Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I have a subscription, but I thought it would let you read several articles a month without a subscription.
One can disable JavaScript and use an adblocker. That usually works without a subscription.

Another is to google the article and access it from the search link.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Bring on the dark money!

>>>A New York Times analysis reveals how the left outdid the right at raising and spending millions from undisclosed donors to defeat Donald Trump and win power in Washington. . . . The findings reveal the growth and ascendancy of a shadow political infrastructure that is reshaping American politics, as megadonors to these nonprofits take advantage of loose disclosure laws to make multimillion-dollar outlays in total secrecy.<<<

So, would you call it hypocrisy, or beating them at their own game?

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
So, would you call it hypocrisy, or beating them at their own game?
It could be some of both I guess. In my opinion the "h" word is overused as a quick and easy "gotcha" and it typically doesn't really provide much insight into the substantive issues.

My primary concern is that the use of dark money channels appears to make it easier for foreign entities to influence the elections in the U.S. It's not difficult to imagine a foreign entity sending a not so subtle message to an elected official "If you don't back arms sales to country X, you'll get hit with millions of $ worth of negative ads in the next election cycle." (or some other such influence)

I'll concede that I have not investigated the legal issues in detail, but the government should be able to regulate foreign money without running afoul of the First Amendment concerns underlying the Citizens United decision (i.e. I can't see how foreign entities have a First Amendment right to express political speech in U.S. elections).

What is the law in Canada with regards to campaign contributions, political ads, etc.?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
BTW, how do you read this without the subscription banner popping up?
Here you go: go to browser settings, cookies and site permission, find Java script and turn it off before clicking link.

ps. make a note of this on your cell phone ;) I have a few such how to...

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
It could be some of both I guess. In my opinion the "h" word is overused as a quick and easy "gotcha" and it typically doesn't really provide much insight into the substantive issues.

My primary concern is that the use of dark money channels appears to make it easier for foreign entities to influence the elections in the U.S. It's not difficult to imagine a foreign entity sending a not so subtle message to an elected official "If you don't back arms sales to country X, you'll get hit with millions of $ worth of negative ads in the next election cycle." (or some other such influence)

I'll concede that I have not investigated the legal issues in detail, but the government should be able to regulate foreign money without running afoul of the First Amendment concerns underlying the Citizens United decision (i.e. I can't see how foreign entities have a First Amendment right to express political speech in U.S. elections).

What is the law in Canada with regards to campaign contributions, political ads, etc.?
The question of foreign interference isn't just a concern for the US. We have our own, as well.

I don't know all the rules surrounding party fundraising and election expenses. But, as far as I know, only individuals are permitted to contribute to political parties. Parties also receive public subsidies, based on previous election results. The idea being to minimize the influence of large organizations like unions and corporations. That said, some have tried to game the system by giving family members, friends and employees funds and having them make donations far in excess of the individual limit.

Federal political financing in Canada - Wikipedia

There's no perfect way to make party and campaign financing rules "fair", as fairness is in the eye of the beholder. I think the most important measure is transparency - who is donating how much to what party or candidate - with an eye to cui bono.

PAC's are relatively recent creations in Canada and their influence is far more limited than you would experience in the US. While political financing and spending in Canada has been steadily increasing, it is a laughable pittance compared with the US, even in relative terms. I'm not saying one system is better than the other, just different. A major difference is that it seems everyone is in permanent campaign mode in the US, which has to be exhausting for participants and the general public alike. That hasn't been the pattern here. Generally, you don't see or hear much political advertising in Canada until "the writ is dropped", i.e. an election is called, although the current leader of the Conservative Party is departing from past practice and is putting out ads, making speeches and staging rallies almost continuously.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Holy Freakin' Moley !!!!
You think he would learn to shut his mouth , but noooooooo......Goodbye Mar a Lago, Trump Tower and so on..
(just wait until the other judgement rolls in before the end of the month)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Holy Freakin' Moley !!!!
You think he would learn to shut his mouth , but noooooooo......Goodbye Mar a Lago, Trump Tower and so on..
(just wait until the other judgement rolls in before the end of the month)

Unfortunately doubt $83M will do it.....is there an order for immediate payment, tho? What is the other judgement upcoming?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
What is the other judgement upcoming?
Waiting on the damages amount from the Trump/Org hearings....the judge said he will rule before the end of Jan.
370 million is the amount asked for...wouldn't be surprised if he awards all of it.
The two combined is what will break him...hoping for immediate payment. !!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Waiting on the damages amount from the Trump/Org hearings....the judge said he will rule before the end of Jan.
370 million is the amount asked for...wouldn't be surprised if he awards all of it.
The two combined is what will break him...hoping for immediate payment. !!
LOL yeah forgot about that one....there are so many against this stable genius! :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL yeah forgot about that one....there are so many against this stable genius! :)
Of course if one believes his valuation back in the 16 campaign he was worth more than $10B.....rather than him scraping to achieve a $2.5B valuation for loans.....and that's probably an exaggeration just as he used to phone into financial reporters doing "billionaire" lists....

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
It's still LOL....

These Trump haters.
He's such a nice guy. :)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Oh this is a good one, todays news " Fox News host Sean Hannity on Tuesday issued a warning to Grammy Award-winning pop superstar Taylor Swift, telling her to ‘think twice’ before endorsing President Joe Biden’s campaign"

Last I heard this is a free country, unless they feel she has pull. The demographics: Who's a Swiftie? Most of Swift's fans (41%) are in the 18- to 24-year-old Gen Z group. 78% are in the larger 18–34 age group. Lot of voters in there, if they vote.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Oh this is a good one, todays news " Fox News host Sean Hannity on Tuesday issued a warning to Grammy Award-winning pop superstar Taylor Swift, telling her to ‘think twice’ before endorsing President Joe Biden’s campaign"

Last I heard this is a free country, unless they feel she has pull. The demographics: Who's a Swiftie? Most of Swift's fans (41%) are in the 18- to 24-year-old Gen Z group. 78% are in the larger 18–34 age group. Lot of voters in there, if they vote.
Swifties, OMG, what a collective group of misfits. Saw an interview of a handful of that generation, couldn't even identify what 'country' Mt Rushmore is in ??? !!!!!!

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Thats why Hannity saiid it. (Let's be honest. It's a threat.)

BTW, have not heard from Hannity lately, so it's good to know he's spoken in the lowest way possible (again).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis