Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Update

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats Average Joe! If you are allowed to, let us know your thoughts.

majorloser

majorloser

CONGRATULATIONS (I guess)

I'm a winner. Placed my order this evening (majorloser - don't you dare tell my wife).
I glad a friend was one of those sellected for this.
At least I know we'll get an honest report from AverageJoe.

Now don't make me send RJ over there to help with the testing! :eek:

(BTW- I won't tell your wife. But you owe me now.)

D

DaveHo

Audioholic
The $499 price is OK. But, Oppo needs to support DVD-A before I will consider buying. Without that I'm stuck keeping my Denon around just for that. Come on Oppo!

-Dave

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
She who must be obeyed can never know.... What are you going to do when it gets there? :p
If she's here when it's delivered, it's her birthday present.

If she's not, "What new player? I've had this for years" (a variation on 35 years of new shoes, purses, dresses, etc. - What goes around, comes around).

majorloser

majorloser

If she's not, "What new player? I've had this for years" (a variation on 35 years of new shoes, purses, dresses, etc. - What goes around, comes around).
What if OPPO ships it by USPS? :rolleyes:

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

Don't get me started about women's shoes...:D
Have fun with the OPPO.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
I think AvgJoe is bluffing. I think his wife doesn't know and he is only claiming she does so we can't blackmail him. I used to use this technique when I was married to prevent my buddies from pulling the same leverage on me... Now being divorced, I don't have to worry about it!!! And no, I'm not divorced because I got busted! :)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
And the winner is ?!? :confused:
The winner is ME! ;)

I get to watch and listen to it after Joe sets it up. I didn't have to pay for it. My wife isn't mad at me because I spent a bunch of mullah on new a/v stuff.

All the bennies and no hassles. Life is good. Ahhhhh...thanks...I mean congrats, Joe! :D

majorloser

majorloser

I think AvgJoe is bluffing. I think his wife doesn't know and he is only claiming she does so we can't blackmail him. I used to use this technique when I was married to prevent my buddies from pulling the same leverage on me... Now being divorced, I don't have to worry about it!!! And no, I'm not divorced because I got busted! :)
Maybe so, but my wife knows.
And she ain't afraid to tell his wife. :eek:

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
EAP User Quick Take

I received the BDP-83 on Saturday. Setup was very easy and it was up and running in less than an hour. I was using a Panasonic BD-30 for Bluray, Toshiba XA2 for HD-DVD and Std DVD movies and A Pioneer Elite DV-59Avi for Redbook CD and DVD music (SACD and DVD-Audio) all connected to my SSP via HDMI. The Panasonic and Pioneer are now for sale and the BDP-83 and XA2 will be staying.

In the short time I have with the unit, the BDP-83 it is doing everything I need it to do and doing it very well. I have it setup in the most straight forward way (for me) in that it is bitstreaming all audio and video via HDMI to my SSP. I have not had a chance to check out all of the A or V processing features at this point but will be exploring those more in the coming weeks.

I know I may have to wait a bit for DVD-A support but that is a minor concern. All indications are this is a very well thought out and constructed player that provides someone like me the form and function to do virtually all of the source work in my HT with the exception of HD-DVD.

Again, I am using the single HDMI cable to the SSP. Load times are much better than the BD-30 or XA2 and about equal to the Elite. SD DVD looks as good if not a bit better than either the XA2 or Elite. SACD and my red book CD’s all sound great and the disk navagation menu features work like a charm.

I have dual displays in my HT and the HDMI switching has been fast enough and I was able to down load the codes for my Harmony 890 RF Remote last night. Really, I can’t find anything wrong with this unit but I’ll keep looking.

My equip list is:
Electronics:
- Integra 9.8 (SSP)
- Sunfire TGA 7400 (amp)
- QSC 2500 (Sub amp)
- Toshiba XA2 (HD-DVD)
- OPPO BDP-83 (everything else)
- Comcast HD-DVR
- Velodyne SMS-1 (Subwoofer EQ)

Speakers
- JTR Triple 12LF’s (LCR)
- Revel I-30 (in-wall surrounds)
- Danley TH-SPUD passive subwoofers (2)

Displays
- Panasonic TH-58PH10UK (Plasma)
- JVC HD-100 (Projector)
- Stewart StudioTek 130 (106" powered)

majorloser

majorloser

Do you have any pictures?

My only complaint with Oppo has been their remotes. The print isn't quite meant for us "optically challenged" individuals and it needs backlighting. :(

Granted, I use a programable remote.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief

My only complaint with Oppo has been their remotes. The print isn't quite meant for us "optically challenged" individuals and it needs backlighting. :(

I'll post some pics tonight. I am using the Harmony 890 in RF mode as all of my electronics are in a separate closet outside the HT. I used the remote during initial setup and it is a definite step up from their previous remotes (I have two other OPPO DVD players). I think it is backlit:confused:;).

Last edited:
B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
What's the load time like on this machine? I want to retire my PS3 from Blu-ray and DVD duties. I'm spoiled by its load times.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
What's the load time like on this machine? I want to retire my PS3 from Blu-ray and DVD duties. I'm spoiled by its load times.
I don't have a PS3 but the word from those who have both is comparable load times. Unlike other BR devices, the open tray response is immediate:).

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Would you say the SQ is excellent, good, or fair? How does it compare to some of the high end CD/DVD players for SQ? That would be my biggest issue if I were to retire my other gear for a All in One...

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Would you say the SQ is excellent, good, or fair? How does it compare to some of the high end CD/DVD players for SQ? That would be my biggest issue if I were to retire my other gear for a All in One...
Although I have drunk the Kool-aid on high end loudspeakers, I have never succumbed to electronics audiophillia. The Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi and Denon 3910 (approx $1K ea MSLP) were about as far as I have gone with source players.

Based upon my limited time with the BDP-83 I will say it sounds every bit as good as anything I have heard. It presents an uncolored version of all the source material I have tested. That allows my SSP and speakers to do their thing. It is the universal player I have been looking for and I think it’s a keeper.

Last edited:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief

Here are a couple of pics. Sorry for the quality:eek:

Nice packaging

Here is something taken from the AVS EAP Thread. I tried re-formatting the file so the data lined up but it would not stick when I posted it:confused:. So I right justified it:p.

How fast are the load times?
Here are some timings reported during the beta period, as compared with the 40GB PS3 running firmware 2.43:
Ratatouille (Blu-ray)​

Test PS3 BDP-83
From power on to first previews image 00:53 00:40
From first previews to top menu 00:22 00:30
From top menu to total menus 00:14 00:20
From total menus to start of play 00:03 00:04
Chapter forward by 10 chapters 00:15 00:04
Chapter backward by 10 chapters 00:15 00:04

Men in Black (Blu-ray)

Test PS3 BDP-83
From power on to first Sony intro image 00:47 00:50
From power on to main menu 01:05 01:09
From main menu to PG-13 warning screen 00:03 00:04
Chapter forward by 10 chapters 00:16 00:04
Chapter backward by 10 chapters 00:16 00:04​

Last edited:
G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Although I have drunk the Kool-aid on high end loudspeakers, I have never succumbed to electronics audiophillia. The Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi and Denon 3910 (approx $1K ea MSLP) were about as far as I have gone with source players.

Based upon my limited time with the BDP-83 I will say it sounds every bit as good as anything I have heard. It presents an uncolored version of all the source material I have tested. That allows my SSP and speakers to do their thing. It is the universal player I have been looking for and I think it’s a keeper.
Thanks. I have a Denon 3910 as well. If it sounds just as good, that's great news.

S

soloz2

Junior Audioholic
can't wait for mine to show up. I got the tracking notification yesterday. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis