D

David_Alexander

Audioholic Intern
The Republican party has changed, for the worse, since the Trump takeover, and I for sure understand that real conservatives don't feel at home there any more.

As for conservative media in US, I don't follow that much, but there is TheBulwark with a conservative staff that is not that happy with the current GOP. They ain't happy with Trump, I can tell you that!

I posted those elsewhere but Trump and his grip on the GOP is like Big Brother in the George Orwell novel 1984 and the imposition of Newspeak.

Specifically blackwhite:

blackwhite — to accept whatever one is told, regardless of the facts. In the novel, it is described as "to say that black is white when [the Party says so]" and "to believe that black is white, and more, to know that black is white, and to forget that one has ever believed the contrary".

So when Trump calls out traditional Republicans with time honoured Republican ideals as RINO's, the Republican bloc seem to fall into line. They also erase the memory of these ideals and kneel down to Trump.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
I posted those elsewhere but Trump and his grip on the GOP is like Big Brother in the George Orwell novel 1984 and the imposition of Newspeak.

Specifically blackwhite:

blackwhite — to accept whatever one is told, regardless of the facts. In the novel, it is described as "to say that black is white when [the Party says so]" and "to believe that black is white, and more, to know that black is white, and to forget that one has ever believed the contrary".

So when Trump calls out traditional Republicans with time honoured Republican ideals as RINO's, the Republican bloc seem to fall into line. They also erase the memory of these ideals and kneel down to Trump.
It's really sad what has happened to the GOP. Lindsey Graham said it best before the 2016 election. If we elect Trump, he will destroy our party, and we will deserve it. How right he was. And now he bows down to the orange buffoon like all the rest of the MAGA Republicans. So sad.

D

David_Alexander

Audioholic Intern
It's really sad what has happened to the GOP. Lindsey Graham said it best before the 2016 election. If we elect Trump, he will destroy our party, and we will deserve it. How right he was. And now he bows down to the orange buffoon like all the rest of the MAGA Republicans. So sad.
I can envisage a time when the two of us are coincidentally say, next to each other by a bar.

One of us orders a long forgotten/proscribed bourbon from a dust laden bottle behind the bar.

The other, both in hope and in fear of what may transpire if he's picked up the wrong signal, says:

"Do you remember a time before all of this?"

Well that's how old time Republicans are talking now.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
In retrospect Graham is a morally hollow man that had McCain as a moral compass, so when McCain died he was unable to fill that hollow on his own. He chose Trump, and I’m sure that McCain is rolling in his grave.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
In retrospect Graham is a morally hollow man that had McCain as a moral compass, so when McCain died he was unable to fill that hollow on his own. He chose Trump, and I’m sure that McCain is rolling in his grave.
Agreed. And he used to be friends with Biden. He truly has lost his way. :(

D

David_Alexander

Audioholic Intern
There’s a glimmer of hope in that Graham is a consistently strong supporter of Ukraine.
Trump could literally stop the funding of the Ukrainian war effort with an executive order and he'll be praised for it by his followers.

Lindsay Graham notwithstanding.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
It would be interesting to compare the time lines of other countries, from the beginning of their democracy to now- the US isn't even 250 years old and the saying about the life of the typical world power lasting approximately that long may be interesting from a distance, but I'm not excited about the prospect of the form of government in this country being changed drastically, in a short time. If there was one country to use as THE model, maybe but with all of the problems in most countries, there isn't one.
Agree!!!

However, I am not confident that we are looking at a linear process where a country is getting better and better, I am not sure US, UK, France is improving, maybe even going backwards.
UK is turning into political havoc after Brexit, My French friends are pulling their hair out as there is an insane political instability and God knows what happens to the country
US seem to go the wrong way where, as we discussed, turning more into me, me me..... is it all about what can I get, and not about what can I do to make US better

I think maybe the process of democracy is educating of the general population to understand the duties and responsibilities of what is a democracy, it is not about people being able to vote but about people being clever enough to vote and make the votes for what is best for the country at large .....

A lot of people seem to think only how much money they can get into their pocket, not understanding that to get more money into the pocket, they need to build the country, make the country more productive, drive innovation at large, do really hard work, the only way to get more is to work hard; IMHO democracy is about people making the choices to do these things I mentioned here, not which president will give me more money into my bank account.

A president does not make a country great, a president can enable the conditions for the population to work hard, create things, do great things to build the country with hard work, laziness will kill the country.

An example of this was a national referendum in Switzerland a decade ago about the choice if they should reduce working hours. There was a referendum and large majority of votes was for NO. The reasoning was that people were afraid that this would make Switzerland less competitive at a global scale. Here, the population set the future of the country, the efficiency of the corporations, above their own short-sighted well being of being lazy. I think this is a decent example of democracy and people doing their job making the right choice. If there were some referendum like this in the US, I am not confident what would come out of it.

But, let's turn members of one political party against the other party, as a form of entertainment. What's the worst that could happen?

Washington Post and others are comparing the TV ratings- and I thought it was about content.......

"Democratic convention beat RNC in TV ratings, despite some late nights"

Yeah, is the political campaigns turning into entertainment, if ratings are what counts, where the heck are we going here
So are important speeches and discussions on people´s future and the future of the country turning into Superbowl like entertainment where ratings are driving the shows, scary, scary

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe the most scary thing about Trump is that he has zero faith in Science!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I think there should be more fairness...... if you look at the American dream, isn´t that all about you can get anything you want as long as you work hard for it, Meaning: You are rewarded for the hard work you do.

Tax system over here to some degree penalises those working hard by an excessive tax on that extra bonus or additional paychecks..... things could be more fair
In many cases, it's true, although having connections helps, a lot. OTOH, some people think they exist only to get in the way of others who are trying to do something and a large part of succeeding has to do with making these connections along the way. Obviously, being born into a wealthy family doesn't hurt, but even then, some don't want to use what comes along with that, some fail even with the free money and some just can't get out of their own way.

Expectations need to be managed- I have read comments from people who came here recently (the past 20 years) and they're confused because they haven't been able to get very far, even though they heard the 'streets are paved with gold' and 'you can be anything' comments. I also know immigrants who left places like Mexico because they had no opportunities, at all. One worked for a landscaper and when I met him, he was in his middle-40s. He didn't read or write and had never come to school because his village didn't have any. I know someone else who, in her words, "I came here just so I could work". She doesn't read or write very well, either- same reason. What she has learned happened after she came here.

The problem I have with many who were born here- they achieve nothing and complain about it, even though school is free if they would just go and try to learn, but many say "There's nothing for me there", "I hate school", etc. That leaves them with few options. OTOH, people from other countries come with the clothes they're wearing and a few dollars, find a place to stay with family/friends and the first thing they do is get a job working for someone who speaks the same language. They gradually learn English (from those people or a program for English as a second language) and pretty soon, they save enough money to find a different place, learn to drive (legally, or illegally) and if they avoid criminal activity (this is a very real problem), they can drive farther for better jobs.

One way for them to advance further is to learn to do something well and start a business serving their own people. I see lots of people from other countries with small shops, driving trucks with their own name, landscaping companies, construction etc- these tend to be more Hispanic people but the small shops are often owned by Russian and Eastern European people and those are frequently technical businesses, like computer/handheld repairs or tailors/shoe repair, auto salvage, scrapyards, retail. I know one Russian woman who rented a corner in a computer store, repairing smart phones, selling accessories and parts. The manager of the store is from Ukraine and IIRC, she had gone there because she knew this, but she had an idea and he helped make it happen. Eventually, she got her real estate license, bought a building with apartments above the first floor and opened a store selling healthy pet foods and supplies.

By education in USSR/Russia, she was a mechanical engineer but when she came to the US, she couldn't get a job in engineering because they said she needed a diploma from an American school. I'm not sure I buy that, I think she may have hit too many dead ends and people who didn't want to let her test for the material at a college- if you know this material, it doesn't matter which language is used or where it was learned- the concepts and formulae are the same.

Your last paragraph is exactly the reason we don't want to be taxed heavily but it also has to do with the huge population here- it's a lot easier to support a small number than literally millions. If the link is accurate, Norway has 123K unemployed- Chicago, Illinois has about 100K and that's just one city. (second link)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The Republican party has changed, for the worse, since the Trump takeover, and I for sure understand that real conservatives don't feel at home there any more.

As for conservative media in US, I don't follow that much, but there is TheBulwark with a conservative staff that is not that happy with the current GOP. They ain't happy with Trump, I can tell you that!

It's not only since Trump, but he really is good at making people twitch, either for or against what he says. Many people have been drifting away from the Republicans, but that doesn't mean they're drifting toward the Democrat side, either- many are looking for something in the middle and finding that there's not much for them.

If we could find people who wouldn't go into la-la land after they enter the campaign, we might be able to have a viable third party but they ALWAYS veer into some weird thinking, then they lose their audience.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Thats classic. I love seeing Bannon in a prison jumpsuit. :)
I guess you’ll enjoy this article. :D

>>>NEW YORK, Aug 23 (Reuters) - Former Donald Trump advisor Steve Bannon must face trial in New York on criminal-fraud charges over a push to fund the former U.S. president's signature wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, a judge ruled on Friday.

Justice April Newbauer's decision to deny Bannon's motion to dismiss the charges paves the way for a trial set to start on Dec. 9, just six weeks after he is scheduled to be released from federal prison. …<<<

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for sharing. I guess he will have to line up some more guest hosts for his War Room podcast. Bobert and Marge might need some gainful employment soon.:)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
In many cases, it's true, although having connections helps, a lot. OTOH, some people think they exist only to get in the way of others who are trying to do something and a large part of succeeding has to do with making these connections along the way. Obviously, being born into a wealthy family doesn't hurt, but even then, some don't want to use what comes along with that, some fail even with the free money and some just can't get out of their own way.

Expectations need to be managed- I have read comments from people who came here recently (the past 20 years) and they're confused because they haven't been able to get very far, even though they heard the 'streets are paved with gold' and 'you can be anything' comments. I also know immigrants who left places like Mexico because they had no opportunities, at all. One worked for a landscaper and when I met him, he was in his middle-40s. He didn't read or write and had never come to school because his village didn't have any. I know someone else who, in her words, "I came here just so I could work". She doesn't read or write very well, either- same reason. What she has learned happened after she came here.

The problem I have with many who were born here- they achieve nothing and complain about it, even though school is free if they would just go and try to learn, but many say "There's nothing for me there", "I hate school", etc. That leaves them with few options. OTOH, people from other countries come with the clothes they're wearing and a few dollars, find a place to stay with family/friends and the first thing they do is get a job working for someone who speaks the same language. They gradually learn English (from those people or a program for English as a second language) and pretty soon, they save enough money to find a different place, learn to drive (legally, or illegally) and if they avoid criminal activity (this is a very real problem), they can drive farther for better jobs.

One way for them to advance further is to learn to do something well and start a business serving their own people. I see lots of people from other countries with small shops, driving trucks with their own name, landscaping companies, construction etc- these tend to be more Hispanic people but the small shops are often owned by Russian and Eastern European people and those are frequently technical businesses, like computer/handheld repairs or tailors/shoe repair, auto salvage, scrapyards, retail. I know one Russian woman who rented a corner in a computer store, repairing smart phones, selling accessories and parts. The manager of the store is from Ukraine and IIRC, she had gone there because she knew this, but she had an idea and he helped make it happen. Eventually, she got her real estate license, bought a building with apartments above the first floor and opened a store selling healthy pet foods and supplies.

By education in USSR/Russia, she was a mechanical engineer but when she came to the US, she couldn't get a job in engineering because they said she needed a diploma from an American school. I'm not sure I buy that, I think she may have hit too many dead ends and people who didn't want to let her test for the material at a college- if you know this material, it doesn't matter which language is used or where it was learned- the concepts and formulae are the same.

Your last paragraph is exactly the reason we don't want to be taxed heavily but it also has to do with the huge population here- it's a lot easier to support a small number than literally millions. If the link is accurate, Norway has 123K unemployed- Chicago, Illinois has about 100K and that's just one city. (second link)

Thanks dor sharing this ... a lot to read and think about here .... I do need some time to think about this :)

Interesting read ...... it sounds from your post that there are people trying to go to Avalon, the land of the dreams where all their wishes will be fulfilled, and they don´t have or want to build the the skills or the wish to make themselves attractive to the job market. There is only one way to get on.... work like hell and make sure you are attractive; Seems like many people don´t wanna do this, WOW.... that are losers not going to help build the country!

And then you point to people coming with nothing, they find their way, the manage to get jobs, don´t complain, don´t blame anyone else..... these are the people that can make US into a great country again, these are the people who build great companies. Many of them are immigrants, coming to the US to just, get on with it and build something :cool:

I agree... I think that heavy taxation os wrong and probably not fair .... we could do the same by having way lover taxes and make it more even and maybe flat rate

Late nite evening here now ... need to close down now :cool:

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Think about the Ukrainian engineers from Motor Sich company in Zaporizhzhia in Ukraine ...... I been there, there is a museum; The Antonov An-225 Mriya is powered by six Ivchenko Progress Lotarev D-18T, three shaft turbofan engines, each of which can produce a maximum thrust of 229.5 kN. That plane has lifting capacities that dwarfs what Boeing, Lockheed Martin and McDonnell Douglas ever did.... and those guys did that starting in the 1970´s .... 1980´s

for comparison, the Pratt & Whitney PW4000 engines for the Boeing 777 has a max thrust of 266 kN and there is only two engines,. The General Electric GE90 is way more powerful exceeding 500 kN but now we are talking designs many decades newer .....

Sorry derailing...... not so much about Trump o_O

Last edited:
T

trochetier

Audioholic
IMHO, one of the main reasons we are here now is because politicians in the west did not dare to act, including Obama….. ruzzia should have been stopped in 2014 when invading Donbas and Krimea, but we were all too coward.

we would not have had the full scale war, insane suffering and crazy economics that come with this. The only way to stop putler is by brute force. The west did not seem to not fully comprehend this or we gave in to his terror politics!

Certainly, Biden does not seem to have the guts to stop putler.
It also seemingly is being said inside the White House that US should not support Ukraine so much that they win the war.... as long as we do have war, I think there will also be this crazy economics.

Not so simple but I think precondition for getting back to somewhat normal is at least to end the insane current wars
Supplying more and more weapons will NOT stop wars. Worse yet supplying weapons with borrowed money and leaving the debt to future generations is downright stupid.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis