Official Yamaha RX-Z7 Receiver Review Thread

K

kriktsemaj99

Audioholic Intern
The Z7 service manual does not show a fan. The only recent model with fans is the Z11 as far as I know.

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
Hi Gene,
Would you say the Z7 is comparable to the Denon 5308?
I know the Denon is twice the price and it's THX Ultra certified and it has more HDMI inputs and Audyssey and such, but....
do you think sonically the two are in the same ballpark?
thx
geoh

D

davidmore

Enthusiast
HDMI, Oppo and Z7

All,

I have been using a Z7 for about 3 weeks. My main problem is that the HDMI output of the Oppo 953 will not pass through the Z7 as it used happily to do with the RX 9600. Going to 1080i output get me music and sound which is stable. Have V1.05 of the firmware - and have tried multiple good quality HDMI cables. Also have found I get some issue with Component to HDMI stability feeding from a cable box to both Panasonic AE200 and Pioneer 50 inch Plasma (current version - LX509).

Does anyone have any thoughts - or do I wait for new patch - not I am in Australia so not sure if models are identical.

Thanks

David.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hi Gene,
Would you say the Z7 is comparable to the Denon 5308?
I know the Denon is twice the price and it's THX Ultra certified and it has more HDMI inputs and Audyssey and such, but....
do you think sonically the two are in the same ballpark?
thx
geoh
I haven't compared side by side but I am pretty confident the sonic differences between the two would be minimal. The 5308 room correction system is much better though. If your on a budget and don't care too much about room correction stuff, I'd lean towards the Yamaha and add an Emotiva XPA-2 down the road if you need more power for your mains. If you just want the best 1 box solution right now regardless of price, I'd consider the Denon. .....

Of course the new Onkyos look killer too, need to check them out too :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
All,

I have been using a Z7 for about 3 weeks. My main problem is that the HDMI output of the Oppo 953 will not pass through the Z7 as it used happily to do with the RX 9600. Going to 1080i output get me music and sound which is stable. Have V1.05 of the firmware - and have tried multiple good quality HDMI cables. Also have found I get some issue with Component to HDMI stability feeding from a cable box to both Panasonic AE200 and Pioneer 50 inch Plasma (current version - LX509).

Does anyone have any thoughts - or do I wait for new patch - not I am in Australia so not sure if models are identical.

Thanks

David.
Try setting HDMI to HDMI to "Through" on the RX-Z7 and see if that fixes it. Also don't use 480i on your Oppo. I noticed when I use 480i on my Denon DVD player into the Z7, I sometimes get no picture. I believe its a microvision thing and I sent an email to Yamaha about it.

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
I haven't compared side by side but I am pretty confident the sonic differences between the two would be minimal. The 5308 room correction system is much better though. If your on a budget and don't care too much about room correction stuff, I'd lean towards the Yamaha and add an Emotiva XPA-2 down the road if you need more power for your mains. If you just want the best 1 box solution right now regardless of price, I'd consider the Denon. .....

Of course the new Onkyos look killer too, need to check them out too :)
Thanks for the great review..... as usual:)
The new Onkyos... your talking about the 906/876 right?

geoh

C

cdub

Junior Audioholic
When I was considering whether to return my Z7 within the 30-day window, I was going to get an Onkyo 905 to replace it - at least on paper it looks like a very solid receiver. I'm glad I kept the Z7, in no small part due to Gene's confidence in Yamaha's ability to rectify the HDMI issue, the SQ is just fantastic.

I would like to bi-amp my Axiom M80 mains, but I'm unwilling to give up my rear surrounds to do so, so I am going to jump on the Emotiva XPA-2 or XPA-3 while they are on sale. I wasn't going to worry about amping my center (Axiom VP150) but the XPA-3 is actually cheaper than the XPA-2 with the current sale prices so why not? The VP150 is rated for 400W @ 6 ohms so I shouldn't have to worry about it over driving it with the XPA-3 right?

Gene is there anything to be gained by driving just the M80's with the XPA-2 vs the XPA-3 driving the mains & center for movies and/or 2 ch music when using PLIIx Music mode? I turn my center down 4-5 db for 2 ch PLIIx Music playback anyway, but it might be too far off with an XPA-2 on just the mains?

Would I be risking over driving my M80's with an XPA-2 which is rated for 500W @ 4 ohms? I like to listen to LOUD music (105+ db) and my room is not fully enclosed.

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
When I was considering whether to return my Z7 within the 30-day window, I was going to get an Onkyo 905 to replace it - at least on paper it looks like a very solid receiver. I'm glad I kept the Z7, in no small part due to Gene's confidence in Yamaha's ability to rectify the HDMI issue, the SQ is just fantastic.

I would like to bi-amp my Axiom M80 mains, but I'm unwilling to give up my rear surrounds to do so, so I am going to jump on the Emotiva XPA-2 or XPA-3 while they are on sale. I wasn't going to worry about amping my center (Axiom VP150) but the XPA-3 is actually cheaper than the XPA-2 with the current sale prices so why not? The VP150 is rated for 400W @ 6 ohms so I shouldn't have to worry about it over driving it with the XPA-3 right?

Gene is there anything to be gained by driving just the M80's with the XPA-2 vs the XPA-3 driving the mains & center for movies and/or 2 ch music when using PLIIx Music mode? I turn my center down 4-5 db for 2 ch PLIIx Music playback anyway, but it might be too far off with an XPA-2 on just the mains?

Would I be risking over driving my M80's with an XPA-2 which is rated for 500W @ 4 ohms? I like to listen to LOUD music (105+ db) and my room is not fully enclosed.
I'm not Gene, obviously, but that XPA-3 is a killer deal! A friend of mine just received his and loves it!
btw how do you like your PC-13 Ultra.... I love mine!

geoh

F

fresno1232001

Enthusiast
Assorted questions re the RX-Z7

Gene- 1) I still need to hear if the RX-Z7 has a phono input and, if not, would it be easy to attach a phono pre-amp to the Z7, something I have never done with a receiver. I mean, the Z7 has the inputs to handle a phono pre-amp, right?

Also, 2) what about the RX-Z7's LFE adjustments? Please recall that I asked about that on AVR Forum in the Pioneer SC-07 thread when you reviewed the 07. I believe you said there that since the 07 only has a single -10dB adjustment for LFE, that users of the 07 should send audio into it from a player as bitstream, not PCM. Recall the sticky thread on AVR Forum a few years ago that listed the LFE adjustments on various receivers? Some had several different -db adjustments for LFE, some had only one, and at least one had none(!). What does the Z7 have? Is is necessary to send signals into it using bitstream too?

3) Would you say an A/V cooling fan lying on top of the Z7 would solve its heat issue if the receiver were sitting unobstructed on its own table?

4) One commentator in here somewhere said that a Yamaha RX-663 receiver plus an Emotiva LPA-1 amp would be an almost unbeatable package for $1,000 for those who don't need scaling or upconversion.

You yourself said here in response to a question about how the Z7 would compare to the Denon 5308 that the Z7 plus an Emo. XPA-2, (at 250 WPC X 2 ), would be a great combo. That Emo is one sale right now for $719.

Here is my question: What current Yamaha receiver would be IDEAL to pair with what current Emo amp? Would the Yammy Z7 with the Emo XPA-2 be as good as it gets? (I just read what Emo says on their site re the XPA-2. They say that when you add a big 2-channel amp to a multi-channel receiver to boost the front mains, you will hear the side speakers come to life too because the receiver now has more power to devote to the side-channel speakers). OR, would some lower numbered Yamaha paired with the Emo "big dog" MPS-2 at $1,699 be better? It is 200W x 7.

Would it make sense to pair the Z7 with the 7 channel MPS-2? I wouldn't think so since now ALL the amplification will be coming from the Emo amp and those in the receiver will be wasted, right? As you can tell, I am quite intrigued with buying a good receiver for its features and then pairing it with a big Emo amp for at least the front left and right main speakers.

Thank you for any response. L. in Fresno.

----------

R

robmet1015

Audiophyte
rx-z7 vs rx-v3900

Can anyone give some detail on the differences between the rx-z7 and the rx-v3900. I know the z7 has an extra hdmi on front panel, does audi to zone 4, extra usb, and an extra ir port.

I see they both do hdmi upconvert, both have neural thx, same power...blah blah blah.

So why should you/I pay an extra 500 - 600 bucks for the z7 over the 3900?

Are there hidden reasons that someone can elaborate on? Ok I know the z7 is newer, so I can see that for a reason...but there must be more.

Thanks.

Rob

K

kyeo138

Audiophyte
So why should you/I pay an extra 500 - 600 bucks for the z7 over the 3900?
I've been trying to figure that out for myself also. From what I've read, I think the Z7 has better quality internal electrical circuitry (power supply, heatsinks, etc...) even though they use the same processors. If anyone has better info I'd like to hear it too!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene- 1) I still need to hear if the RX-Z7 has a phono input and, if not, would it be easy to attach a phono pre-amp to the Z7, something I have never done with a receiver. I mean, the Z7 has the inputs to handle a phono pre-amp, right?

Also, 2) what about the RX-Z7's LFE adjustments? Please recall that I asked about that on AVR Forum in the Pioneer SC-07 thread when you reviewed the 07. I believe you said there that since the 07 only has a single -10dB adjustment for LFE, that users of the 07 should send audio into it from a player as bitstream, not PCM. Recall the sticky thread on AVR Forum a few years ago that listed the LFE adjustments on various receivers? Some had several different -db adjustments for LFE, some had only one, and at least one had none(!). What does the Z7 have? Is is necessary to send signals into it using bitstream too?

3) Would you say an A/V cooling fan lying on top of the Z7 would solve its heat issue if the receiver were sitting unobstructed on its own table?

4) One commentator in here somewhere said that a Yamaha RX-663 receiver plus an Emotiva LPA-1 amp would be an almost unbeatable package for $1,000 for those who don't need scaling or upconversion.

You yourself said here in response to a question about how the Z7 would compare to the Denon 5308 that the Z7 plus an Emo. XPA-2, (at 250 WPC X 2 ), would be a great combo. That Emo is one sale right now for $719.

Here is my question: What current Yamaha receiver would be IDEAL to pair with what current Emo amp? Would the Yammy Z7 with the Emo XPA-2 be as good as it gets? (I just read what Emo says on their site re the XPA-2. They say that when you add a big 2-channel amp to a multi-channel receiver to boost the front mains, you will hear the side speakers come to life too because the receiver now has more power to devote to the side-channel speakers). OR, would some lower numbered Yamaha paired with the Emo "big dog" MPS-2 at $1,699 be better? It is 200W x 7.

Would it make sense to pair the Z7 with the 7 channel MPS-2? I wouldn't think so since now ALL the amplification will be coming from the Emo amp and those in the receiver will be wasted, right? As you can tell, I am quite intrigued with buying a good receiver for its features and then pairing it with a big Emo amp for at least the front left and right main speakers.

Thank you for any response. L. in Fresno.
Wow thats alot. I will answer as much as I can until my ADD kicks in ;)

Yes the Z7 has a phono input. Not sure how good it is b/c I didn't test it.

Its always best to send bitstream from your blu-ray to the receiver if the bluray can do it. Multi PCM is also good b/c you are still using the bass management of your receiver which is almost always better than the one in the Bluray player. The +10dB boost applies only for the analog inputs. Honestly if you are buying a Z7, you should invest in a Bluray that can do the bitstream out of HDMI. Don't use analog connections!

The amps are very good on the Z7 but it wouldn't hurt to pair it with an XPA-2 for the front channels. If you did go with a 7CH amp then you could reassign 4 channels of the Z7 to other zones. In my system I have a Z7 and MPS-1. I use the MPS-1 to power all 3 zones in my house and the Z7 amps for the main 7.1 theater zone. It sounds fantastic and I am not wanting more power in that setup.

Any forced cooling would help if you can tolerate the fan noise.

663/UPA is a nice combo but I'd rather have a Z7 if I could afford it.

Can anyone give some detail on the differences between the rx-z7 and the rx-v3900. I know the z7 has an extra hdmi on front panel, does audi to zone 4, extra usb, and an extra ir port.
Most of the differences are tabulated in my review of the Z7.

C

cdub

Junior Audioholic
I'm not Gene, obviously, but that XPA-3 is a killer deal! A friend of mine just received his and loves it!
btw how do you like your PC-13 Ultra.... I love mine!

geoh
Very happy with the PC-13 Ultra, it's a whole lotta sub, my only concern is the drywall screws backing out ;)

M

mvp2005fan

Audioholic Intern
Wow
Any forced cooling would help if you can tolerate the fan noise.
Hey, Gene:
Did you ever end up measuring the actual temp of the Z7 with the infrared thermomenter as you mentioned in a previous post?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hey, Gene:
Did you ever end up measuring the actual temp of the Z7 with the infrared thermomenter as you mentioned in a previous post?
No I never got around to ordering one. Do you guys think its good value add for me to start measuring case temperatures of receivers when I review them to better determine your installation options?

C

cdub

Junior Audioholic
No I never got around to ordering one. Do you guys think its good value add for me to start measuring case temperatures of receivers when I review them to better determine your installation options?
I think that would be valuable information for anyone installing into a non-open sided rack. Specifically if you are considering 2 receivers and are worried about heat, you would be able to directly see if one runs significantly hotter than another.

Also down the road if the new X receiver comes out and it runs 30-40 F hotter than what is considered "normal" for that brand, you wouldn't be blind sided by it after installation and have to pull it out to deal with the heat issues.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Great in-depth review as usual. ;) I have installed and worked with many brands of receiver and I always end up gravitating towards Yamaha. I guess I'm just familiar with them and happy with their performance. If I hadn't bought my 2700 two years ago I probably would buy the Z7 today. It looks awesome and it sounds like they have improved just about everything.

Gene, did you compare the network streaming abilities of the Z7 to the 2700? My only complaint with the 2700 is that the networks streaming can be a bit glitchy and sometimes it doesn't see my music library. Did you have any such problems with either receiver?

Gene said:
I know my 2700 had a fan which you could regulate in the Advanced Setup menu. I don't see that option on this receiver though???
Fan? Mine doesn't have a fan. At least I don't believe it does. I've been through the menus countless times and I don't recall ever seeing a fan option nor hearing one inside the case.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
RX3900 vs RX-Z7

Rob,

To answer your question, I bought a 3900 2 weeks ago. I have B&W 802's main, an HTM1 Center and SMCS rear speakers. I bi-amped my fronts and the system sounds very good. It sounds better than my old Rotel RSX-1056 which I will likely sell on Audiogon in the next week or two.

I looked online and based on the obvious specification differences between the Z7 and the 3900 the only things I read that were different were the power supply and internal switches, etc. This lead me to call Yamaha. I got to level 2 support and was told that one of the techs actually has tested both units at home. To him, the Z7 sound quality was much better than the 3900. Gene has said that the same more or less.

I am trying to secure a Z7 now via Best Buy Magnolia Theater, but they need to special order it and I am waiting on whether they can get it or not. If SQ is important to you, from everything I have read and heard, the Z7 is worth the extra money. Don't get me wrong though, the 3900 sounds great with my system already, so if the Z7 is going to improve that, I'll be quite happy :p !!!

Gregg

A

Alien

Audiophyte
Hey, Gene:
Hi Guys. I have started measuring the Z7 under different operation conditions so far I have a very limited set of measurements.

The hottest part of the case is the 3rd set of cooling vents back on the RH side of the receiver as viewed from the front. Under audio only use at normal (ie you can talk to your wife without turning it down) volume levels in a room at 33C ambient, this area measured 55C. The coolest parts of the top of the receiver under these conditions were about 42C.

I have not had any problems with my Z7 but have had to re-arrange my cabinet as the heat soak from the Z7 to the PVR on the shelf above (approx 45mm between the shelf & the Z7) was causing problems with the PVR. After an hour or so of operation severe picture break up would start to occur. The Z7 now sits on top of the cabinet until I come up with an alternative. The cabinet is open front & rear but has very little side clearance (5mm each side of the Z7)

64met

64met

Audioholic
Hey Guys.... Well; I ordered my RXZ-7 based on a lot of factors including Gene's recent review! I am scheduled for my install today!!! And will be pairing it with my JVC RS2 projector in my dedicated HT. I can't wait; after messing around with it this wknd. I will post back with how everything is doing. (Hopefully no artificating). Anyway, thxs again Gene for your time/patience completing such a thorough review.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis