Once again: what are you listening to now? Part 2.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
A blues album by Boz Scaggs. I didnt realise he was into the blues..

folder.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm deep, deep down a live Metallica rabbit hole right now. It's amazing how much better "And Justice For All" sounds with some actual bass in it!

Plus Metallica still kicks nuts live. The audio on this video actually sounds really good too. It's well recorded.

Song starts before they hit the stage. They kick in after the intro.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm deep, deep down a live Metallica rabbit hole right now. It's amazing how much better "And Justice For All" sounds with some actual bass in it!

Plus Metallica still kicks nuts live. The audio on this video actually sounds really good too. It's well recorded.

Song starts before they hit the stage. They kick in after the intro.
This is what I'm listening to. :) I knew when I started the video that I was going to listen to the whole thing. Hard to believe they're creeping up on playing that song for 40 years.

I know Metallica is Dad rock now, but I love that stupid band. They're one of the few I may never get tired of. Well, the first 4 albums at least.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is what I'm listening to. :) I knew when I started the video that I was going to listen to the whole thing. Hard to believe they're creeping up on playing that song for 40 years.

I know Metallica is Dad rock now, but I love that stupid band. They're one of the few I may never get tired of. Well, the first 4 albums at least.
They nail it in that video don't they? I gotta agree with you about Metallica. Where their new material lacks they make up for it with live performances of their classics. I've been jamming to their concert clips all afternoon. They have a lot of material on yt and some of them are mixed and recorded really well!

Check this out, I thought it was really cool. "No Remorse" performed live from their very first tour!

Same song, live, 35 years later!

That's just too cool and one of my absolute favorite songs. Not just by them. Period.

I also just discovered Anthrax has a 2004 double album called "The Greater Of Two Evils". It's a fan generated collection of favorite songs recorded live in the studio with their then new vocalist and it's really good. Great recording quality and a more updated heavier sound to some of their classics like "Caught In A Mosh", "Among The Living", "I Am The Law" and "Keep It In The Family". I'm digging it way more than I thought I would.

Ahh... nostalgia feelers...

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
One of my favorite Black Sabbath tracks from one of the first LPs that I ever purchased as a teen, and I still have that copy of Paranoid in my collection. @Pogre have you ever checked out old Sabbath? Not as fast and heavy as Metallica but the bass and guitar in this particular track is so melodic and many credit Sabbath for leading up to modern metal.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
One of my favorite Black Sabbath tracks from one of the first LPs that I ever purchased as a teen, and I still have that copy of Paranoid in my collection. @Pogre have you ever checked out old Sabbath? Not as fast and heavy as Metallica but the bass and guitar in this particular track is so melodic and many credit Sabbath for leading up to modern metal.
That album will always be in my top 10 all time favorites. My aunt has Paranoid and Master of Reality on LP and won't let me have them. Not cool.

The first 3 Black Sabbath albums are some of the best ever.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre have you ever checked out old Sabbath? Not as fast and heavy as Metallica but the bass and guitar in this particular track is so melodic and many credit Sabbath for leading up to modern metal.
:oops:

Pogre = metalhead.

War Pigs
Fairies Wear Boots
Sweet Leaf
Iron Man

A few of my favorites off the top of my head, tho admitted'y it's been a li'l while since I've jammed Sabbath. However I am very familiar with and love older Sabbath! I also agree that they very well might be the first to really define heavy metal as it is today with the attitude, detuned distorted guitars and their heavy style in general. I like some of their stuff with Dio too.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
That album will always be in my top 10 all time favorites. My aunt has Paranoid and Master of Reality on LP and won't let me have them. Not cool.

The first 3 Black Sabbath albums are some of the best ever.
LOL. I hope she'll pass them down to you sooner rather than later. I was really into Master of Reality in high school but Paranoid is an album that I never get tired of. Volume 4 has some great tracks as well and I still get drawn to Never Say Die on occasion.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
LOL. I hope she'll pass them down to you sooner rather than later. I was really into Master of Reality in high school but Paranoid is an album that I never get tired of. Volume 4 has some great tracks as well and I still get drawn to Never Say Die on occasion.
Paranoid was prolly my favorite also.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
:oops:

Pogre = metalhead.

War Pigs
Fairies Wear Boots
Sweet Leaf
Iron Man

A few of my favorites off the top of my head, tho admitted'y it's been a li'l while since I've jammed Sabbath. However I am very familiar with and love older Sabbath! I also agree that they very well might be the first to really define heavy metal as it is today with the attitude, detuned distorted guitars and their heavy style in general. I like some of their stuff with Dio too.
I love how Tony Iommi double tracks his solos, and it's readily noticeable that it's not delay but two separate tracks. I have Heaven and Hell & Mob Rules as well, with Dio on vocals. Different but still good.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, and I know you're a metalhead :), but just curious as to how far back you've gone in your researches.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I love how Tony Iommi double tracks his solos, and it's readily noticeable that it's not delay but two separate tracks. I have Heaven and Hell & Mob Rules as well, with Dio on vocals. Different but still good.
Almost too different imo, but still good yes. Dio is a legit fantastic vocalist and I think he blows Ozzy away technically. Ozzy tho, just has that intangible "it" factor that's so hard to put your finger on. They just weren't the same without him. I'm a huge Dio fan too tho, and love most of his solo stuff.

Yeah Tony Iommi. Did you know he was missing a couple of fingertips from a factory accident? He uses plastic prosthetic fingertips to play guitar!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, and I know you're a metalhead :), but just curious as to how far back you've gone in your researches.
I know, I was just being comedic. I was born in 1970 and have loved heavy music as long as I can remember so Sabbath was definitely well in my wheelhouse along with Led Zep, Iron Butterfly (Inna Godda Da Vida Baby!), then AC/DC, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. My parents were both in a band and music was a huge part of my life since I was born.

I LOVED Iron Maiden in my teens and still do, but when Metallica and Megadeth hit the scene they blew my balls off with heavy metal like never before. Then I think the 90's and early 2000's produced some of the heaviest music yet, with bands like Korn, Slipknot and TOOL who took it into a more progressive direction. I'm still open to new and different stuff tho. If someone comes along and somehow makes metal sound even heavier (not necessarily faster or thrashier) I'd love it too.

I think my idea of heavy might be a little different from most in that speed and thrash aren't what makes something sound heavy to me. There's a lot of death and doom metal out there that I don't think sounds all that heavy. More like fast frenetic noise. I like it really tight and controlled, not fast and sloppy. There needs to be a nice, heavy, textured "crunch" to the sound, underscored by strong bass. I still think the beginning of "No Remorse" from Metallica's first ep is one of the heaviest sounding sections of a song I know of.

The whole beginning of that song just sounds so fargin' heavy to me. Oh, and turn that sh!t up! It has some great sounding bass underscoring it too.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I know, I was just being comedic. I was born in 1970 and have loved heavy music as long as I can remember so Sabbath was definitely well in my wheelhouse along with Led Zep, Iron Butterfly (Inna Godda Da Vida Baby!), then AC/DC, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. My parents were both in a band and music was a huge part of my life since I was born.

I LOVED Iron Maiden in my teens and still do, but when Metallica and Megadeth hit the scene they blew my balls off with heavy metal like never before. Then I think the 90's and early 2000's produced some of the heaviest music yet, with bands like Korn, Slipknot and TOOL who took it into a more progressive direction. I'm still open to new and different stuff tho. If someone comes along and somehow makes metal sound even heavier (not necessarily faster or thrashier) I'd love it too.

I think my idea of heavy might be a little different from most in that speed and thrash aren't what makes something sound heavy to me. There's a lot of death and doom metal out there that I don't think sounds all that heavy. More like fast frenetic noise. I like it really tight and controlled, not fast and sloppy. There needs to be a nice, heavy, textured "crunch" to the sound, underscored by strong bass. I still think the beginning of "No Remorse" from Metallica's first ep is one of the heaviest sounding sections of a song I know of.

The whole beginning of that song just sounds so fargin' heavy to me. Oh, and turn that sh!t up! It has some great sounding bass underscoring it too.
Other than the 70's the 90's and 2000's had some of the best metal. 80's metal had it's place, but the 80's bands I like were Metallica, Slayer, Sepultura, etc. Hell, even Nine Inch Nails "could' be considered 80's since that's when the first album came out.

Now? There is good metal, but nothing "new" that makes you pay attention. At least, it doesn't seem that way to me. I need to keep looking for new stuff.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's not to say I only like heavy metal tho. I'm into a lot of other stuff too, but metal is and always will be my first musical love. It gets the strongest reaction from me.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

@Pogre
You probably remember, but, I'm not a metal guy. But, I appreciate and like the way you follow that genre and have a genuine affection for it. I too lived the 70's although I started in the 50s. Black Sabbath changed the game when they hit the stage. Its always easy to follow and copy. Any 12 year old kid and pick up a guitar and shred out most popular metal songs. It takes a very different talent to start a genre or kick off a musical movement. Sabbath did that and to a large extent many of the other bands we both like. My tastes run lighter but that don't mean I can't appreciate another mans affection for his music. Its music after all that should drive our interest in the hobby.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That's not to say I only like heavy metal tho. I'm into a lot of other stuff, but metal is and always will be my first musical love. It gets the strongest reaction from me.
That's a great way of putting it. I love anything I consider good. Genre doesn't matter to me one bit.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis