Oppo UDP 205 and Sony Turntable.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Wow. Looks like it’s a pain in the a** to switch out the cartridge. Again I am new to vinyl. Just learning as I go. So you recommend going with the replacement of the cartridge first. And then later upgrade to an external phono stage to connect to the Marantz sr 5005. The Nagaoka MP-110 sounds very nice. Wonder if I should attempt myself or try to find a dealer to do it.
Forget buying an external phono preamp, for now, since what you have is sufficient. A cartridge upgrade however will get you better sound. The AT-VM95ML is ideal, since it syncs with the Sony tonearm's geometry for proper vertical tracking angle. Its microline stylus tracks better than an elliptical stylus and gets everything there is in the groove to get.

J

jmdivi72

Audiophyte
What do you think will be better. Nagaoka MP-110 or AT-VM95ML or Sumiko Black Pearl Both Nagaoka and AT-VM95ML got good reviews at amazon. Any has any experience with these 3. For now I’m just going to look to replace the cartridge.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't put much value into Amazon reviews of audio gear whatsoever from the many I've read. Do you really need to change anything, tho? Do you really want to invest in vinyl? I couldn't see starting over with vinyl, only reason I still have it is because I had it before digital (and my tt is 37 years old and doing well), just needs a new cartridge once in a while but the one I have now is probably my last. Too much expense/fussing for a limited media format.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
What do you think will be better. Nagaoka MP-110 or AT-VM95ML or Sumiko Black Pearl Both Nagaoka and AT-VM95ML got good reviews at amazon. Any has any experience with these 3. For now I’m just going to look to replace the cartridge.
Here's what I know for sure. I have the VM540ML and it sounds indistinguishable from CDs and SACDs of same content. The VM95ML specs are so similar to the VM540, a similar result would be expected from it. Proper cartridge alignment is key to satisfaction. I suspect the Sony manual covers the topic well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis