Onkyo TX-NR787 9.2CH AVR w/AccuEQ Advance!!!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Would someone need low Q speakers with it as they don't even specify the damping factor of the amps?
They surely know the figures but, with a ported enclosure, if a woofer's impedance goes down to 3 ohms at some specific low frequency, the damping would be reduced where it is most needed.
OTOH, as this product is THX cerified, I would think there's no reason to worry.:)
Cheers,

André
Onkyo claims that this avr's can handle 4-ohm loads. Dipping to say 3 ohm should NOT be too problematic as long as the load merely stays 4 ohms nominally. Given that this one is new and mid-level I am not exactly sure if Onkyo even publishes dampening factors. But, as you mention w/the THX certification that is certainly a good sign. :)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
F

felipe

Audioholic
I just recently purchased and set up this receiver on Friday July 6th replacing my old tx nr-626, which had odyssey multi eq. The new accu eq advance works really well. It does a more thorough job than the original on my buddy's Tx nr-737. I believe it does eliminate standing waves too, because all of the 'boominess' I experienced previously is completely gone, even at high volume. Also I like you don't have to turn the subs down to 79 db like I did with audyssey. It also plays up to max volume without distortion, better than my previous model. I'd have to say it's as advertised
I agree with you on the AccuEq’s performance with the newer Onkyo AVRs. I currently have the 676, and after AccuEq I did a walk around my condo to listen for the bass “peaks and nulls” that were there before the calibration...they were not present :).

TechHDS

Audioholic General
The new Onkyo units seem to be pretty good, the RZ line has all upgraded parts a premium DAC. The RZ820 can be had for 599.00 comes in at 32 lbs, 3 years on it too. In two months I may consider the RZ820. The reviews have been pretty good on them. But Denon’s 3400H seems the be a steel of a price gone for right now. I wanted Yamaha’s A1070, but it’s not 4 Ohms rated across all channels only the front left and right. Going to upgrade mains and my unit in two months sure hope by than those are still at good prices.

Mike

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Gents, don't forget those new crops of mid range AVRs are typically 4 ohm rated now because of the 4/6 ohm setting that typically limit the rail voltage (AH explained this several time in the past). You can do the same (electrically speaking) with the older models that don't offer such setting by not cranking the volume so high. It is still a good feature imo, just don't expect them to give you more or even equal output if set to 4 ohm. In fact you will get less, even for 8 ohm speakers.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with you on the AccuEq’s performance with the newer Onkyo AVRs. I currently have the 676, and after AccuEq I did a walk around my condo to listen for the bass “peaks and nulls” that were there before the calibration...they were not present :).
That is very good to hear regarding the 676. However, the 787 has the new AccuEQ Advance whereas the 676 has the AccuEQ. But, hey if it improved your sound that is what it is all about. I do think that the 676 is a true bargain at $320 shipped brand new via Acc4Less. :)

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr676a/onkyo-tx-nr676-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-new/1.html

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The new Onkyo units seem to be pretty good, the RZ line has all upgraded parts a premium DAC. The RZ820 can be had for 599.00 comes in at 32 lbs, 3 years on it too. In two months I may consider the RZ820. The reviews have been pretty good on them. But Denon’s 3400H seems the be a steel of a price gone for right now. I wanted Yamaha’s A1070, but it’s not 4 Ohms rated across all channels only the front left and right. Going to upgrade mains and my unit in two months sure hope by than those are still at good prices.

Mike
Mike, the 787 and the RZ 730 are merely identical w/the exception that the 730 has multi-channel preouts. There are other differences, but most are minor inmho. The 730 does have the 3-year RZ warranty though. The RZ820 is no doubt beefier, but it also does not have the new AccuEQ Advance. For some, that could be a deal breaker. I also agree that the X3400 is the best deal going right now.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Onkyo claims that this avr's can handle 4-ohm loads. Dipping to say 3 ohm should NOT be too problematic as long as the load merely stays 4 ohms nominally. Given that this one is new and mid-level I am not exactly sure if Onkyo even publishes dampening factors. But, as you mention w/the THX certification that is certainly a good sign. :)

Cheers,

Phil
As a matter of fact, on their website, in the specs there is a "Damping Factor" heading, but no figure is shown, just a dash. :)

Cheers,

André

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
As a matter of fact, on their website, in the specs there is a "Damping Factor" heading, but no figure is shown, just a dash. :)

Cheers,

André
Andre, I doubt it would do much good calling them and inquiring. Most CS is done via reading a script. The CS reps have no clue most of the time. However, it is a bit odd that Onkyo is not posting that spec given that it is listed. Will try to give them a call and see what I can find out. But, it will likely be on Friday as I have a lot of medical going on right now.:)

Cheers,

Phil

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Mike, the 787 and the RZ 730 are merely identical w/the exception that the 730 has multi-channel preouts. There are other differences, but most are minor inmho. The 730 does have the 3-year RZ warranty though. The RZ820 is no doubt beefier, but it also does not have the new AccuEQ Advance. For some, that could be a deal breaker. I also agree that the X3400 is the best deal going right now.

Cheers,

Phil
Phil, thanks for the heads up just took a look at the 730, man seems as time goes by creature features that where found on flagship units are trickling down to mid-level units at very affordable prices.

Mike

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil, thanks for the heads up just took a look at the 730, man seems as time goes by creature features that where found on flagship units are trickling down to mid-level units at very affordable prices.

Mike
Mike, it does look like Onkyo is stepping up its game plan. Both the 787 and/or the 730 look very good to me. The 630 gives you AccuEQ Advance, but is not THX Select certified. The 686 is THX Select certified, but does not offer the AccuEQ Advance...... LOL!!!! Guess it still is all about trade-offs. You know, keeping the carrot in front of us.:)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Mike, it does look like Onkyo is stepping up its game plan. Both the 787 and/or the 730 look very good to me. The 630 gives you THX certification, but no AccuEQ Advance. The 687 gives you AccuEQ Advance, but is not THX certified..... LOL!!!! Guess it still is all about trade-offs. You know, keeping the carrot in front of us.:)

Cheers,

Phil
Phil, first best of luck Sir with your up coming medical. Denon and Yamaha where my top 2, now I have to put Onkyo back in the hunt to. Phil if I may ask, what do you think of Martin Logan 40s? paired with a 12” sub? As you know I like towers. I’d really appreciate your thoughts. Or is there better to be had my budget is around 1.500.00 for mains.

Mike

F

felipe

Audioholic
That is very good to hear regarding the 676. However, the 787 has the new AccuEQ Advance whereas the 676 has the AccuEQ. But, hey if it improved your sound that is what it is all about. I do think that the 676 is a true bargain at $320 shipped brand new via Acc4Less. :)

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr676a/onkyo-tx-nr676-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-new/1.html

Cheers,

Phil
I see what you are saying speakerman39. Looks like with the AccuEq Advance ( to my understanding ) it has three measurment points instead of a single measurement point.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil, first best of luck Sir with your up coming medical. Denon and Yamaha where my top 2, now I have to put Onkyo back in the hunt to. Phil if I may ask, what do you think of Martin Logan 40s? paired with a 12” sub? As you know I like towers. I’d really appreciate your thoughts. Or is there better to be had my budget is around 1.500.00 for mains.

Mike
Mike, once again thank you for your kind words. Like you, I have a tendency to prefer Denon and/or Marantz. There is no denying Yamaha's reliability. But, it seems to me that Onkyo is really stepping up their game as the 787 is a game changer.

As far as ML 40's go. I have never heard a ML speaker. But, do acknowledge that they are well received here and on other forums. However, I am NOT a tower guy and never have been. I much prefer a standmount mated to a capable sub. Furthermore, if I had a budget of $1,500 there is no doubt in my mind that I would opt for the BMR's! There is nothing that I am aware of that is going to best them even under $3K!;) Just saying.......:)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I see what you are saying speakerman39. Looks like with the AccuEq Advance ( to my understanding ) it has three measurment points instead of a single measurement point.
My main interest in the new AccuEQ is that it claims to totally eliminate standing waves. That is a very bold claim. If it comes to be true, then the new AccuEQ Advance will certainly be a game changer. Time will tell.:)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Am I missing something or they really don't have mch pre-outs? Other that that this is the only 9.2 THX certified AVR for under $799 list price. So agreed, really looks like a game changer and in 6 months it may even go for $599.
The 787 and the 730 are identical for the most part. But, the 730 adds multi-channel preouts. Hence, the 720 and the 710 did NOT offer such. Likewise, the 630 does not offer THX Select certification, but does have AccuEQ Advance. However, the 686 offers THX Select certification but no AccuEQ Adavance. Basically, it is a pick your poison kind of thing inmho. Acc4Less offers the 787 in B-stock for $549.99!

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr787/onkyo-tx-nr787-9.2-ch-x-100-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The low price makes them very enticing, but will they last even 3 years?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The low price makes them very enticing, but will they last even 3 years?
Who really knows at this point in time. But, Onkyo has proven to stand behind their products. We all know about the dreadful HDMI boards going out due to excessive heat. It took some time, but Onkyo did acknowledge that there was a problem and extended said warranties. That alone gives some a bit of confidence in answering your question.

Cheers,

Phil

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I was just verifying on ONKYO's website the specs on their RZ730 AVR.
It is advertised as being THX certified. I have no reason to doubt it, but I don't like the info they publish about the power output and THD:

POWER OUTPUT: All Channels: 175w/ch (6 ohm -1KHz -1% THD)
Dynamic Power: 250w (3 ohm) Front
220w (4 ohm) Front
130w (8 ohm) Front
THD: 0.08% (20-20KHz @ Half Power)

What is the exact power rating for an 8 ohm load with 0.1% THD for 2 front channels driven simultaneously? Probably only 75 watts at the most!

Those don't provide any details on the real power output for 2 channels driven. We are far from the info which Denon, Marantz and Yamaha publish on their products.

I am surprised that Gene did not mention the situation, as he was among the ones who complained about the incomplete and misleading specs from manufacturers a couple of years ago.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis