remmib

Enthusiast
This is a newbie question. I've purchased a TOSLink optical to connect
my DVD player to the receiver, and it replaces all the audio
RCA cables otherwise needed. The optical cable is
only $7, and isn't it supposed to be pure digtial and suffer from no
loss/distortion? Why do people still spend $30-$40 to buy nice and
fancy gold plated monster RCA cables?
Are they for video use? Am I missing something?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Actually, it only replaces ONE 75 ohm RCA cable. For more on the whys and wherefors of the ongoing optical/coaxial digital interconnect debate, you might want to reference this thread.

http://www.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2862

P.S. $7 is not a bad price for a plastic toslink interconnect but my coaxial cost even less. ;)

You don't have to buy the fancy gold plated monster stuff to get good performance.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Just so you know, there is a difference between a cheap cable and monster. Why dont you see if your cable bends 90 degrees? That is just one thing that is great about the monster cable, it does not bend. Even though it does not happen often, if your cable ever gets moved it snaps. Then you get to buy a new one. It is also spring loaded. Quality matters. You get what you pay for.

R

Rÿche 1

Audioholic
Unregistered said:
Just so you know, there is a difference between a cheap cable and monster.
Sadly, you have been hypnotized by the "Monster Gods". Monster makes good stuff, but is grossly overpriced. A well constructed cable is all you need.

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
That is just one thing that is great about the monster cable, it does not bend.
That is certainly NOT a good thing. High quality cables are flexible. The last thing you want is a cable that can't take a little flexing.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
That's but one of the reasons I went with coaxial in the first place.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Another poor soul

That poor soul that has been brainwashed by Monsters wonderful marketing department....and let's not forget those that have fallen to the giant of BOSE....what a sad world we live in when folks buy into all the hype... :D

S

Sero

Audiophyte
Unregistered said:
That is certainly NOT a good thing. High quality cables are flexible. The last thing you want is a cable that can't take a little flexing.
Any tosLink cable should not be bent very sharply, if you crack the core, you kiss that cable goodbye.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Gold connectors on a Toslink cable really is audio jewelry. You can at least make the case for gold on an RCA/coax out as it will not oxidize, but on an optical cable no signal is running thru the metal part anyway.

I would be a little leery of the ultra cheapo optical cables that are as thin as #2 pencil lead, if for no other reason that durability. I've had some very cheap (like $5) toslink that were almost as thick as Monster Cable, and I've used Monster's toslink, too. I can't say it was any better- in fact, for a fairly cheap cable I'd say that AR toslinks are constructed virtually as well for about 1/2 the price.

As for why a person would pay more- a Yugo will get you to the same place as a BMW will, so why do people pay >$60,000 for a car? Mostly the same reason for both.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis