Z

zrxmike

Enthusiast
I have owned a Samsung 800 series plasma for the last 8 years. Recently I purchased a LG 65" GXOLED.
To my eyes, there is simply no comparison as the OLED blows my plasma up. I can't imagine a better picture on a tv than the LG. If you could take the best plasma tv, make it 4K resolution, make it brighter, take its already good black levels and make them even better...then you would have a picture the quality of the OLED. In addition, most will be quite happy with the picture straight out of the box with minimal adjustment.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have owned a Samsung 800 series plasma for the last 8 years. Recently I purchased a LG 65" GXOLED.
To my eyes, there is simply no comparison as the OLED blows my plasma up. I can't imagine a better picture on a tv than the LG. If you could take the best plasma tv, make it 4K resolution, make it brighter, take its already good black levels and make them even better...then you would have a picture the quality of the OLED. In addition, most will be quite happy with the picture straight out of the box with minimal adjustment.
Be sure to turn off that motion smoothing!

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Once LG OLED solves the black crush issue and improves near black performance I might be with you. My Kuro still better than OLED in those areas.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Why are there no qoled TVs is whats a quantum dot help with ,? Aren’t oled better then qled???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z

zrxmike

Enthusiast
Once LG OLED solves the black crush issue and improves near black performance I might be with you. My Kuro still better than OLED in those areas.
On my set, black crush is only a problem with low quality source material. Since I watch very little of that it does not concern me. Besides, its not like plasma doesn't have it's own inherent issue's. Mine has a beautiful 1080P picture in a dark room but in a bright room it sucks. To me, plasma is not even in the same ballpark.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
On my set, black crush is only a problem with low quality source material. Since I watch very little of that it does not concern me. Besides, its not like plasma doesn't have it's own inherent issue's. Mine has a beautiful 1080P picture in a dark room but in a bright room it sucks. To me, plasma is not even in the same ballpark.
Just curious - what size was your Samsung plasma?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Yeah, plasma is pretty bad in a bright room.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Yea, once you go OLED there's no going back. I have a 77 Sony A9G, and don't miss plasma. My 4K UHD collection is up to 400 soon:)

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Kinda in the same boat, My Pany Plasma TX-P60ZT65B is still going strong, knocking on wood, NO issues at all. But a person kinda wants to stay somewhat current at least in one room. So just researching before I put some $$$ down. https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/qled-vs-oled-tv/
You would have to get a top-level OLED to make you want not to watch your Panny. BTW, Panasonic OLEDs are coming to the USA. Value Electronics in New York is the official first authorized dealer in the USA.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I think, at this point, I'm sticking with my Panny Plasma until QNED is within a reasonable price range. It's right around the corner and should sidestep the OLED issues like burn-in and lower peak brightness. I'll continue to monitor [NPI] the situation but that's my opinion for now.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I think, at this point, I'm sticking with my Panny Plasma until QNED is within a reasonable price range. It's right around the corner and should sidestep the OLED issues like burn-in and lower peak brightness. I'll continue to monitor [NPI] the situation but that's my opinion for now.
Qned probably few years away ??
This thing look epic
Better then qled probably not oled
Lot of money for a tcl tho

Micro led probably never be affordable
These are like oled no burn in

Oled + quantum ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'm still holding on to my old Panasonic Plasma for now, but that is not an option for most.
I'm no longer holding on to my nine year old Panasonic VT30 42" plasma as I've bought a LG OLED CX 55" at a good price: The motion so far seems on par with with my old plasma, or at least it is not distracting/disturbing as some earlier LG OLED models I checked out a few years ago. Black levels, contrast and brightness is far superior, no surprise there, at least for my sample where black was more like dark grey.

After a few hours I'm quite satisfied with the LG looking at various 1080p (and lower) real content, though I've not yet looked at various grey images to search for faults. There is no fan, or at least a very silent one, in contrast to my Panasonic that could be heard clearly when listening at low levels.

My wife is happy too, which, of course, is a big plus :D

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I'm no longer holding on to my nine year old Panasonic VT30 42" plasma as I've bought a LG OLED CX 55" at a good price: The motion so far seems on par with with my old plasma, or at least it is not distracting/disturbing as some earlier LG OLED models I checked out a few years ago. Black levels, contrast and brightness is far superior, no surprise there, at least for my sample where black was more like dark grey.

After a few hours I'm quite satisfied with the LG looking at various 1080p (and lower) real content, though I've not yet looked at various grey images to search for faults. There is no fan, or at least a very silent one, in contrast to my Panasonic that could be heard clearly when listening at low levels.

Don't go looking for flaws, people that do that are silly.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you for your concern as this is a potential (no kidding :)) concern! For now I'm watching content and even upgraded Netflix to UHD and it looks great in DV! That said, HDMI and ARC is a pain in the a*ss with 2015 model Denon receiver and even my older set-top-box-thingy is messing stuff up.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Don't go looking for flaws, people that do that are silly.
Dude, I agree with you, but are you aware of which forum you posted to :D That said, I'm pretty silly, but you'll have to ask my wife for details though! Good luck!

T

TechToys2

Audioholic

Congrats on the new TV. I imagine that is a pretty big difference going from a 42" to a 55". I have an 8 year old 51" plasma and am trying to decide whether the upgrade to a 55" OLED is worth it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis