Our Top Five $500 Bookshelf Speaker picks for 2021

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
We at Audioholics end up getting a lot of inquiries about the best audio product type to buy within a certain price range. We aren’t ever able to say definitively what the best product is because there are so many, and we don’t get a chance to experience them all. However, we do hear our share of loudspeakers, and we are aware of some of the more reliably good loudspeaker manufacturers, so we have our preferences. This being the case, we have decided to let readers know what we would choose for loudspeaker types within certain price ranges and why in a series of articles. In this article, we look at what our picks would be for bookshelf speakers in the $500/pair range. Read on to find out what five bookshelf speakers made our cut...

READ: Audioholics' Top Five $500 Bookshelf Speakers for 2021

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Great topic. Very interesting to read.

LATER EDIT: not an easy pick...

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks, Shady! Nice to see Monitor Audio getting some love!!!
Can’t wait to see the step up recommendations. :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Ascend Acoustic (large-sized) CMT-340 SE is on sale at $499/pr (+ $60 s/h) are another fine option that could especially useful for larger rooms. 5y warranty and 30days free return included.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just read this yesterday when I was in between running. I do like the looks of the new DefTech Demand series. I found a pair of the books on Craigslist for $300 and really considered checking them out, but 3 bills is a bit much to spend for fun and curiosity. If I were looking for something to keep I'd have probably given them a shot.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think the MAs win in the looks department.
I've made no secret of my fondness for them since auditioning the Silvers back when I was shopping in 2018... I think they are not only some of the better sounding options in their class(es), they are some of the best looking as well! ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Seems to me that the DT and the SVS are the only 2 of the 5 that have gotten much mention around this site, the others just came out of left field.

And, for anybody that can handle mild DIY, the new AA+ has to be a heavy hitter in this price range (actually slightly cheaper).

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I wonder what the criteria is for choosing the speakers? There are so many $500 speakers out there.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Seems to me that the DT and the SVS are the only 2 of the 5 that have gotten much mention around this site, the others just came out of left field.
SVS and DT are the ones from this round-up that make an effort to get attention. The others don't do very much, maybe because Monitor and Wharfedale put more focus on the European market. NHT doesn't seem to have any marketing dept at all. They are seemingly just coasting on word of mouth.
I wonder what the criteria is for choosing the speakers? There are so many $500 speakers out there.
Performance, build quality, looks, post-purchase support, etc.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
James, how come Audioholics never officially reviewed CMT-340's? Ascend won't send you guys a model for review? Sierra-1 was reviewed a while back and got nothing but praises from Tom,

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
James, how come Audioholics never officially reviewed CMT-340's? Ascend won't send you guys a model for review? Sierra-1 was reviewed a while back and got nothing but praises from Tom,
I wasn't a writer for Audioholics when the CMT-340s were released, so I don't know. I don't know why Ascend hasn't had us look at any of their speakers since the Sierras. I think Ascend has built a reputation for themselves that seems to have worked out well enough for them that they no longer need to rely on product exposure from websites, magazines, or YouTubers. They seem to be doing pretty well.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I wasn't a writer for Audioholics when the CMT-340s were released, so I don't know. I don't know why Ascend hasn't had us look at any of their speakers since the Sierras. I think Ascend has built a reputation for themselves that seems to have worked out well enough for them that they no longer need to rely on product exposure from websites, magazines, or YouTubers. They seem to be doing pretty well.
Have you looked at the PSB Alpha's?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Have you looked at the PSB Alpha's?
I don't think the Alpha bookshelf speakers were close enough to the listed price point to make the cut for this round-up.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think the Alpha bookshelf speakers were close enough to the listed price point to make the cut for this round-up.
The P5s are listed at $579 which may be stretching the budget.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the write up ! My bro-inlaw is looking to put together a small living room set around bookshelf / sub combo, I'll pass this along to him.

N

norge43

Enthusiast
I own a 5.1 system made up of RSL CG23s and their Speedwoofer. I have been very impressed with their performance, both for music and movies. Audioholics has given great reviews on all of RSL's products. At $400.00 a pair, I would argue the CG23s are perhaps the best performance to price ratio out there, and worthy of inclusion in your "Best Speakets" category.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I own a 5.1 system made up of RSL CG23s and their Speedwoofer. I have been very impressed with their performance, both for music and movies. Audioholics has given great reviews on all of RSL's products. At $400.00 a pair, I would argue the CG23s are perhaps the best performance to price ratio out there, and worthy of inclusion in your "Best Speakets" category.
I can agree with that as I have RSL CG23 LCR. Excellent, excellent speakers period. The little brother CG3s are no slouch either.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I can agree with that as I have RSL CG23 LCR. Excellent, excellent speakers period. The little brother CG3s are no slouch either.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I wasn't a big fan of the CG23s. You need a lot of EQ to tame the mid-bass bump on those. The CG5s are so much better. I really enjoyed the CG5s and wish I still had them.

XDM

XDM

Enthusiast
James did you listen to the Monitor Audio Bronze (6th gen) series you are recommending?

After listening to it, I wouldn't recommend the Monitor Audio Bronze 50 (Monitor Audio Bronze 6th generation). There's something wrong with the tuning of the Monitor Audio Bronze 6th gen.

The midrange is recessed and the treble is shrill/aggressive/harsh. I'm not the only one with that experience. Check out this YouTuber's comments under his video on the MA Bronze 100 it's bigger brother:
(he calls them bright, sharp, shouty) .

EDIT:
I'll quote some of his comments which he left below the video review to clarify, which aligns perfectly with my own experience:

-When I said these were bright and sharp I really meant it guys, they're shouty for sure.

If you don't believe me buy them for yourself and experience the disappointment first hand. I believe in break in but no amount of break-in can fix these. I had them connected to $7500 worth of what is otherwise smooth/neutral sounding gear and another few hundred dollars in room treatment. I gave these 30 hours, that should have gotten them most of the way there.

The Bronze 100 does a few things really well like imaging and soundstage but the presentation within is terribly unbalanced.
I'm still trying to understand who loves these, I honestly think it might be good for guys who have been to too many concerts and maybe lost a bit of hearing.
EDIT 2 (What HiFi also mentions the 'crude high frequencies': https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/monitor-audio-bronze-100 ): "It doesn’t help that the updated tweeter lacks the refinement we’ve come to expect from the brand and can sound a little crude and harsh if provoked. " and only awards it 3/5 stars.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis