Outlaw Audio BLSv2 and LCRv2 Loudspeaker Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Outlaw Audio has jumped back into the speaker game after having had a short but successful foray some years ago with their BLS and LCR loudspeakers. The BLS and LCR are back and improved in the version 2 of those acclaimed loudspeakers, and Audioholics has spent some time with the second iteration of these classic speakers to give them a full evaluation: Outlaw Audio BLSv2 and LCRv2 speaker review. The original BLS and LCR speakers were discontinued nearly 10 years ago after Outlaw Audio's manufacturing source closed their doors in the recession of 2008. They were well-liked, and sold well in spite of their $1k pricing. The BLSv2 and LCRv2 speakers not only improve upon the original design but take a very hefty price cut as well, due to advances made in manufacturing. These manufacturing advances compelled Outlaw to get back into the fiercely competitive speaker market after they realized that they could offer an better version of the original speakers for less money.

So how does the BLSv2 and LCRv2 perform and what do they bring to the modern speaker market? How do they fare against competing products? Will Outlaw Audio find the same success as they had with the originals? Will Phil find contentment at last after months of anxious requests over news of these speakers? Read our full review to find out!

READ: Outlaw Audio BLSv2 and LCRv2 Loudspeaker Review

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Nice write up! I'd be interested in hearing these. The response looks pretty darn good especially at the price point..

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Excellent review Shady! Like always, very detailed and thorough. The way you describe these speakers is certainly what I am looking for. Might just have to gives these a try when my finances are better. Thanks for the review and measurements.:)

Cheers,

Phil

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Great review Shady! I'm curious about those LCR as surrounds in a vertical position to replace my Elan Theaterpoint's might have to do a little more digging on these

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Snell made some good stuff -- but it looks like they still did a good job with the somewhat compromise of the BLS 2 for the price point -- they should be put one one's short list of speakers around $600 and down. --- good job with your measurements.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
what speakers would you they are compered to
They are very comparable to anything at their price point. I think they are easily competing to much of what is out there at $1k a pair and lower.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe after I buy speaks for my main kit, I can sneak these in for my gaming rig.... I'm sure the Lady wouldn't notice another three or so boxes arrive with these plus an x-13... and a surround pre-pro, and a power amp... Damn, is there a shot for not going overboard on gear? :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
what speakers would you they are compered to
I'm having a pretty hard time NOT to comparing these to Ascend's CMT-170 and CMT-340SE center ;)or if I wanted better-looking speaker then RBH Impression R-5E and it's bigger brother R-515E LCR (both optional in piano black)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm having a pretty hard time NOT to comparing these to Ascend's CMT-170 and CMT-340SE center ;)or if I wanted better-looking speaker then RBH Impression R-5E and it's bigger brother R-515E LCR (both optional in piano black)
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people preferred the sound of the BLSv2 speakers. Compared to the CBM-170s they have slightly reduced treble and more uniform off-axis response. The CBM speakers are probably going to sound a bit more forward, perhaps a bit more detailed.

L

lanion

Audiophyte
I haven't seen this speaker reviewed anywhere else or even mentioned on other forums. It is strange how the internet works sometimes.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The BLSv2 is on sale for $549/pair at the moment. Terrific speakers for the money. I can't understand how these aren't more popular. Maybe it is because they aren't using any goofy gimmicks in the design that marketing can latch on to.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Kinda bummed with Outlaw, lately. They have made themselves Outliers in the industry it seems. I know times are tough... the X-13 is gone, they made the MonoBlocks BIGGER... Not really sure what's going on over there. :(

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey @shadyJ, curious, just what is the relation between Atlantic Technology and Outlaw? I know they've partnered up and read somewhere they're actually sister companies. Neither seem to be very well known generally, tho.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hey @shadyJ, curious, just what is the relation between Atlantic Technology and Outlaw? I know they've partnered up and read somewhere they're actually sister companies. Neither seem to be very well known generally, tho.
Both were co-founded by the same guy, Peter Tribeman, and I am sure they did share some design and manufacturing teams at one point. Atlantic Technology used to be a more traditional dealer brand and Outlaw was always a manufacturer-direct brand. Atlantic Technology was acquired in 2015, and Peter stepped down as president in 2017. I don't think that either brand have had much in common since Peter's departure.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Kinda bummed with Outlaw, lately. They have made themselves Outliers in the industry it seems. I know times are tough... the X-13 is gone, they made the MonoBlocks BIGGER... Not really sure what's going on over there. :(
Yeah @shadyJ I noticed this too Outlaw seems like a shell of its former self I wonder whats beem going on with them lately?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wouldn't surprise me logistics/supply & demand issues took a toll....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Wouldn't surprise me logistics/supply & demand issues took a toll....
I remember about a year before Covid they jacked there prices on there flagship amps up a lot I mean a lot priced them right out of the market for me. I wonder if that move turned out to be a bad idea

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I remember about a year before Covid they jacked there prices on there flagship amps up a lot I mean a lot priced them right out of the market for me. I wonder if that move turned out to be a bad idea
My recollection was more that the prices went up towards the beginning of Covid....so I just revisited this https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/audio-price-hikes-covid-19-or-what.118157/page-2 but still wonder if that timing was simply inevitable due costs they were facing from their suppliers. They have never seemed to be a very large player either, which couldn't help.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis