Oppo UDP 205 and Sony Turntable.

J

jmdivi72

Audiophyte
Hello Forum. . Is it possible to connect a Sony Turntable to the Oppo UDP 205. I was thinking maybe to use the RCA (stereo audio out) red white connectors but when I tried it it didn’t work. I was hoping to use the Oppo for this. If possible. Currently I have the turntable connected to a Marantz receiver. If I am way off let me know. Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Turntable usually needs a phono preamp section to feed to an analog input. What model of Marantz receiver? It likely has this feature and is why it works. You should be able to buy an external phono preamp to connect to the Oppo.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
But why connect it to the oppo if you already have a marantz AVR?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J

jmdivi72

Audiophyte
Turntable usually needs a phono preamp section to feed to an analog input. What model of Marantz receiver? It likely has this feature and is why it works. You should be able to buy an external phono preamp to connect to the Oppo.
Thanks for the quick reply. I have an old Marantz SR5005. I already had the Sony Turntable hooked up to it and it plays nice. I was hoping to hook it up to the Oppo UDP 205. Do you think it’s worth to do it. Will the sound be better? Should I get an external phono preamp. I think my Sony turntable already has a phone preamp. I’m guessing it’s not working because the UDP205 doesn’t have a phono preamp

J

jmdivi72

Audiophyte
But why connect it to the oppo if you already have a marantz AVR?

To take advantage of the Oppo internal processing. Maybe it’s not worth to do it. I though the RCA in the back of the Oppo (red and white ) makes better sound

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
The Oppo doesnt have analogue inputs. The Oppo sounds as good as it does because it does digital audio very well. Turntables are analogue so there isnt anything to gain from connecting it to the oppo.

J

jmdivi72

Audiophyte
Thanks Leemix. I’ll just leave it the way I have it now. I just recently got into vinyl

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Vinyl would be great to try at home but i know i wouldnt be able to use it much unfortunately so not for me at the moment.

Hopefully you will enjoy it a lot :)

(And that oppo is really good for discs, i have a 203 and an older 105)

J

jmdivi72

Audiophyte
I use the Oppo for mostly CDs and Sacd. It’s awesome. No 4k tv for me yet. But someday I will get a 4k display. Why wouldn’t you be able to use vinyl much. Do you find it time consuming ( cleaning the vinyl, the act of placing the vinyl on the platter). Or you just prefer CD sound better

Vinyl would be great to try at home but i know i wouldnt be able to use it much unfortunately so not for me at the moment.

Hopefully you will enjoy it a lot :)

(And that oppo is really good for discs, i have a 203 and an older 105)

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I use the Oppo for mostly CDs and Sacd. It’s awesome. No 4k tv for me yet. But someday I will get a 4k display. Why wouldn’t you be able to use vinyl much. Do you find it time consuming ( cleaning the vinyl, the act of placing the vinyl on the platter). Or you just prefer CD sound better
Just lack of time and other priorities.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
lol, sorry, was thinking about the fact that the 205 has various digital inputs, not analog. Since my Preamp died, I am using the 205 as a sort of cobbled Pre. right now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you want to change something in the way of your turntable's output, there are basically two things you can do. Options are to change cartridge or phono pre-amp/phono stage. You do seem to have a built-in phono stage on your tt as I don't see a phono input on your Marantz' back panel. What model of Sony is it and what cartridge does it have?

J

jmdivi72

Audiophyte
If you want to change something in the way of your turntable's output, there are basically two things you can do. Options are to change cartridge or phono pre-amp/phono stage. You do seem to have a built-in phono stage on your tt as I don't see a phono input on your Marantz' back panel. What model of Sony is it and what cartridge does it have?
Hello. I am currently using the Aux on the Marantz SR5005. The turntable is a Sony PS HX500. It comes with built-in phono preamp with line-level audio and USB output.

RCA analog output is switchable (LINE/PHONO) for use with external phono preamps

Cartridge is moving magnet

how is the turntable able to work if the marantz doesn’t have a phono stage. I thought it was built into the aux 1 input. I bought this Marantz back in 2008. It’s slowing getting more and more outdated but it still works !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hello. I am currently using the Aux on the Marantz SR5005. The turntable is a Sony PS HX500. It comes with built-in phono preamp with line-level audio and USB output.

RCA analog output is switchable (LINE/PHONO) for use with external phono preamps

how is the turntable able to work if the marantz doesn’t have a phono stage. I thought it was built into the aux 1 input. I bought this Marantz back in 2008. It’s slowing getting more and more outdated but it still works !
If a receiver/avr has a phono stage it will have a specific "phono" input. Only one phono stage is needed, and your Sony's built-in one is doing the job as your Marantz does not have one.....if it did have one built into the aux 1 input, it would be useless for other analog uses. What particular cartridge is it? That's where generally the greater differences will be had for sound qualities (like speakers, they're transducers).

I actually was somewhat surprised the older Marantz didn't have a phono input, tho. Phono stages are somewhat uncommon on current avrs except for the higher end ones, tho. If you want a reasonably priced external phono stage I'd look at ART's DJIIPre or Phono Plus, good performance for reasonable cost.

J

jmdivi72

Audiophyte
It’s a factory-mounted phono cartridge. I don’t know what type or brand. If I were to purchase an external phono stage Such as ART's DJIIPre or Phono Plus where would I hook it up to. The Oppo upd 205 or the Marantz sr 5005. Thanks for your help !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It’s a factory-mounted phono cartridge. I don’t know what type or brand. If I were to purchase an external phono stage Such as ART's DJIIPre or Phono Plus where would I hook it up to. The Oppo upd 205 or the Marantz sr 5005. Thanks for your help !
The Oppo doesn't have analog inputs so that's not an option. It's got excellent capabilities for digital media, but nothing for analog input. You likely were connecting to an analog output on the Oppo earlier....

I don't see specifics on the cartridge they sell that tt with, but some ideas for you here perhaps

ps I'd favor changing cartridge over phono stage first.

J

jmdivi72

Audiophyte
Wow. Looks like it’s a pain in the a** to switch out the cartridge. Again I am new to vinyl. Just learning as I go. So you recommend going with the replacement of the cartridge first. And then later upgrade to an external phono stage to connect to the Marantz sr 5005. The Nagaoka MP-110 sounds very nice. Wonder if I should attempt myself or try to find a dealer to do it.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hello Forum. . Is it possible to connect a Sony Turntable to the Oppo UDP 205. I was thinking maybe to use the RCA (stereo audio out) red white connectors but when I tried it it didn’t work. I was hoping to use the Oppo for this. If possible. Currently I have the turntable connected to a Marantz receiver. If I am way off let me know. Thanks.
The OPPO-205 does not have RCA inputs, just usb and coax/optical S/PDIF; thus, the answer is connection to OPPO via Sony's TT's Hi-Res ADC (I think 24/192) usb output. Then output from the OPPO's stereo Balanced jacks, which receive analog from both of the OPPO's ESS Saber 8 Channel DACs, processing at 24/192. This processing maybe better than the Marantz processing; thus, maybe better sound. Experimentation will tell.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

The Sony comes with an Audio-Technica cartridge, I think it's an AT-95E. The cart can be easily replaced. The AT-MV95ML is the ideal replacement. It costs about $169. This cart is ideal since its geometry syncs with the TT's tonearm geometry for proper vertical tracking angle. The MV95ML has a microline stylus which tracks better than the 95E, getting everything there is in the groove to get.

S

sterling shoote

The Sony has a built-in phono preamp. This is how the turntable can connect to a receiver/preamp whether it does or does not have a phono input. And since the TT also has an ADC with usb output the TT can output to a computer's usb port for LP digitization.
Since your initial post did not identify the Sony Turntable Model, things here got off to a bad start about your inquiry. Your Sony TT is a relatively new concept from Sony. It is all about digitizing LPs to a computer; thus, the TT sports a switchable on/off internal phono preamp, as well as a ADC.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis