3
50 115 115.3
63 115.1 115.3

Last edited:
C

Cain Galata

Enthusiast
The outlaw x13 looks awesome though. I have the x12 and visually, it blends in with the furniture. My wife doesn't have any complaints with it. I think the SVS would get negative comments from my wife.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Sounds like a good sub but the price range is high. Not sure thx means a whole lot these days. I could be wrong. :) The extreme AH rating is much more meaningful than the thx logo. :)

Last edited:
CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Two of the X13's seem like a way better deal than one of the svs pb 4000. But I see the the pb 4000 can go 2 hz lower. ;)

B

Blake NoLast

Audiophyte
The outlaw x13 looks awesome though. I have the x12 and visually, it blends in with the furniture. My wife doesn't have any complaints with it. I think the SVS would get negative comments from my wife.
Yep, this is a huge advantage to the Outlaw subs. I have the LFM-1EX and I love it.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Did you play a sine wave 20Hz ad check to see if the plate amp fitted on it was't leaking any faint air?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Did you play a sine wave 20Hz ad check to see if the plate amp fitted on it was't leaking any faint air?
No. The plate amps on this thing was an extremely tight fit. In fact, it was a real struggle getting it off.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
No. The plate amps on this thing was an extremely tight fit. In fact, it was a real struggle getting it off.
Well least you know about that as I was thinking what NASA does when pressurizing the shuttles cabin then they check for leaks to see if its okay to launch. So same for speakers/subs I guess as I had to check over older speakers that had drill holes and had to seal the holes then run a loop frequency sweep checking for air leaks and resonate noises.

Still maybe a little silicon going around the plate amp as you may never know there could be one spot where its venting air?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Well least you know about that as I was thinking what NASA does when pressurizing the shuttles cabin then they check for leaks to see if its okay to launch. So same for speakers/subs I guess as I had to check over older speakers that had drill holes and had to seal the holes then run a loop frequency sweep checking for air leaks and resonate noises.

Still maybe a little silicon going around the plate amp as you may never know there could be one spot where its venting air?
A lot of these amps are already sealed in with glue, along side the screws, so I wouldn't worry about leaks too much with this build class of subwoofer. However, very inexpensive subs may be a different story.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Yeah cheaper ones possibly. Always liked to have one of those older M&K subs before the company changed its name? As they show up cheaply now and was around cost of above Outlaw THX sub.

M

MrKaffee

Audiophyte
I now have two of these. Bought one last year and another this year. Took advantage of their Christmas specials at $999 free shipping. All I can say is wow! One was really good but two is simply outstanding. I have both situated behind the sectional. Deep deep bass and can shake the entire room - not just the sitting area! I had one set at eq2 but found with two set at eq1 to be sonically superior. Have the pre/pro set to large fronts and to mirror low bass below 40 Hz to the subs. It’s amazing how seamless it sounds. Right now I’m in OMG mode but like many of you am in endless pursuit of nirvana.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis