Onkyo AVR: 4K @ 60hz, HDR/Dolby Vision "flicker"

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If your 676 is on the latest firmware, press and hold the BD/DVD button on the unit. Then, while holding it, press the ON/STANDBY button to change the 4k mode from STANDARD(4:2:0/8 bit) to ENHANCED.

S

shadow83blk

Enthusiast
If your 676 is on the latest firmware, press and hold the BD/DVD button on the unit. Then, while holding it, press the ON/STANDBY button to change the 4k mode from STANDARD(4:2:0/8 bit) to ENHANCED.
Thanks, done. Did not make a difference. I am really disappointed though in Onkyo that their manual is missing so much info.

Last edited:
S

shadow83blk

Enthusiast
This is strange. The black screens seems to have stopped before I changed to 4k Enhanced mode (made no difference) but the audio will blip intermittently. Whether I watch downloaded or streaming video every so often the audio will go silent for about a second or two. No lights change on the receiver, it just goes silent and comes back?? Just to make sure that it wasn't the video I went back and the sound was there. This is getting real strange. BTW, my TV is a new Samsung 4K.

Thank you all for your help. I am really beginning to wonder about the Onkyo receiver.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think the issue unfortunately has a simple explanation. You own Onkyo receivers which is a major mistake. They are known problem units. They are under capitalized and have been for some time. It is obvious to me that they have not mastered the increased rate of, and more complex repeater handshakes, of the higher resolutions.

These days, it really does come down to Denon/Marantz, or Yamaha as your receiver options.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Go into the Samsung settings for external devices and make sure UHD color is enabled for the HDMI ports or they won’t accept anything more than 4:2:0. See if that helps at all. Can’t speak to older Onkyos, but my TX-NR777 and TX-NR696 work perfectly while my new Yamaha sits unplugged. It’s a mess. My current(last) Samsung TV has several personalities. I call her Sybil.

S

shadow83blk

Enthusiast
I think the issue unfortunately has a simple explanation. You own Onkyo receivers which is a major mistake. They are known problem units. They are under capitalized and have been for some time. It is obvious to me that they have not mastered the increased rate of, and more complex repeater handshakes, of the higher resolutions.

These days, it really does come down to Denon/Marantz, or Yamaha as your receiver options.
You may be right. I loved Onkyo for 30 years but that was before modern home theater came along, Onkyo was superb for music listening but they may now be behind the curve when it comes to Home theater. When I search reviews for the best home theater receivers I keep seeing Denon, Sony and Marantz.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You may be right. I loved Onkyo for 30 years but that was before modern home theater came along, Onkyo was superb for music listening but they may now be behind the curve when it comes to Home theater. When I search reviews for the best home theater receivers I keep seeing Denon, Sony and Marantz.
I like Onkyo a lot...until they changed what made them good. My 806 had HDMI issues and had a board replaced because of it. You may see if yours is in that boat too.

S

shadow83blk

Enthusiast
Go into the Samsung settings for external devices and make sure UHD color is enabled for the HDMI ports or they won’t accept anything more than 4:2:0. See if that helps at all. Can’t speak to older Onkyos, but my TX-NR777 and TX-NR696 work perfectly while my new Yamaha sits unplugged. It’s a mess. My current(last) Samsung TV has several personalities. I call her Sybil.
The only problem that I am having is with the PC HDMI input, my Uverse receiver and BR player work perfectly. I had an HP laptop that was a few years old connected and no problem. That crashed and now I have a new HP laptop (not anything fancy like a gaming laptop) and it is having problems. I can only figure that the vid card in the new laptop is overwhelming the receiver.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry it’s not working for you. Does the laptop have settings for HDMI output?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The only problem that I am having is with the PC HDMI input, my Uverse receiver and BR player work perfectly. I had an HP laptop that was a few years old connected and no problem. That crashed and now I have a new HP laptop (not anything fancy like a gaming laptop) and it is having problems. I can only figure that the vid card in the new laptop is overwhelming the receiver.
Set the output on the PC to 1920x1080 with 8bit color and 60hz (or whatever your TV is) and be done. That receiver will accept a 4k signal, but it's VERY limited and probably won't look as good as the 1080p signal and let the TV upscale.

S

shadow83blk

Enthusiast
I spoke too soon. Intermittent black screens are back. I just did a complete system reset on the receiver just in case I had something set goofy. We'll see when I watch later.

If that didn't work I will try your laptop setting suggestion;

Thanks to everyone. I am high risk (diagnosed with cancer Jan 2020), live alone and have been working from home for almost a year so going a little wacky. I need the laptop connected to the TV to keep in touch with family and friends or my brain would turn to oatmeal. I actually bought a second laptop because I suspected that the problem was the new laptop and HP would only repair it if I sent it back to them and I couldn't be without a computer for that long. I know, sounds pitiful.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I spoke too soon. Intermittent black screens are back. I just did a complete system reset on the receiver just in case I had something set goofy. We'll see when I watch later.

If that didn't work I will try your laptop setting suggestion;

Thanks to everyone. I am high risk, live alone and have been working from home for almost a year so going a little wacky. I need the laptop connected to the TV to keep in touch with family and friends or my brain would turn to oatmeal.
Go to a Goodwill Thrift store and get a moniter. They are cheap as $20-40. Even cheaper sometimes. Try going to at least 3 or 4 stores.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Posted this earlier, but here are the supported resolutions for the Onkyo in Enhanced vs Standard mode. While streaming something from the laptop, press the info button repeatedly on the Onkyo remote control to display the incoming and outgoing signal information. Make sure those HDMI cables are rated at 18gbs or more or blackouts will occur because the 10gbs cables don’t cut it for 4K HDR. Had to replace all of mine a while ago after having blackouts. Hope you work it out.
2955D1F9-9EFB-4FD6-BD6A-B7D07F610A8B.jpeg

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Posted this earlier, but here are the supported resolutions for the Onkyo in Enhanced vs Standard mode. While streaming something from the laptop, press the info button repeatedly on the Onkyo remote control to display the incoming and outgoing signal information. Make sure those HDMI cables are rated at 18gbs or more or blackouts will occur because the 10gbs cables don’t cut it for 4K HDR. Had to replace all of mine a while ago after having blackouts. Hope you work it out.
View attachment 45478
That's dumb that you have to specify in the input. It seems I thought that receiver is as old as mine, but it's much newer if it supports 4k 60p. I don't think mine does above 4k 30p

S

shadow83blk

Enthusiast
View attachment 45478
WOW Thanks.
I bought new 4K cables thinking that was the problem but only 10.2 Gbps - Amazon Basics 10.2 Gbps High-Speed 4K HDMI Cable with Braided Cord, 6-Foot, Silver
I saw something about that and ordered a 4K HDR HDMI Cable 6 Feet, 18Gbps 4K 120Hz, 4K 60Hz(4:4:4, HDR10, ARC, HDCP2.2) 1440p 144Hz, High Speed Ultra HD Cord 26AWG

I only ordered 1 for the laptop but should I have 18Gbps on all devices including going to the TV? Or maybe just the laptop and receiver to TV since neither my BR/DVD player or Uverse receiver are 4K?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yes.Best to have identical cables all the way around. The weakest one will be the bottle neck.

S

shadow83blk

Enthusiast
Yes.Best to have identical cables all the way around. The weakest one will be the bottle neck.
But neither my BR/DVD player or Uverse receiver are 4K, do they need such a cable?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Might as well get them and be good to go if you update or add any devices. Make sure any cable you get is premium certified.
DE6D8FC4-0ABF-42A5-B3AE-D7D17229AC5E.jpeg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis