TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't think 'hate' is the right word. Image processing is a big deal, and some do it better than others. Likewise, you do get a lot of brightness which you don't get from plasma when you go to LCD. But, yes, it isn't plasma, so people have to be aware of the differences they will be buying into.

If you are using that plasma, mostly during the day, in a well lit room, there is a good argument to saying that plasma was a weak performer and a decent LCD will outperform because of the added brightness.

It's also unfair to call the best LCDs a 'big downgrade'. Their image is excellent, they just can't touch the black levels which OLED can reach. They can do a fair bit with brightness though and HDR isn't half bad on them when the room has a bit of light going into it.

Still, yes, OLED is king of raw image quality these days. If the goal is a one-for-one plasma replacement with a boost to 4K (or higher) image quality, then OLED is certainly the product for it.
I am yet to see a LED TV I could live with. The image is just is just too vivid with unnatural covers, no pastels at all. I hate bright screens. And yes, there is little to choose in the in the natural colors between our top line 65" Panny Plasma, our 55" Panny plasma and the LG OLED in the naturalness of the colors. If you get up close then the LD OLED has marginally better definition. All have good blacks. All I want from a screen is believable colors and no distortion. The very highest definition is not a big issue for me. 2K is perfectly good enough for me. Any 2k Plasma beats any LCD in my opinion.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Hi: Took the plunge today bought this TV below: Not a gamer so this was my choice!!Thanks for the help will report back after get it up & running late next week!!!

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sony-bravia-65-4k-uhd-hdr-oled-android-smart-tv-xbr65a8h/14547307
While there is ZERO question in my mind that you will be very happy with your purchase, I am interested in your thoughts on the direct comparison coming from a plasma and moving to OLED. The general thought is that it tends to be a very lateral shift from most people. Especially those coming from a VT series Panasonic or a Kuro display.

S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
While there is ZERO question in my mind that you will be very happy with your purchase, I am interested in your thoughts on the direct comparison coming from a plasma and moving to OLED. The general thought is that it tends to be a very lateral shift from most people. Especially those coming from a VT series Panasonic or a Kuro display.

Hi: Will let you know thinking will be a subtle upgrade not sure if will calibrate it right away???What is your thoughts on the K4 blu rays???Thinking for the sbig action flicks might be worth a flip otherwise not so much???Using a PS4 slim as player( I do play NHL games).Stay well & safe!!

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I have experienced none of these issues.
It's a fact that OLED crushes blacks and struggles with near black. No need to deny it. That would be like denying that LED doesn't struggle with, blooming, DSE, viewing angles.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I’m struggling to give a s#%t about this thread anymore. Buy the TV you like and keep it yourself so some d#%k doesn’t tell you it sucks.:p

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Speaking from experience, having both of those plasmas you mentioned above, the OLED would represent a more natural transition. However, OLED still has not exceeded those plasmas in near black performance and motion, which is a critical issue to me.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
I was going to post a similar question, so this thread is very timely for me. I'm interested to hear the OP's thoughts after set up.

I have a 51 inch Samsung plasma that I purchased at the end of 2012. I just purchased a new receiver and have been thinking about a TV "upgrade" for what I thought might be benefits of 4K and HDR.

Size-wise, I would like to get a larger set, but I'm not sure how much larger we could go than around 55 inches or so given the space. Possibly 65 inches, but that would really be pushing it and the TV would need to be wall mounted which would push it back around 15 inches. Currently we sit around 8 1/2 - 9 feet from the set.

We watch TV/movies primarily after dark (and mostly using streaming services), so it sounds like OLED is the way to go, but are people saying that there really wouldn't be a big difference over my 8 year-old plasma even given 4K and HDR advances?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I have a 51 inch 2012 Samsung plasma as well. Still a great TV. I replaced it in the living room with a 75" LCD 4K TV from Samsung and am still at about nine feet from the screen. The new TV is no OLED by any means but I can tell you that the difference in watching 4K HDR material is quite a step up from the old TV. If you are going to watch movies in the dark, you would benefit from an OLED. They were just too pricey when I bought my current TV but I secretly hope it dies soon so I can justify an OLED purchase. But, if you are not going any bigger than 55", you may not see a difference that seems worth it to you but the much improved streaming abilities in a new TV would sweeten the pot.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I was going to post a similar question, so this thread is very timely for me. I'm interested to hear the OP's thoughts after set up.

I have a 51 inch Samsung plasma that I purchased at the end of 2012. I just purchased a new receiver and have been thinking about a TV "upgrade" for what I thought might be benefits of 4K and HDR.

Size-wise, I would like to get a larger set, but I'm not sure how much larger we could go than around 55 inches or so given the space. Possibly 65 inches, but that would really be pushing it and the TV would need to be wall mounted which would push it back around 15 inches. Currently we sit around 8 1/2 - 9 feet from the set.

We watch TV/movies primarily after dark (and mostly using streaming services), so it sounds like OLED is the way to go, but are people saying that there really wouldn't be a big difference over my 8 year-old plasma even given 4K and HDR advances?
There would be a big difference between an OLED set and your plasma. If you had a top end Panasonic or Kuro (Pioneer) then maybe not, but the Samsungs aren't at the same level.

If you can, go with OLED. It is the top performer when it comes to picture quality until something better comes out.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
I have a 51 inch 2012 Samsung plasma as well. Still a great TV. I replaced it in the living room with a 75" LCD 4K TV from Samsung and am still at about nine feet from the screen. The new TV is no OLED by any means but I can tell you that the difference in watching 4K HDR material is quite a step up from the old TV. If you are going to watch movies in the dark, you would benefit from an OLED. They were just too pricey when I bought my current TV but I secretly hope it dies soon so I can justify an OLED purchase. But, if you are not going any bigger than 55", you may not see a difference that seems worth it to you but the much improved streaming abilities in a new TV would sweeten the pot.
I think we would be fine in terms of distance to screen, but the wall the TV is on is a short (partial) wall and there are speakers on each side of the unit that the TV currently sits on (not to mention a light switch in a bad spot), so there isn't a ton of space.

I know exactly what you mean about secretly hoping it will die to justify the new purchase. If I had a spot in the house to move it, or even if I had a family member who would like it, I might be more inclined to make a purchase. But it still performs well, and I am having trouble convincing myself it is really time for it to go. The only thing that bothers me about it is that it has a slight buzz from the screen that is more noticeable on brighter scenes if it is quiet. Does yours do that? I remember there were a number of complaints about it when it first came out.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
No, mine never had the buzz, but it does have green speckles in the screen when on some picture modes. You can only see it if you are a few inches from the set. If you are use to Plasma, the "dirty screen" effect with an LCD may be an annoyance. I know I do not like it on my LCD after what was basically a perfectly even picture on my Plasma.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It's a fact that OLED crushes blacks and struggles with near black. No need to deny it. That would be like denying that LED doesn't struggle with, blooming, DSE, viewing angles.
There is actually not a ton of talk about this. There was a video I saw about LG out of the box needing some time to self-calibrate. There is also some talk about a firmware patch which fixed black crush as an issue.

There is little talk about actual black crush being a serious issue with OLED. Unlike blooming, which anyone can see rather easily on a regular basis.
There is also, apparently, a discussion on AVS about this being an issue and how it was resolved by LG.

OLED is capable of excellent black levels. The best since the best plasma displays. But, there is very little actual fact supporting black crush as an actual issue of the technology vs. an issue with a specific display/processing setup from the manufacturer.

There are tons of very high-level owners who would be complaining and this would be front level news and information.
Here's a great video that brings it up, discusses it, then talks about how the issue was entirely resolved by someone who does care a great deal about video quality:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Anything in the pipeline that would be worth waiting a while for?
Waiting isn't going to work considering there is ALWAYS something new around the corner, but this time I'd say no. Anything newer/better than OLED is still a bit out and very expensive.

That and you don't really ever want to buy the first gen of a new tech. I don't like to pay someone else to beta test their hardware/software. Just ask all the folks that bought 4K tv sets that only had HDMI 1.4. Sure, it can take that resolution, but no HDR or Dolby Vision and the refresh rate was limited.

Being an early adopter isn't usually a good idea. I can be, but not usually.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
There is actually not a ton of talk about this. There was a video I saw about LG out of the box needing some time to self-calibrate. There is also some talk about a firmware patch which fixed black crush as an issue.

There is little talk about actual black crush being a serious issue with OLED. Unlike blooming, which anyone can see rather easily on a regular basis.
There is also, apparently, a discussion on AVS about this being an issue and how it was resolved by LG.

OLED is capable of excellent black levels. The best since the best plasma displays. But, there is very little actual fact supporting black crush as an actual issue of the technology vs. an issue with a specific display/processing setup from the manufacturer.

There are tons of very high-level owners who would be complaining and this would be front level news and information.
Here's a great video that brings it up, discusses it, then talks about how the issue was entirely resolved by someone who does care a great deal about video quality:
Seems like auditor has some bias against OLED for some odd reason.

I will offer a first-hand experience on OLED vs. black levels and shadow details.

Remember one of the last episodes of Game of Thrones where the entire episode was very dark scenes, and so many viewers complained that they just could not see anything for the entire episode? Well, no complaints from me when viewing it on 65" LG OLED. Yes, it was dark, yes I could still see every bit of the action!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Waiting isn't going to work considering there is ALWAYS something new around the corner, but this time I'd say no. Anything newer/better than OLED is still a bit out and very expensive.

That and you don't really ever want to buy the first gen of a new tech. I don't like to pay someone else to beta test their hardware/software. Just ask all the folks that bought 4K tv sets that only had HDMI 1.4. Sure, it can take that resolution, but no HDR or Dolby Vision and the refresh rate was limited.

Being an early adopter isn't usually a good idea. I can be, but not usually.
Agreed, and to be fair, I also had a looooong wait until OLED became a viable option for me, the prices are finally getting to be almost reasonable. At the least, they got reasonable enough to convince the wifey that it was time to buy.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Agreed, and to be fair, I also had a looooong wait until OLED became a viable option for me, the prices are finally getting to be almost reasonable. At the least, they got reasonable enough to convince the wifey that it was time to buy.
There is still a bit of a premium, but honestly it's not that much if you're looking at a top tier LCD.

No, you aren't going to get a 55" OLED for $500 or whatever insane price the cheap LCDs go for, but people don't realize those cheap LCD tv's are probably using a very old panel someone found in a warehouse. Sure, they work, but PQ isn't going to be very good.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis