SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
A very interesting thread. Not exactly a fan of the article, but that would be rather predictable.
Personal disclosure, my perspective, for what it's worth, comes from being raised a Catholic with Jewish family roots many generations ago (Latin European history is a bit complex). I married into a Jewish family, have a complete disrespect of the Catholic Church but at the same time a respect of the impact of Judeo-Christian thinking on human history. Belief in a God, yes, but as Woody Allen has said, "God and I have an understanding, I am his loyal opposition". All a bit twisted, but makes for stimulating discussions at family parties.

Jewish and Christian history is a rather complex one but not as bloody as portrayed by "revisionist historians" over the last 40 years. Some perspective on how history has been distorted: By pure "body count", the largest killers of Jews over the last 1,400 years have been Hitler, Stalin (both atheists), Russian Czars, and Islam. These 4 are well into the millions. The Inquisition, which is usually singled out as the biggest Christian murder of Jews by body count has a range of 75,000 up to 250,000. The Rhineland Massacre at the beginning of the first Crusade numbered anywhere from 5 to 25,000. Perspective is important.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Why don't you guys create your own thread please.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan

I thought this one really was the springboard to the Trump era. There's just enough truth to it, and he does acknowledge some of them are good people but is more an after thought. He's planting the seeds of fear/hate. I'm more inclined to think this due to the company he keeps: the alt-right.

Another one was the report from the Michael Medved Show in 2016 from a psychologist guest that said voters are experiencing unusually high levels of stress/depression. Unless that was caused by Hillary, I can only think of one person who did that.

Last edited:
D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
This is another favorite I think from Quora as a metaphor for his win, and loss.....

I wouldn’t want Trump as a neighbor any more than you would. He’d be the loud guy in the Hawaiian shirt who has an opinion on everything. However, that should not detract from his efficiency on the job or his being there in a neighborhood emergency. Trump was loud, opinionated and aggressive before he became president, but then, so was LBJ, architect of the Great Society, which liberal Democrats revere. There seems to be a double standard here."

Your argument is meaningless.
You don’t want the loud-mouth guy, in the Hawaiian shirt, who can’t keep his own countenance, as a neighbor, but you think this is the guy who should run the country. That is the inherent problem.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

I thought this one really was the springboard to the Trump era. There's just enough truth to it, and he does acknowledge some of them are good people but is more an after thought. He's planting the seeds of fear/hate. I'm more inclined to think this due to the company he keeps: the alt-right.

Another one was the report from the Michael Medved Show in 2016 from a psychologist guest that said voters are experiencing unusually high levels of stress/depression. Unless that was caused by Hillary, I can only think of one person who did that.
Hillary is a hateful person. Trumpo is unable to control his cake hole but then, Biden is no better at that and if Putin were to take Biden's comment about "He can't be allowed to remain in power" seriously, it could mean another war for the US- something Trump never did.

You really can't see what the Left is doing, can you? You need to look at WHO is coming across the border- fairly well-dressed people from countries that don't take care of their own, carrying cell phones that are expensive and if you watch the videos from MSM, just about EVERYONE has a cell phone.

I don't want immigration stopped, but I do think people need to be vetted and checked for diseases. Nobody wants to let random people into their own homes, when the"guests" may be sick and might want to take advantage of their hosts in a bad way. Why are all other countries allowed to enforce their border laws, but the US has to let everyone pass? It'snot because we're the richest country, because we AREN'T.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Jewish and Christian history is a rather complex one but not as bloody as portrayed by "revisionist historians" over the last 40 years.
This is exactly why they call this "apologetics". Even if it's only a fraction as bloody as anyone thinks, it's still too much. Christianity is based on blood magic human sacrifice!
By pure "body count", the largest killers of Jews over the last 1,400 years have been Hitler, Stalin (both atheists), Russian Czars, and Islam
I thought I'd read that Hitler admitted to being a christian... either way its irrelevant.

Atheism is not a world view, dogma or way of life. It's a response to a singular claim, and that response is "I'm not convinced that's true". Anything above and beyond that has nothing to do with being an atheist. I personally identify as a secular humanist first. My atheism has nothing to do with how I view or treat others. That's the humanist in me. None of those guys you mentioned were humanists, clearly.

"Without religion, good people will do good things and bad people will do bad things, but it takes something like religion to get good people to do bad things..."
Why don't you guys create your own thread please.
Aight man, I'll stop. I actually am considering starting a thread but it could turn into a dumpster fire so I hesitate... lol.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

This is exactly why they call this "apologetics". Even if it's only a fraction as bloody as anyone thinks, it's still too much. Christianity is based on blood magic human sacrifice!

I thought I'd read that Hitler admitted to being a christian... either way its irrelevant.

Atheism is not a world view, dogma or way of life. It's a response to a singular claim, and that response is "I'm not convinced that's true". Anything above and beyond that has nothing to do with being an atheist. I personally identify as a secular humanist first. My atheism has nothing to do with how I view or treat others. That's the humanist in me. None of those guys you mentioned were humanists, clearly.

"Without religion, good people will do good things and bad people will do bad things, but it takes something like religion to get good people to do bad things..."

Aight man, I'll stop. I actually am considering starting a thread but it could turn into a dumpster fire so I hesitate... lol.
Aren't "I'm not convinced" and "I'm not sure" the stance taken by agnostics? I thought atheism used a hard "No god" as their basis.

Ever hear Ricky Gervais talk about atheism? When he discusses this with believers, he says "You don't believe in roughly 4200 gods, I only don't believe in one".

A long time ago when people weren't deep thinkers, it was easier to control them using Heaven & Hell. At this point in our history, it seems that people don't care about any religious thoughts of a penalty for violating the commandments and criminal laws don't even apply to them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
"I'm not convinced" and "I'm not sure" the stance taken by agnostics? I thought atheism used a hard "No god" as their basis.
Agnosticism and gnosticism address knowledge claims and atheism addresses belief. Belief is a subset of knowledge tho so they are somewhat entwined. One can be a hard, or agnostic atheist (no gods exist) or a soft atheist (I'm unconvinced any gods exist). Either way "atheist" addresses belief. If you're unconvinced then you do not believe and are an atheist.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ever hear Ricky Gervais talk about atheism? When he discusses this with believers, he says "You don't believe in roughly 4200 gods, I only don't believe in one".
Exactly. EVERYONE is an atheist with respect to all of the possible gods that have been proposed. I just go one god further.

I love Ricky Gervais.

*Edit: fun fact. Atheist was what the Romans called the first Christians...

highfigh

highfigh

Exactly. EVERYONE is an atheist with respect to all of the possible gods that have been proposed. I just go one god further.

I love Ricky Gervais.

*Edit: fun fact. Atheist was what the Romans called the first Christians...
Wait, are you saying that Ricky Gervais is god?

Wouldn't that be ironic?

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General

Quick clarification for Pogre and I promise to honor the thread topic.
I guess I would identify as a humanist but Christian influenced. By that, I would mean, original Christian philosophy. There is one main commandment that I think makes the best sense to me and I think it would make the world a better place if followed: "love thy neighbor as you love yourself". Similar commandants to that are found in many religions including Confucianism. George Carlin had it down to two, "do not kill and do not steal". Can't help what happens to any religion or idea or dogma when "man" who is prone to corruption touches it and uses it for selfish purposes. Original Christianity was doomed the second Constantine Romanised it the the 3rd century.

Don't know if Jesus was the son of God. From my own interpretation after studying the gospels (without priestly interpretation) is he was a deep thinker and did many good things. This is especially true for women who were treated like property by most of the other religions and societies as of year 1 AD. I guess if I'm wrong after I pass on, I would hope he would forgive me like he did doubting Thomas. Anyway, back to Trump.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Quick clarification for Pogre and I promise to honor the thread topic.
I guess I would identify as a humanist but Christian influenced. By that, I would mean, original Christian philosophy. There is one main commandment that I think makes the best sense to me and I think it would make the world a better place if followed: "love thy neighbor as you love yourself". Similar commandants to that are found in many religions including Confucianism. George Carlin had it down to two, "do not kill and do not steal". Can't help what happens to any religion or idea or dogma when "man" who is prone to corruption touches it and uses it for selfish purposes. Original Christianity was doomed the second Constantine Romanised it the the 3rd century.

Don't know if Jesus was the son of God. From my own interpretation after studying the gospels (without priestly interpretation) is he was a deep thinker and did many good things. This is especially true for women who were treated like property by most of the other religions and societies as of year 1 AD. I guess if I'm wrong after I pass on, I would hope he would forgive me like he did doubting Thomas. Anyway, back to Trump.
I just want to say I think this is a thoughtful, honest reply and I appreciate the response.

My apologies @Dude#1279435, I moved it to pm if SithZedi wishes to continue the conversation elsewhere.

Carry on Trumpers! Lol

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Never Trumpers were Republicans (or independents), in case there was confusion by that.

Another low was Trump saying he'd go after his daughter if he weren't her father.

I like the guy on YT: How can you say that about him??? Look at all he's done for this country!!! Uh cause he's he's a dickhead and doesn't shut up?

Yanno, I'm starting to believe them (referring to the liberal media on Trump's behavior). Then another said, What took you so long? Hahaha. This was at around the two year mark when fake news and deep state started to wear out its welcome.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan

unless I'm wrong I believe he's speaking of the 'illegals' and yes I hate them just as much as the bastard politicians that have no balls to stop it !!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis