Outdoor sub and AV receiver

I

itawad

Audioholic Intern
Dear All

Can you use AV receiver to driver 4 rock speakers and one sub outdoor without a speaker selector. If yes how can you do it and what setting you put the receiver on to play music only powering the 4 zones.
Thank you
Imad

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Dear All

Can you use AV receiver to driver 4 rock speakers and one sub outdoor without a speaker selector. If yes how can you do it and what setting you put the receiver on to play music only powering the 4 zones.
Thank you
Imad
You won't play rock music loudly through four speakers without blowing it up. I hope you are a long way from neighbors. This sounds like a seriously anti-social endeavor.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
I think they are talking about actual rock speakers here.
IMG_4752.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Dear All

Thank you
Imad
What is the receiver being used here? Speakers? Sub?

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
All kinds of stuff out there these days...
View attachment 67670
Never though, but your right! Just did a look see all kinds of rock speakers even Bluetooth with solar powered panels on them. I just may pick one or two up, The Bluetooth kind, so when Halloween comes around I could play some scary music when trick or treaters come around. :eek: No but really I do sit outside so yeah, I can dig it.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Seriously not heard of outdoor rock speakers
Nope, but I am old 65+ but I more than likely have seen them, the older I become the more my mind slips.
I like the idea of having those as outside speakers, Especially the ones that have solar panels and that are Bluetooth. Placed around a pool or say a outdoor back yard Patio setting. Yeah done up nicely, sure.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Never saw those before. Looks like a terrible idea.
Doc! Your so logical and practical. Lol. "Looks like a terrible idea." Lol. I can just about read your mind, You, with you having the knowledge of speaker design and building, yeah probably thinking what an acoustic nightmare. Of course with respect sir.:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OTOH for my outdoor speakers I don't want them at ankle level.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
The ones I got from Best Buy look like that. They were so cheap I couldn’t say no (like I ever could to equipment). They have the main rock with the sub and the 2 satellites each with a tweeter and midrange are wired off the subrock (need new jargon for this stuff). So I need to run all 4 wires, the R and L speaker cables to the subrock. Will be powering with my old Yamaha AVR situated indoors with the wires running outside. Bought single 4 line cable that can be buried. It’s a summer project once the summer house is ready for equipment. It still needs a lot of work. Will post once it’s setup. My family think I’m crazy but it takes up all of my time.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Rock speakers have been available for more than 25 years but I have yet to hear any that I would consider- none of them sounded good, at any price.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Since I've been in the business, rock speakers have been available.

Can you drive them? Yes, and no. Your subwoofer will need a matching amplifier to drive it properly with a crossover designed for it, or it may have an internal passive crossover to deal with the audio frequencies on it's own. Not sure what speaker you have, but generally subs need a fair bit of power.

With a speaker selector, I wouldn't expect much in the way of power that will be going to the speakers either.

It would be helpful if you would list the equipment you have. If you do NOT have the equipment yet, then it would be good to let us know what you are looking at/considering and tell us that.

Frankly, it seems like you have all bunch of gear already and are now asking for help on setting it up, and it may very well be completely the wrong stuff.

I would have picked up a nice multi-channel amplifier from Craigslist that is outdated (no HDMI), but plenty powerful enough to drive all the speakers at once (except the subwoofer), and picked up a dedicated subwoofer amplifier. Then I would have hooked up a product like a Wiim Pro to it and called it a day.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Never saw those before. Looks like a terrible idea.
This is outdoor background audio. Not studio listening. Rock speakers do a perfectly fine job for fill audio in an outdoor setting where they can blend with the environment. Some are better than others and most designs can last 10+ years outside, directly in the elements before they start to run into issues. It's like anything else, there is just a need for a solution, and this is one of them. Direct burial speakers are also sometimes used and they do an okay job when people really want to hide things.

https://rockustics.mseaudio.com/
https://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/speakers/outdoor/rock.html

I had a client that I moved from Niles outdoor rock speakers to some lesser expensive models, and they couldn't tell the difference. They were just there for the fill of audio in the space.

As is always, using speakers outdoors and having neighbors is a bit about courtesy, time of day, and volume.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If your neighbours are close, a portable bluetooth speaker provides music close to where you are without disturbing the neighbours too much. We have a fairly deep back yard and the JBL Charge 4 that I got my wife does the job just fine. I think outdoor stereo systems are better suited to large properties or country properties where you need the coverage and noise pollution is not a concern. The music you love is not necessarily to the taste of your neighbours.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis