Onkyo AVR: 4K @ 60hz, HDR/Dolby Vision "flicker"

P

PCTech714

Audiophyte
Hi, everybody!

I'm sorry my first post has to be a call for help, but I'd heard you're all friendly with new folks and I could use some friendly advice.

For the record, I'm not entirely new. I've been a mid-level home theater enthusiast for over 25 years, but my current situation has me stumped.

First of all, here's a rundown of what I'm using:

TV
TCL 55R617 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079N9HDNQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
HDMI3 (ARC) is set to HDMI 2.0
It's set to show either HDR (for HDR10) or Dolby Vision if that mode is active

Receiver
Onkyo TX-NR575
HDMI Out is to the HDMI3 (ARC) connection on the TV
All of the HDMI Ins are set to HDCP 2.2

Tested devices
Windows 10 PC (Nvidia GTX 1060 video card, HDMI)
Apple TV 4K
Playstation 4 Pro
Xbox One X

Cables
The HDMI out from the receiver as well as the cables for the PC and PS4 Pro are all using this cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N343SBS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The cable for the Apple TV is using the same cable type, but just shorter:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XNRJSSW/ref=twister_B07QG1KB3C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
The Xbox One X is using the cable that came with it which is supposed to support all the features I need.

What I'm experiencing
First, the Onkyo has a Standard/Enhanced setting that you can switch by pressing Power and BD/DVD at the same time.
When I set it to Enhanced (which is what it should be), I experience the following:

* The Apple TV works perfectly and is recognized by my TV as using Dolby Vision @ 60Hz. I've watched hours of video with no problem at this setting.
* The Playstation 4 Pro seems to work perfectly. I have it set to the following -- Resolution: 2160p - YUV420, RGB range: Full, HDR: Auto, Deep Color: Auto. When I go into the video settings it tells me that it supports HDR @ 60Hz (it doesn't specify either Dolby Vision or HDR10 ... may be a system thing). When I start a game (e.g. Hitman 2) it shows HDR on the TV.
* This is where the problems start. In Enhanced mode on the receiver, with both the Xbox and the PC, the screen does this weird, random flickering thing when they're set to use HDR. It's hard to describe, but essentially the screen will show a gray picture then go completely black for a couple of seconds and then come back on. I notice that during this whole thing the receiver's LED display speaker indicators will go blank, then come back to their normal configuration (5.1.2).
Even stranger, this seems to happen at random times. Sometimes everything will be working fine for a minute or two before the "flicker" and at other times it will happen over and over several times every few seconds.

When I switch the Onkyo to the Standard setting, this is what I get:
* The Apple TV still works perfectly, but I can only get HDR10. It refused to detect Dolby Vision except at 30Hz. Will not do Dolby Vision @ 60Hz.
* The PS4 Pro is still telling me it's doing HDR at 60Hz, but I have my doubts. When I bring up Hitman 2 it still displays HDR on the TV when it starts. Maybe @ 30Hz?
* The PC and Xbox One X work flawlessly. Of course, neither of them are bringing up HDR. When I go into the Xbox One X video settings it's telling me that it's incapable of HDR. I turned off HDR on the PC, but I can imagine it will fail as before if I activate it.

Finally, if I connect the PC or Xbox One directly to the HDMI3 (ARC) connector on the TV using their existing cables, all of the best modes work fine, which is what led me to post this on the receiver forum because I think it's an issue with the Onkyo.

Oddly enough it's the Microsoft Windows-based devices that are giving me the problem! Geeze, I hope there aren't any Mac users seeing this! :)

My only other thought is that it might be the HDMI Out from the receiver to the TV. I'm seriously considering investing in an 8k cable like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S1CGQ9Z/?coliid=I11NE8ITOZ6UP3&colid=1PISKL7D8NVD5&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it thinking that it's some sort of throughput issue.

Anyway, thank you for reading through this ridiculously long post. Any help that you all could provide would be greatly appreciated! I tried my best to provide all of the information I thought would be useful, but if you need more info on something let me know.

Thanks,

Joe

B

Blater

Audiophyte
Hi Joe,
I have exactly the same issue (screen’s random flickering during 4K HDR content transferred from my laptop to the TV via Onkyo receiver) on a similar configuration (1060–> nr676–> Sony xe85).
Did you get any solution for it?
best regards,
Blater

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I couldn't tell if the cables you purchased were Premium Certified cables. There are less expensive Premium Certified cables available at Monoprice.com. Here is what Onkyo has to say about the Enhanced and Standard settings.
2B6F99A8-9563-4A42-8EA8-B3B0E51A3897.jpeg

scooterlord

scooterlord

Audiophyte
Hello! So I am having the same issue. Changed 5 cables, and got the best I could get....2.1 premium cables.

I can't test any other device other than my Windows PC but the problem described is exactly what I am facing. At 4k@60Hz I get random screen flickers through the AVR but not when I connect directly to the TV.

Have you found a solution?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hello! So I am having the same issue. Changed 5 cables, and got the best I could get....2.1 premium cables.

I can't test any other device other than my Windows PC but the problem described is exactly what I am facing. At 4k@60Hz I get random screen flickers through the AVR but not when I connect directly to the TV.

Have you found a solution?
Which 4K tv? There should be a motion handling on the menu in the picture settings. Also check for firmware updates.

Last edited:
scooterlord

scooterlord

Audiophyte
I am using the LG OLED 65 CX, Nvidia 2060 Super, Onkyo 676E. All latest drivers & firmware - actually donwloading the latest Nvidia driver that came today 456.71.

The problem is not 'flicker', but what the OP describes - random black screens for a couple of seconds without apparent reason.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I am using the LG OLED 65 CX, Nvidia 2060 Super, Onkyo 676E. All latest drivers & firmware - actually donwloading the latest Nvidia driver that came today 456.71.

The problem is not 'flicker', but what the OP describes - random black screens for a couple of seconds without apparent reason.
Does it do it without the receiver?

scooterlord

scooterlord

Audiophyte
Does it do it without the receiver?
No, it seems to be working fine in the long sessions I've been having when the cable is connected to the TV.

The problem is exactly as the OP describes... so, it's most likely caused by the receiver somehow... but is it due to the receiver or a combination of other things - software or hardware. The thing is that it doesn't happen at specific points in time. It randomly occurs - I could be playing for hours and then have it occur once every 20 seconds.

Also doesn't happen in lower refresh rates, eg @30Hz. So, is it a cable bandwidth issue? An HDCP handshake issue? Could this issue be fixed by a future firmware? A million questions.

And imagine I replaced my receiver last year to be 'future proof'.. pff

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
No, it seems to be working fine in the long sessions I've been having when the cable is connected to the TV.

The problem is exactly as the OP describes... so, it's most likely caused by the receiver somehow... but is it due to the receiver or a combination of other things - software or hardware. The thing is that it doesn't happen at specific points in time. It randomly occurs - I could be playing for hours and then have it occur once every 20 seconds.

Also doesn't happen in lower refresh rates, eg @30Hz. So, is it a cable bandwidth issue? An HDCP handshake issue? Could this issue be fixed by a future firmware? A million questions.

And imagine I replaced my receiver last year to be 'future proof'.. pff
Time to check an older receiver if you have one. Could be the AVR. Call the manufacturer and see what they say. Maybe a firmware update was corrupted.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I believe the TV and Nvidia support VRR, Free Sync and G Sync while the Onkyo does not support any of them. It seems to be an issue when the signal hits the Onkyo. Is there a setting to lock it at 60HZ from the PC so that the Onkyo can handle it or is 30HZ the limit for a fixed rate? Try switching the Onkyo HDMI 4K setting back and forth from Standard to Enhanced to see if that helps at all. I hope you sort it out.

scooterlord

scooterlord

Audiophyte
Hello again, thanks for trying to help me out.

I have already contacted Onkyo but I still haven't heard back from them yet.

Trebdp83, I am not really sure what you are talking about; refresh rate stays at 60Hz - I don't care about VRR, G-sync, etc. The thing is that there's not specific time that the issues occur... they just randomly happen. If it was one of these features to blame, then it just wouldn't work, or at least it would have a consistency of appearance. Currently, I could play for an hour and the issue could not occur at all, or it could occur in the first 5 mins and constantly re-occurring multiple times in a row.

I was really hoping for the OP to see this topic and respond, hopefully with a solution!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I believe the OP and the poster after him had issues with a PC connected to their Onkyo receivers as you do. You may have luck with "Premium Certified" cables. While some new HDMI 2.1 cables are being sold as Premium, there are currently no actual "Premium Certified" HDMI 2.1 cables. I had bandwidth issues with a UHD player and Apple TV 4K through an Onkyo tx-nr777 and had the momentary "black outs". It drove me nuts. I bought "Premium Certified" 18gbps cables that support 4k @60hz and that did the trick. If you should try new cables, make sure the Onkyo's HDMI mode is set to Enhanced. Sorry the OP is MIA. I hope you work it out.

scooterlord

scooterlord

Audiophyte
Thanks for the constant support Trebdp83. I bought - among others - the following 2.1, 10k-120Hz compatible cable:

Really, I don't think it's a cable thing; I get that some equipment might be more sensitive than others (in this case the AVR be more sensitive than the TV) but... really?

Yes, I have my Onkyo set to Enhanced. As a temporary solution I also got a DP->HDMI adapter and separately sending audio to my AVR. I am not happy obviously because this changes my flow and raises new issues.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I hope it works for you. But, just try not to spend too much on cables when the Onkyo is the bottleneck. While the PC and TV are capable of various resolutions and rates, the Onkyo is not and a "Premium Certified" cable rated at 18gbps and 4K @60hz should be fine. Monoprice has a good selection of inexpensive "Premium Certified" cables. Also, you may need to make adjustments to the PC picture output. If you look at the chart I included in a previous post, you will see the compatible resolutions and corresponding bits capable by the Onkyo. So, if your PC is trying to send a signal not listed in the Onkyo’s range, you will have issues regardless of the HDMI cable. Look for a cable with the “Premium Certified” label. I hope you work it out.
31D39CD5-4978-4DF4-A28D-3C63C679CCBD.jpeg

L

LarrxX

Audiophyte
Just chiming in to say I have exactly the same problem with my PC (Windows 10, Nvidia 1080GTX), Onkyo TX-NR545 and Samsung QE55Q80TATXXC TV.

All firmwares are up to date and direct connection bypassing the Onkyo works flawlessly.

So I'm curious if anybody finds a solution to this...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
So, a PC to the Onkyo is the issue. Not sure if any of you know the HDCP version of your PC or if you have adjusted any of it’s video settings. Here is a chart of the 545’s supported resolutions. If you are sending it a video signal outside of it’s supported resolutions, you will have issues. Your TV may just have better video capabilities and your Onkyo is not actually defective.
0EC88339-BD94-4D0F-A73C-0602A64744C3.jpeg

B

Blater

Audiophyte
Hi guys,

A short update from my side.

Actually the issue was gone for few months (or I have to say it’s occurrence frequency was very low)... however yesterday, when a friend of mine just connected my running laptop to the running AVR - it started over. So maybe it is somehow related to a sync between AVR and the laptop.
I have also noticed that it mostly flickers when the Desktop is open, while running any application (like a game) it is getting better.
All firmware/drivers are up to date.

Maybe this info will help.

Best regards,

Blater

Last edited:
S

shadow83blk

Enthusiast
I have an Onkyo tx-nr676 receiver and HP 15r I7CPU laptop and am having the same problem. For the past year or more I had an old HP I5 laptop connected and never had this problem That PC died in December 2020 and I bought a new HP 15r I5 laptop and the problem started. Bought all new HD 4k certified cables and nada. Thought that it was a problem with the Laptop so returned it and bought a new HP 15r I7 10 GEN laptop and the same problem. The blank screen is intermittent but audio drops for a second or two quite often whether I am watching streaming or downloaded video.

Has anyone actually found a fix yet?

Has anyone tried changing PC the RCVR input HDMI ports? The back of my receiver is difficult to get to but thinking of changing from PC port to another to see if that might be the problem?

I am so frustrated that I am at the point of dumping the Onkyo receiver for another brand. I have been a lifetime Onkyo fan but this problem is souring me.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Try turning down the back light on the 4KTV/PC screen between 55-80 and see what happens.

S

shadow83blk

Enthusiast
From what I can find it seems that Onkyo is having trouble dealing with the HDR from the laptop. Has anyone found a reasonably prices receiver that can?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis