Onkyo TX-NR787 9.2CH AVR w/AccuEQ Advance!!!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
AFAIK, only audyssey and Dirac live can independently adjust frequency response and phase response, this is the whole idea behind audyssey's time domain correction. I'd be interested in seeing a before and after response graph of both frequency and phase in rew with accueq.
It certainly adjust both, below are the phase plots of Audyssey On versus Off for my two subs:

SubsAudysseyOff.jpg
SubsAudysseyOn.jpg

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Any good eq that can correct both the phase and response simultaneously dampens room modes, audyssey does this quite well. If you look at a phase response graph, places where there are peaks will show up often as a phase deviation. Correcting the response and the phase via room correction has the speaker or sub working against the room mode and greatly reduces ringing this can be seen on a waterfall graph.

AFAIK, only audyssey and Dirac live can independently adjust frequency response and phase response, this is the whole idea behind audyssey's time domain correction. I'd be interested in seeing a before and after response graph of both frequency and phase in rew with accueq.

My experience with accueq on the tx-nr656 was awful. Shrill and brittle highs and midrange, inappropriate distance, xover, and spl measurements, and poor correction of bass response. It made my already mostly accurate system anything but accurate and sounded awful. It would be nice if the new versions are actually doing some good, would help give us other options similar to ypao and mcacc.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Hopefully, AccuEQ Advance is a significant improvement to that of AccuEQ. Like you, I also would like to see before/after measurements of a room just to see how much AccuEQ Advance improves things. Further still, it would be nice to see it used in several rooms from different users. That sure would allow for comparing and/or contrasting the ins and outs of AccuEQ Advance/Audyssey XT 32. That would be like really awesome inmho.

Cheers,

Phil

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Hopefully, AccuEQ Advance is a significant improvement to that of AccuEQ. Like you, I also would like to see before/after measurements of a room just to see how much AccuEQ Advance improves things. Further still, it would be nice to see it used in several rooms from different users. That sure would allow for comparing and/or contrasting the ins and outs of AccuEQ Advance/Audyssey XT 32. That would be like really awesome inmho.

Cheers,

Phil
Phil, top of the morning to ya man!! I been researching the new Onkyos seems that they are getting good reviews. Even from Pro, the ones who do have the 787 seem to be happy with the results. The prices are good on the RZ and NR line does seem they have turn their ship around. The RZ830 seems to be the unit I would go for.

Mike

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil, top of the morning to ya man!! I been researching the new Onkyos seems that they are getting good reviews. Even from Pro, the ones who do have the 787 seem to be happy with the results. The prices are good on the RZ and NR line does seem they have turn their ship around. The RZ830 seems to be the unit I would go for.

Mike
Same to you Mike. Yeah, I really like the 830 as well. I also prefer the Marantz, but typically end up with a Denon. Nothing wrong with Denon as they offer more features for the money than Marantz. As such, that is why I was looking closer to the likes of the 787/730........LOL! I just don't have your kind of money Mike!:D:D:D

Cheers,

Phil

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So the main reason you guys are looking at Onkyo is because of the price?

How much money are we talking about saving?

It's not because Onkyo has the best reliability, Room EQ, or Features.

In terms of room correction and SubEQ, I seriously doubt anything other than Dirac, ARC, Trinnov can compete with Audyssey XT32 - not YAPO, not any room EQ from Pioneer, Onkyo, Sony, etc.

Of course, anything with Dirac, ARC, and Trinnov is going to cost a lot more than the Audyssey XT 32 in the Denon X3400, which you can get for $599 brand new.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Same to you Mike. Yeah, I really like the 830 as well. I also prefer the Marantz, but typically end up with a Denon. Nothing wrong with Denon as they offer more features for the money than Marantz. As such, that is why I was looking closer to the likes of the 787/730........LOL! I just don't have your kind of money Mike!:D:D:D

Cheers,

Phil
Lol, Phil we need ADTG’s money he Big Money Grip!! You and me small change Leroy‘s.:( ADTG gotta Cow as a pet chewing on his grass now. Just picking at ya ADTG! ;)

Mike

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
So the main reason you guys are looking at Onkyo is because of the price?

How much money are we talking about saving?

It's not because Onkyo has the best reliability, Room EQ, or Features.

In terms of room correction and SubEQ, I seriously doubt anything other than Dirac, ARC, Trinnov can compete with Audyssey XT32 - not YAPO, not any room EQ from Pioneer, Onkyo, Sony, etc.

Of course, anything with Dirac, ARC, and Trinnov is going to cost a lot more than the Audyssey XT 32 in the Denon X3400, which you can get for $599 brand new.
Think I seen Costco was offering the Denon AVR-X4400W for like $898. If true, that certainly is a good price. But, there is no denying the 3400 @$599 is a true bargain.:)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Lol, Phil we need ADTG’s money he Big Money Grip!! You and me small change Leroy‘s.:( ADTG gotta Cow as a pet chewing on his grass now. Just picking at ya ADTG! ;)

Mike
Might have to turn him upside down and shake him as his pockets are deep and loaded.......LOL!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Cheers,

Phil

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Think I seen Costco was offering the Denon AVR-X4400W for like $898. If true, that certainly is a good price. But, there is no denying the 3400 @$599 is a true bargain.:)

Cheers,

Phil
Yep no doubt Denons 3400 at that price with what it has is a great deal! Ain’t No light weight for sure! I did my own research on that unit very nice unit indeed! Phil, if we can catch him! ;) He doesn’t stay put to long in any one place!

Mike

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yep no doubt Denons 3400 at that price with what it has is a great deal! Ain’t No light weight for sure! I did my own research on that unit very nice unit indeed! Phil, if we can catch him! ;) He doesn’t stay put to long in any one place!

Mike
Yeah, I would have to opt for the 3400 if I were buying a new AVR right now. I always prefer Marantz, then Denon. Of course, I have had good luck with Yamaha as well. Onkyo is improving inmho, but there is still the concern with Gibson's financial issues. Pioneer is kind of an odd duck anymore. The Elites are somewhat impressive. Even Sony has improved as well. However, I usually end up with a Denon and have never been disappointed.:)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Yeah, I would have to opt for the 3400 if I were buying a new AVR right now. I always prefer Marantz, then Denon. Of course, I have had good luck with Yamaha as well. Onkyo is improving inmho, but there is till the concern with Gibson's financial issues. Pioneer is kid of an odd duck anymore. The Elites are somewhat impressive. Even Sony has improved as well. However, I usually end up with a Denon and have never been disappointed.:)

Cheers,

Phil
Phil back in the 70’s had several Pioneer units they where good. I do like the displays the on their units it is easier to see specially at night. Never was crazy about the displays on Yamaha, Denon, Marantz the green thing isn’t appealing at least not to me.

Mike

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil back in the 70’s had several Pioneer units they where good. I do like the displays the on their units it is easier to see specially at night. Never was crazy about the displays on Yamaha, Denon, Marantz the green thing isn’t appealing at least not to me.

Mike
Mike, I once owned a Pioneer 1015 that was absolutely awesome. It was powering some Paradigm Studio 20 v.3's. The combo sounded very good. However, I later decided to go with an Onkyo. It just got way too hot even at less than moderate volumes. Sent that mother back. Ended up with my first Denon and have never looked back. Before the 1015, I did own a Yammie which also did a great job. Even to this day, the 1015 is one of my favs!

Cheers,

Phil

D

darealest1

Enthusiast
I was just verifying on ONKYO's website the specs on their RZ730 AVR.
It is advertised as being THX certified. I have no reason to doubt it, but I don't like the info they publish about the power output and THD:

POWER OUTPUT: All Channels: 175w/ch (6 ohm -1KHz -1% THD)
Dynamic Power: 250w (3 ohm) Front
220w (4 ohm) Front
130w (8 ohm) Front
THD: 0.08% (20-20KHz @ Half Power)

What is the exact power rating for an 8 ohm load with 0.1% THD for 2 front channels driven simultaneously? Probably only 75 watts at the most!

Those don't provide any details on the real power output for 2 channels driven. We are far from the info which Denon, Marantz and Yamaha publish on their products.

I am surprised that Gene did not mention the situation, as he was among the ones who complained about the incomplete and misleading specs from manufacturers a couple of years ago.
its 100watts per channel, 2 channels driven, 20hz to 20khz, .008THD, ftc. its listed in the specs. Also certified to drive 4 ohm load across all nine channels simultaneously, so the power is legit. Plus its THX select.

F

felipe

Audioholic
I purchased the 787 a few weeks ago. During this time, I’ve been comparing it to my 676...especially the auto cal. After running th auto cal on the 787, I find that leaving the AccuEq “off” and the Standing Wave Eq “on” yielded the best results. Anyone else here that owns one have a similar result?

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I purchased the 787 a few weeks ago. During this time, I’ve been comparing it to my 676...especially the auto cal. After running th auto cal on the 787, I find that leaving the AccuEq “off” and the Standing Wave Eq “on” yielded the best results. Anyone else here that owns one have a similar result?
Hey “Felipe, have you used the music optimizer
yet? If so what’s your thoughts on using it for music.

Mike

F

felipe

Audioholic
Hey “Felipe, have you used the music optimizer
yet? If so what’s your thoughts on using it for music.

Mike
Hey techHDS. Yeah I’ve used the music optimizer on both the 676 and 787. For music, it does give the highs and lows a greater presence so that its more in balance with the mids. I stream my music via airplay and the built-in chromecast, and for this purpose the music optimizer gives my music more ”life”...I like it :).

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Hey techHDS. Yeah I’ve used the music optimizer on both the 676 and 787. For music, it does give the highs and lows a greater presence so that its more in balance with the mids. I stream my music via airplay and the built-in chromecast, and for this purpose the music optimizer gives my music more ”life”...I like it :).
Felipe, I had Onkyos NR656, my Son has it now. But when did have it I to used the optimizer, like it to. I have to say that unit has a nich sound to it the only reason on let it go was I needed pre-amp outs.

Mike

F

felipe

Audioholic
Im learning more about how the new AccuEq Advance works...like other auto cal systems, its dependent upon mic placement. With this auto cal, the two other mic positions are ONLY for standing wave measurements, whereas the first mic position does ALL the measurements.
Learning this, I reran the auto cal and chose two different positions for the other two measurement. The result? Well...previously I had AccuEq set to “off”, and now I have it set to “all channels”. This now yields the best results for my setup. For movies or any multi-channel soundtrack, the low end is more substantial now ( seems like my “peaks” and “nulls” are more even key...its not completely eliminated, but a significant improvement). For music, low end is more “focused” and “clear “....what I initially thought to be a reduction of bass was actually that bass becoming more defined.
With correct placement/placements of the mic ( for your listening space or living area ), the new AccuEq Advance works really well ;):).

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Im learning more about how the new AccuEq Advance works...like other auto cal systems, its dependent upon mic placement. With this auto cal, the two other mic positions are ONLY for standing wave measurements, whereas the first mic position does ALL the measurements.
Learning this, I reran the auto cal and chose two different positions for the other two measurement. The result? Well...previously I had AccuEq set to “off”, and now I have it set to “all channels”. This now yields the best results for my setup. For movies or any multi-channel soundtrack, the low end is more substantial now ( seems like my “peaks” and “nulls” are more even key...its not completely eliminated, but a significant improvement). For music, low end is more “focused” and “clear “....what I initially thought to be a reduction of bass was actually that bass becoming more defined.
With correct placement/placements of the mic ( for your listening space or living area ), the new AccuEq Advance works really well ;):).
Very glad to hear that regarding the new more advanced AccuEQ. I also think that the TX-NR787 is going to be a game changer for Onkyo. Proper placement does go a long ways in reducing the peaks and/or dips below 200 Hz. Thanks for sharing your experience! :)

Cheers,

Phil

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
Hey guys I'm still on the wall on a new receiver. Would I be limiting myself by getting the 787 over the 4400. Given the 787 is over 300 bucks cheaper than the Denon. My wants are the 9 channel. Not really sure I'd need it upgradeable to 11 Chan like the Denon. Also need a receiver that works with the shield. Right now I'm running a '03 tx sr503 no HDMI and with Netflix and thes hield I can't get 5.1 audio just plx 2 due to handshake issues. With my fire TV 2 2nd gen I was able to but something with Nvidia and Dolby licensing

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis