Onkyo TX-RZ50 & Dialog Adjustment

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
What a load of folderol these set up programs are. I think we are headed to quality spoilers in layer on layer.

I maintain that in most rooms, any well designed speaker will sound good. I have NEVER felt a need for any of this nonsense. One of my rooms in my last residence had an obvious echo, but the sound was still glorious. I have never hung room treatments about and don't need to.

If sound is displeasing I look at the speakers. I have never failed to find the problem. Correct the problem and listening is bliss. I can say this after many years of broadcast recording experience. I had to be able to trust my speakers, no matter the room I was using to monitor the recording.

If I found I had to use these programs the speakers would have a hard look, and that is what I do, and correct the problem. If I had an situation beyond remedy, and years ago that could happen, then I salvaged the drivers and ditched the cabinet.

All the drive to this nonsense, is speaker problems. A lot are uncorrectable, in fact probably most, for a variety of reasons. So unless you are lucky all this nonsense is fools gold. I have absolutely no need, and no time for Audyssey YPOA or Dirac. I can never see myself ever having to turn to that approach, and frankly I firmly believe it is wrong headed. Speakers are getting more consistent, and think the day is not too far off, when we look back and smile at this wrong headed approach.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
There are some cool features. Just remember to store any changes and have it confirm them or changes won't keep.
Thanks for that tip...I probably would have missed it.

I redid my Dirac Live config tonight (gosh that takes a while...) using the instructions that were pointed to on this site and that helped a great deal. I think I didn't have some of my initial levels set and the harman target curves dialed in the bass where I wanted. I thought it sounded pretty good before but so far seems like an improvement in the limited time I've had with it tonight. Going to run with it for a few days and see how it goes.

Its pretty slick though how you can have the various level settings for the various EQ's and such. The web interface definitely exposes some useful items.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
What a load of folderol these set up programs are. I think we are headed to quality spoilers in layer on layer.

I maintain that in most rooms, any well designed speaker will sound good. I have NEVER felt a need for any of this nonsense. One of my rooms in my last residence had an obvious echo, but the sound was still glorious. I have never hung room treatments about and don't need to.

If sound is displeasing I look at the speakers. I have never failed to find the problem. Correct the problem and listening is bliss. I can say this after many years of broadcast recording experience. I had to be able to trust my speakers, no matter the room I was using to monitor the recording.

If I found I had to use these programs the speakers would have a hard look, and that is what I do, and correct the problem. If I had an situation beyond remedy, and years ago that could happen, then I salvaged the drivers and ditched the cabinet.

All the drive to this nonsense, is speaker problems. A lot are uncorrectable, in fact probably most, for a variety of reasons. So unless you are lucky all this nonsense is fools gold. I have absolutely no need, and no time for Audyssey YPOA or Dirac. I can never see myself ever having to turn to that approach, and frankly I firmly believe it is wrong headed. Speakers are getting more consistent, and think the day is not too far off, when we look back and smile at this wrong headed approach.
Doc, I been telling them that about those surround field correction's. All that is a fancy EQ. When I do watch a movie now, I use straight settings on my unit. I thought those other's where great at first. I have all of the DSP set to off now, all of um.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I am new in this forum. I have some questions about this forum. These questions are shown underneath:):):

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/audioholics-to-participate-at-audio-advice-live-are-you-going.125723/

My question is about this thread. If you have any information about this thread. Tell me below. I am very confused about thato_Oo_O.
Well, it started off innocently enough and because I am familiar with new Onkyo receivers I thought I’d try to help. Some are opposed to multi channel receivers and room correction altogether. Rather than pass such threads by, some feel compelled to comment on perceived follies and also comment on the superiority of their own systems.

Many have different skill sets, budgets and levels of interests to apply to this hobby. Everybody should get the system they want, play on it what they want and enjoy it. If they have a problem with the system, they should be welcomed and helped in forums such as this one by others with experience. Unless, of course, they play EVERYTHING in ALL CHANNEL STEREO. If that’s the case, they can just go f#%k themselves.;)

Hey, did I mention the Onkyo can test HDMI cables?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It wasn’t lost on me that the poster’s question concerned the linked thread, but, like so many here, I felt compelled to comment. I’m nothing if not Passive-Aggressive.:p

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I am new in this forum. I have some questions about this forum. These questions are shown underneath:):):

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/audioholics-to-participate-at-audio-advice-live-are-you-going.125723/

My question is about this thread. If you have any information about this thread. Tell me below. I am very confused about thato_Oo_O.
Lol, welcome to AH new member! Grap yourself some popcorn, kick back and enjoy the ride. Gotta say, thats one of the best 1st post ups by a new AH member I seen. Again welcome, All are welcome here on AH. We all are searching for the truth in audio.:)

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
It wasn’t lost on me that the poster’s question concerned the linked thread, but, like so many here, I felt compelled to comment. I’m nothing if not Passive-Aggressive.:p
Nothing wrong with being Passive or Aggressive. Name me one AH member who doesn't have a personality disorder. ;) We got All kinds up in here, it keeps all of us nimble.

Screenshot_20220813-065621~2.png

On a side note, I posted this comment on Doc's post, but don't tell Doc that I do use some of my sound fields. ;) Everyone knows Doc hates AVR's and those Fancy sound field correction softwares aka ARC. Doc does not like anything that will manipulate the sound for a poorly designed speaker in order to deceived one into believing they bought a good speaker. No one on AH and I gotta include even Gene has proven Doc Wrong on his stance of poorly design speakers and or the crap sh$t of AVR's.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis