davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
understood, it was sarcasm at play ;)
I don't agree with student loan forgiveness that would be unfair to all the people who paid their student loans. But I do agree with lowering the cost of college tuition. I used my GI bill to attend college so maybe that is a way to entice young people to serve their country.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
I don't agree with student loan forgiveness that would be unfair to all the people who paid their student loans. But I do agree with lowering the cost of college tuition.
That would be unfair to all the people who paid the raised price for college. Of course, them paying that was unfair to them given all the generations that had affordable college.

I remind you as well: in some fields there are already other ways to get those paid (for example: doctors can spend time servicing remote areas for forgiveness).

I used my GI bill to attend college so maybe that is a way to entice young people to serve their country.
Wasn't that unfair to all the armed forces personnel who served outside the window that was paid for?

Maybe "life is unfair" is a lesson we should all learn.

I'm reminded that there two ways of approaching anything: "I had to go through that horrible thing so you should too" and "I had to go through that horrible thing, which is why I hope no one else has to".

D

David_Alexander

Audioholic Intern
I don't agree with student loan forgiveness that would be unfair to all the people who paid their student loans. But I do agree with lowering the cost of college tuition. I used my GI bill to attend college so maybe that is a way to entice young people to serve their country.
Difficult one to answer about student loans.

My experience, from England.

As a mature student in the 90's I took out student loans to assist me through the duration of my course. Six thousand total over the three years, paid off within six years of work. Done.w

Now it's harder, you almost have to pay for most of your course.

I went to work at a place which employed one of the last guys who had come from a completely free (all paid for-no fee) education. If they'd had pits, he'd be sent down to them and he would have been broken within them.

Turns out that this wee beastie was was of the best minds I've ever met. He could not have entered education on a fee-for-course basis. In his mind, debt was associated with loan sharks and penuary. He would never have taken on education because his limited cost-benefit analysis didn't have the scope to associate debt with future reward.

In essence. Spend shed loads on education. Primary, secondary, higher and further, in that order. Paid for by taxation. And you will reap the rewards.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
My experience, from England.

As a mature student in the 90's I took out student loans to assist me through the duration of my course. Six thousand total over the three years, paid off within six years of work. Done.w
Go up an order of magnitude or two on cost for the US. Don't forget compounding interest.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Many had repaid the principal and were more maintaining some ridiculous interest payments. I remember when applying to college/university (US) that some of the older brothers and sisters of friends said just take out a loan and move, they'll never find you! :) I never did take out a loan myself but no scholarship either, after a year of indecision on what I wanted to do there I just went to work.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
I remember when applying to college/university (US) that some of the older brothers and sisters of friends said just take out a loan and move, they'll never find you! :) I never did take out a loan myself but no scholarship either, after a year of indecision on what I wanted to do there I just went to work.
The loan is tied to your SSN. You won't get lost.

If you live outside the US (and are not a citizen of the US), then that might work; though I don't know if such people are eligible for student loans.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The loan is tied to your SSN. You won't get lost.

If you live outside the US (and are not a citizen of the US), then that might work; though I don't know if such people are eligible for student loans.
That may be now, but they seemed to use other ways back then (early 70s)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
They may not necessarily been all Ukranian, some could be supporters, a sad day.
The cases I heard of were Ukrainian ex-pats. There were also instances in Oslo / Norway where ruzzians were violently attacking Ukrainians in a demonstration to end the war.

Clearly to me this is not putlers war, this is ruzzias war!

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
When Trump said, unity. Yep the person who should be saying that LOL. Nope, can't make that up. :D

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Another reason to look beyond Trump down the line. The defense from certain conservative commentators on Russia or anti-semitism etc. It's Trump's trickle-down influence. I think a more respectable Republican and that goes away. That nitch of voters isn't given the time.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I wasn't discussing addiction.
You wrote "It's like the war on drugs. There is no fixing the issue as long as there is demand."- how is addiction NOT part of this? People who aren't addicted don't buy these drugs illegally, unless they're doing it for someone else.

Telling people to "Just say no". Yeah, that works.

But nothing about reducing peoples' need- it was all attempted on the supply side and it still is.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
You wrote "It's like the war on drugs. There is no fixing the issue as long as there is demand."- how is addiction NOT part of this? People who aren't addicted don't buy these drugs illegally, unless they're doing it for someone else.

Telling people to "Just say no". Yeah, that works.

But nothing about reducing peoples' need- it was all attempted on the supply side and it still is.
It's like the war on drugs in that addressing it primarily as a law enforcement issue has been futile. Whether the demand is generated by addiction or day traders partying with nose candy is secondary.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Go up an order of magnitude or two on cost for the US. Don't forget compounding interest.
A couple who a very close friends of my wife and I immigrated from the US (Colorado) about 15 years ago. When their two daughters were approaching university age, they both expressed interest in going to American schools, as their parents had. That idea was peremptorily shot down.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It's like the war on drugs in that addressing it primarily as a law enforcement issue has been futile. Whether the demand is generated by addiction or day traders partying with nose candy is secondary.
I don't know how that many 'day traders' could go unnoticed. Have you seen the amount of drugs confiscated in large amounts? Then, there's the question of "How can people be addicted and keep their jobs, families, homes, car, pay bills, buy food, etc?". Many, as I wrote, never intended to become addicts, it just happens. I live in a nice suburb, but know of several OD deaths, one was three houses away and I know the kid's dad from high school. Another lived around the corner and I went to high school with his step father and had known his biological father since I was a kid. Another was about two blocks away and I had met her parents & grandfather in about 2003- they lived in this subdivision until the mom inherited a bunch of money and they bought a house for the kids to use. Many police/EMS calls to that house and eventually, they stopped when the daughter overdosed.

Nose candy is at the back of the bus- now, it's Meth & Opiates that are in highest demand.

Have you seen videos of an area in Philadelphia called the Kensington?

Ah, yes- streets paved with Gold and Land of Opportunity.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Dude, that's Philly bro, the city of brotherly love !

On a serious note the new Mayor is taking a much more pro-active role in addressing the Kensington issue. Time will tell if her efforts pay off. Overall she appears to be a more forceful and better leader than the weak kneed clown that preceded her.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis