Onkyo TX-NR787 9.2CH AVR w/AccuEQ Advance!!!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I've just perused the specs on the TX-NR787 and ONKYO provides more detailed THD info:

Power Output All Channels100 W/Ch (8 Ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven, FTC)
220 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1 Channel Driven) Dynamic Power250 W (3 Ohms, Front)
220 W (4 Ohms, Front)
130 W (8 Ohms, Front)
THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise)0.08% (20 Hz–20 kHz, Half Power)

This manufacturer is inconsistent in his publishing of specs. With the slightly more detailed info on this AVR, I can conclude that the 730 has the same power amp modules and would have an FTC power rating of 100w/ch at 8 ohms with 0.08% THD. with 2 front channels driven.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I've just perused the specs on the TX-NR787 and ONKYO provides more detailed THD info:

Power Output All Channels100 W/Ch (8 Ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven, FTC)
220 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1 Channel Driven) Dynamic Power250 W (3 Ohms, Front)
220 W (4 Ohms, Front)
130 W (8 Ohms, Front)
THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise)0.08% (20 Hz–20 kHz, Half Power)

This manufacturer is inconsistent in his publishing of specs. With the slightly more detailed info on this AVR, I can conclude that the 730 has the same power amp modules and would have an FTC power rating of 100w/ch at 8 ohms with 0.08% THD.
Andre they are the same. The significant differences are that the 730 has the multi-channel pre-outs AND a 3-year warranty vs. the 2-year warranty on the 787. Also, the RZ series gets priority is there is ever a need to call CS. Other than that there are no major differences that I can see.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I was just verifying on ONKYO's website the specs on their RZ730 AVR.
It is advertised as being THX certified. I have no reason to doubt it, but I don't like the info they publish about the power output and THD:

POWER OUTPUT: All Channels: 175w/ch (6 ohm -1KHz -1% THD)
Dynamic Power: 250w (3 ohm) Front
220w (4 ohm) Front
130w (8 ohm) Front
THD: 0.08% (20-20KHz @ Half Power)

What is the exact power rating for an 8 ohm load with 0.1% THD for 2 front channels driven simultaneously? Probably only 75 watts at the most!

Those don't provide any details on the real power output for 2 channels driven. We are far from the info which Denon, Marantz and Yamaha publish on their products.

I am surprised that Gene did not mention the situation, as he was among the ones who complained about the incomplete and misleading specs from manufacturers a couple of years ago.
Andre, Gene has mentioned several times that most AVR manufacturers are trading power for features. That has been the trend for a good while now. All manufacturers/brands are guilty of that.:)

Cheers,

Phil

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Who really knows at this point in time. But, Onkyo has proven to stand behind their products. We all know about the dreadful HDMI boards going out due to excessive heat. It took some time, but Onkyo did acknowledge that there was a problem and extended said warranties. That alone gives some a bit of confidence in answering your question.

Cheers,

Phil
I still think you would be living dangerously buying a REFURBISHED Onkyo for almost $600.

I hate refurbished AVR/AVP, but if I were living dangerously, I would rather pay $900 and get the Yamaha RX-A3050 (9.2CH, HDMI 2.0, ATMOS/DTS:X) since Yamaha might be the most reliable brand these days.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa3050bl/yamaha-rx-a3050-9.2-ch-x-150-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I still think you would be living dangerously buying a REFURBISHED Onkyo for almost $600.

I hate refurbished AVR/AVP, but if I were living dangerously, I would rather pay $900 and get the Yamaha RX-A3050 (9.2CH, HDMI 2.0, ATMOS/DTS:X) since Yamaha might be the most reliable brand these days.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa3050bl/yamaha-rx-a3050-9.2-ch-x-150-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html
Oh, I would have to agree. No worries as I am not buying anything right now. If I were, it would be the Denon AVR-X3400W for $599! I just think that Onkyo is headed in the right direction. Your point is very well taken here as it usually is.:) Actually, I am looking at many possibilities as we speak. No hurry to do anything given my health. However, sooner rather than later, that will all change as it has before. The time is not now.

Cheers,

Phil

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, I would have to agree. No worries as I am not buying anything right now. If I were, it would be the Denon AVR-X3400W for $599! I just think that Onkyo is headed in the right direction. Your point is very well taken here as it usually is.:) Actually, I am looking at many possibilities as we speak. No hurry to do anything given my health. However, sooner rather than later, that will all change as it has before. The time is not now.

Cheers,

Phil
Yeah, the Denon X3400 for $599 brand new is a better plan. :D

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Isn’t that A3050 about 3 years old? It does come with18 month warranty. For 900, the Denon 3400, 300 less or even Onkyos RZ730 or the RZ820 has 3 years all new units. Just saying, as much as I like Yamaha’s, spending 900 on a unit that’s 3 or more year old already don’t believe I would go that route.

Mike

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Cheers,

Phil
The X3400W is only comparable to the RZ-730 in terms of the amp section but the Onkyo has 9 channel of amplification. It also has 11 channel processing capability and preouts, so it is also comparable with the X4400H. We need to see some bench tests to sort them out a little. :D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The X3400W is only comparable to the RZ-730 in terms of the amp section but the Onkyo has 9 channel of amplification. It also has 11 channel processing capability and preouts, so it is also comparable with the X4400H. We need to see some bench tests to sort them out a little. :D
I agree Peng. We need to see some real world results and see how the new Onkyo's do. Personally, I have a feeling that they are going to do quite well. Guess we will all know soon enough. I just believe that Onkyo is headed in the right direction. For those whose emphasis is on HT, I could easily see some opting for the new Onkyos. :)

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW I see no more reports of Onkyo failures than for other avrs for reliability issues the last few years, maybe @M Code can share how those industry reliability ratings have been last few years. I do have an Onkyo that was repaired past normal warranty under the extended warranty and while not quite ready to give them another chance, I do somewhat keep an eye out on the reliability thing....
The low price makes them very enticing, but will they last even 3 years?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Given that Onkyo stepped up and admitted the HDMI board failures, I am NOT afraid to buy one. But, I am in no hurry as other things have top priority right now. However, the time will come when I make my move. Until then, it is a wait and see for me.

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'll still keep an eye on Onkyo due the Gibson thing....

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I'll still keep an eye on Onkyo due the Gibson thing....
Yeah, that is certainly a bit of concern. Maybe it will all get sorted out. Like you, I am also keeping a close eye out.

Cheers,

Phil

D

darealest1

Enthusiast
Mike, the 787 and the RZ 730 are merely identical w/the exception that the 730 has multi-channel preouts. There are other differences, but most are minor inmho. The 730 does have the 3-year RZ warranty though. The RZ820 is no doubt beefier, but it also does not have the new AccuEQ Advance. For some, that could be a deal breaker. I also agree that the X3400 is the best deal going right now.

Cheers,

Phil
I think the rz820 also does zone 2 and 3 over hdmi not analog, which i didnt care about, so i l went with the cheaper 787, plus i dont need the multichannel pre outs at this point.

D

darealest1

Enthusiast
i have a question for you guys with the expertise. On my new 787, i use svs elevation modules mounted on the front wall at the very top where it meets the ceiling. While playing around the the settings and tweaking things, i noticed i get a much better atmos effect when i designate the elavation modules as top rear instead of front high, where they are actually located, i mean much better. And yes, i do have the elevation modules in the correct downfiring position. Any ideas would be appreciated.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I think the rz820 also does zone 2 and 3 over hdmi not analog, which i didnt care about, so i l went with the cheaper 787, plus i dont need the multichannel pre outs at this point.
Yeah I think that the 787 is a true game changer for Onkyo. But, lots of red flags going off given what Gibson has been doing lately. Both Onkyo and Pioneer's home division may be on borrowed time. That is certainly a case for concern inmho.:)

Cheers,

Phil

D

darealest1

Enthusiast
I agree Peng. We need to see some real world results and see how the new Onkyo's do. Personally, I have a feeling that they are going to do quite well. Guess we will all know soon enough. I just believe that Onkyo is headed in the right direction. For those whose emphasis is on HT, I could easily see some opting for the new Onkyos. :)

Cheers,

Phil
The 787 is pretty good so far. I installed it ago along with some svs elevation modules to go 7.2.2. Its replacing my old txnr 626 i had for 4 years. The accu eq advance, the new update to it, is really good. It took all of the boominess out of my subs by eliminating standing waves as it claims it does, and it plays close to the max without distortion much better than my old 7 channel 626. It also has no problem driving all channels at once at loud volume, which i did with music in dolby surround. As far as reliability, this is my third onkyo receiver in a row, and ive never had a problem. I just make sure they have plenty of room for ventilation. So far, im quite impressed by it. On a side note, i was going to buy the 9.2 channel marantz but it wont fit in my rack, so here i am.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The 787 is pretty good so far. I installed it ago along with some svs elevation modules to go 7.2.2. Its replacing my old txnr 626 i had for 4 years. The accu eq advance, the new update to it, is really good. It took all of the boominess out of my subs by eliminating standing waves as it claims it does, and it plays close to the max without distortion much better than my old 7 channel 626. It also has no problem driving all channels at once at loud volume, which i did with music in dolby surround. As far as reliability, this is my third onkyo receiver in a row, and ive never had a problem. I just make sure they have plenty of room for ventilation. So far, im quite impressed by it. On a side note, i was going to buy the 9.2 channel marantz but it wont fit in my rack, so here i am.
Very happy to hear this. Thanks so much for sharing. It sounds like the 787 is quite the performer. Nothing wrong w/that at all. Also glad to hear that the new AccuEQ Advance has been an improvement to the AccuEQ. Can't wait for a review where there are some actual measurements. I am sure that will happen soon enough. Appreciate you taking the time to share with us all here.:)

Cheers,

Phil

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
My main interest in the new AccuEQ is that it claims to totally eliminate standing waves. That is a very bold claim. If it comes to be true, then the new AccuEQ Advance will certainly be a game changer. Time will tell.:)

Cheers,

Phil
Any good eq that can correct both the phase and response simultaneously dampens room modes, audyssey does this quite well. If you look at a phase response graph, places where there are peaks will show up often as a phase deviation. Correcting the response and the phase via room correction has the speaker or sub working against the room mode and greatly reduces ringing this can be seen on a waterfall graph.

AFAIK, only audyssey and Dirac live can independently adjust frequency response and phase response, this is the whole idea behind audyssey's time domain correction. I'd be interested in seeing a before and after response graph of both frequency and phase in rew with accueq.

My experience with accueq on the tx-nr656 was awful. Shrill and brittle highs and midrange, inappropriate distance, xover, and spl measurements, and poor correction of bass response. It made my already mostly accurate system anything but accurate and sounded awful. It would be nice if the new versions are actually doing some good, would help give us other options similar to ypao and mcacc.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis