Official Yamaha RX-Z7 Receiver Review Thread

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have read the RX-Z7 manual, and don't see this option.

Can I process one HDMI input, and pass the other?
I read the manual quickly and didn't see anything either. Just in case they may be similar, use your remote to select the source, and go through each option under the source (say TV) to see if there is an option call "video convert" or something like that. I think you are right about the fact that if you feed it with a 1080p signal it should just pass it through.

If I were you I would use a cheap DVD player to play SDVD and let the Anchor Bay do the upscaling. I would save the Marantz to play BD disc only, regardless of the Reon. The thing is just too good to subject it to unnecessary wear and tear by the low def DVD discs. The Z7's Anchor Bay should be able to get the best out of SDVDs.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
In the thread entitled "Official" RX-V1900/RX-V3900 Thread over at the AVS Forums some users are claiming that the Yamaha 3900 is not supporting 1080p input -- even as passthrough -- from some popular sources including the Oppo 983 and some DISH receivers. (For example, see messages 822 and 857 in that thread.) This is obviously disconcerting! Is this problem present in the Z7?
I will check this via my XBOX 360 via component video and see if it passes it thru HDMI. I know most processors won't accept 1080p in and its only recently that they have started too. They just added this ability on the flagship Denon AVP-A1HDCI pre/pro.

On another note, I can tell you so far from my bench testing (audio side) this is one NICE receiver and kicks the pants out of a similarly priced Pioneer Elite model I am testing, at least from a pure measurements perspective. Audio testing commences this week!

B

bigdwest

Enthusiast
Hey Gene,

Thanks for your initial notes so far. I am interested in a techical detail on the Z7. What OPAMP's is the Z7 using for fronts and surrounds.

Also particularly interested in SQ impressions between the Z7, the Pioneer you currently have on the bench and if you could compare to the 5308, the Z11 and even more highend equipment simillar to the Anthem AVM 50 or D2. That would be appreciated.

On the SQ front since you can shut off all the internal amps and use it as a pre/pro it would be great to know how it sounds and preforms as a pre/pro with an external amp compared to the sound as a receiver with the internal amps. There will likely be some differences simply because of differences in amp characteristics but as far as clarity, detail, and spaciousness would love to know if there are any differences.

Also if you can comment on the identified draw backs fo the Z11 (below black above white and the cross over issues) that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the detailed reviews you provide. It helps a great deal in making a educated purchases.

David

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Also if you can comment on the identified draw backs fo the Z11 (below black above white and the cross over issues) that would be greatly appreciated.
Very interesting remark. I have read several threads on this issue; here at Audioholics if I remember well, at AVSFORUMS and at AVFORUMS and the more I read about it, the more I think I know but ultimately the more confused I end up being.

So here it is; I have a Denon 3930CI, set up with HDMI YCbCr connected to my Z11 set up with HDMI Pass through and Audio select which works OK... at least for me.

Is the Z11 losing any data because I read in a particular thread that the Z11's pass through is not a 100% pass through or does this only apply to HD disks ? If there is a problem; is the Z7 also affected by this ?

M

MichaelJHuman

Audioholic
Hello.

Will you test the NR capability? I was very dissapointed in the fact the 3900 does not appear to be able to improve poor looking SD video. It made me wonder if they decided to not turn on any NR on the 3900 and reserve that for the Z7.

Also, I know you guys sometimes talk to Yamaha, I would be interested in knowing whether there's any interesting differences between the 3900 and the Z7's audio circuits. I believe there was a video where they said the Z7 would have a bigger power supply.

I will be very curious to see the review. (I assume Audiholics won't be covering the 3900 as you are doing the Z7.)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Called Yamaha

Just got off the phone with Yamaha. I inquired about a firmware update to correct the issue with being able to choose which HDMI inputs up-scale, and the representative stated they were not planning an update for that.:rolleyes:

I put in a request.:eek:

B

bigdwest

Enthusiast
It has been a few days since this thread has been updated. Gene any early comments on the Z7 before you office review is available?

Thanks for any information you might be able to provide as do you have an ETA on your complete review of the Z7?

B

bigdwest

Enthusiast
Bass Management Request to be address in Review of the Z7

Gene,

Can you please address the following question either here or in your review fo the Z7.

Got unit connected.

Running through some quick start-up features to get the most important stuff done first.

Z7 has separate x-over points for f/fp/c/s/sb.:D

I was going to accept the fact that Yamaha doesn't let you set separate points, and am excited to find-out this one does.:D:D:D

And, the sub x-over point is separate from that.
I have been a Yamaha fan for a long time. starting with the 2400, then the 2600, and now the 2700 all used as pre/pro's.

That is great that there are so many options for crossover settings in the Z7, but I am interested in the last item "And, the sub x-over point is separate from that."

I am curious to know how the Z7 will handle the following. If I set my front speakers to 50hz, my surrounds and surround back's to 80 hz (small) and the sub to 70hz what happens to the 10hz from 80hz to 70hz for the surrounds and the surrounds? Is the audio dropped or should I set my sub crossover to the crossover point for my surrounds? Will YPOA do all the settings for me ?

Then if I match the crossover of sub to my surrounds do I have an overlap of audio from 50hz to 80hz for my fronts.

The Z7 has LFE settings of Front + SWFR, SWFR, and Front. Front + SWFR sends LFE to the sub during non LFE playback with all speakers set to SMALL. SWFR only sends LFE to sub if there is a LFE track. A Front option will not allow you to select the SMALL size in the GUI for the mains, and no LFE will be sent to the sub.

It's different, and better thought-out. I see why there has been so much confusion with this in the past.
Z, Again thank you for all the great detail. Your information is much appreciated.

So to finish of the previous thoughts on Bass Manangement (BM) let me ask a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

1) If I set the LFE settings in the Z7 to "Front + Sub" can I set the front speakers to small and a x-over of 50hz and allo audio below 50hz for the Fronts will be sent to the sub? Or do I have set the fronts to large because I have chosen LFE to "FRONT+SUB"? If they are set to Large can I still set the cross over to 50hz?

2) If I set the LFE setting for "Front + Sub" and set the sub crossover to 50hz, the Fronts to small (if possible) and crossed over at 50hz, and the surrounds to small and crossed over at 80hz... Will the audio below 80hz to 50hz for the surrounds be sent to the fronts and then from 50hz and below audio for all channels be sent to the sub?

3) In complete auto setup mode for YPAO, how does it configure bass management? LFE to "Front+Sub" or Sub or Fronts? Seperate crossover points and size for each speaker group?

Thank all you guys for any help you can provide here.

Regards,

David

B

bigdwest

Enthusiast
Video overlays for Receivers status

One more question about the Z7. This is in relation to video overlays for status information.

My receiver lives in a cabinate with no visibility to the front the receiver without openning the cabinet door. I am wondering if the Z7 displays the receivers status on screen as a video overlay even on signals up to 1080p/24hz (and greater). It would be great if it showed volume level, surround mode selected, YPAO status. etc.

If anyone can provide screensshots of what this might look like that would be apprecaited also.

Thanks,

David

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
One more question about the Z7. This is in relation to video overlays for status information.

My receiver lives in a cabinate with no visibility to the front the receiver without openning the cabinet door. I am wondering if the Z7 displays the receivers status on screen as a video overlay even on signals up to 1080p/24hz (and greater). It would be great if it showed volume level, surround mode selected, YPAO status. etc.

If anyone can provide screensshots of what this might look like that would be apprecaited also.

Thanks,

David

Check post 110 on www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1061281&page=4

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Gene,

Can you please address the following question either here or in your review fo the Z7.

I have been a Yamaha fan for a long time. starting with the 2400, then the 2600, and now the 2700 all used as pre/pro's.

That is great that there are so many options for crossover settings in the Z7, but I am interested in the last item "And, the sub x-over point is separate from that."
That was an incorrect statement, and was corrected in a following post by myself. Sorry about that, it was an honest mistake from my excitement.

In my excitement, I posted this information wrong. The Sub settings in the GUI are for phase, and bass-out.
I am curious to know how the Z7 will handle the following. If I set my front speakers to 50hz, my surrounds and surround back's to 80 hz (small) and the sub to 70hz what happens to the 10hz from 80hz to 70hz for the surrounds and the surrounds? Is the audio dropped or should I set my sub crossover to the crossover point for my surrounds? Will YPOA do all the settings for me ?
The sub is not separate. If you want a separate sub x-over point, use the L&R inputs on the sub, instead of the LFE. Then set the sub x-over on the sub itself.;)

1) If I set the LFE settings in the Z7 to "Front + Sub" can I set the front speakers to small and a x-over of 50hz and allo audio below 50hz for the Fronts will be sent to the sub? Or do I have set the fronts to large because I have chosen LFE to "FRONT+SUB"? If they are set to Large can I still set the cross over to 50hz?
Front + Sub redirects non-LFE sources to the sub below the x-over point chosen in the GUI. Any speaker that is set to SMALL will not receive it.

2) If I set the LFE setting for "Front + Sub" and set the sub crossover to 50hz, the Fronts to small (if possible) and crossed over at 50hz, and the surrounds to small and crossed over at 80hz... Will the audio below 80hz to 50hz for the surrounds be sent to the fronts and then from 50hz and below audio for all channels be sent to the sub?
The fronts will be getting 50Hz, and above. It's a rhetorical question.:confused:

3) In complete auto setup mode for YPAO, how does it configure bass management? LFE to "Front+Sub" or Sub or Fronts? Separate crossover points and size for each speaker group?
When you have a certain idea of how you want your speakers set, you select SKIP for speaker SIZE.

Last edited:
B

bigdwest

Enthusiast
Z,

Thank you for the help. One last question and it was not clear in the user manual. If I select Front+SUB for my LFE settings, can I set the Fronts to "small" and a desired crossover frequency for the fronts?

Again thank you so much for all your help. Your post have been excellent.

Thanks,

David

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Z,

Thank you for the help. One last question and it was not clear in the user manual. If I select Front+SUB for my LFE settings, can I set the Fronts to "small" and a desired crossover frequency for the fronts?
Yes. When you select the mains as SMALL, you are given an option to select a x-over point for them. Same goes for the rest.

Front+SUB is different from the previous option of BOTH in some Yamaha receivers.

Front+Sub is intended for non-LFE sources to re-direct the LF to the sub, and NOT send it to the mains. It is well thought-out.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Update:

Neither the Yamaha RX-Z7 or Pioneer SC-07 will take in a 1080p component video signal and pass it out via HDMI. They both will take in 1080i though...

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
I am really glad I picked one up. I got it for so much off I would have been dumb to leave without it. but thanks guys for the info.

The speaker + sub now is more to have the sub work in a stereo type function?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
The speaker + sub now is more to have the sub work in a stereo type function?
FRONT+SUB is what you want to choose if you have an HT. SMALL is what you want to choose for ALL speakers if you have an HT.

All frequencies below your chosen x-over point, from ANY source, will go to the sub. And, ONLY to the sub.

H

heators954

Audiophyte
how will it compare

I've been waiting for a receiver to replace the yamaha RX-V1. I don't use the amps as i have seperate amps. The V1 receiver is very nice and sounds amazing with the FOCUS speakers.

Any thoughts if the sound fidelity of the Z7 can match or better the V1?

I recently got a panasonic BD55 mainly because it had the ability to decode the new sound formats and use the ext. input on the receiver. However it doesn't sound so good. I'm guessing the processor's in the V1 are just much better than in the BD55. So I'm really looking to get a new receiver with HDMI and the new sound formats. The Z7 has my attention if (IF) can can sound as good as the V1 both movies and SACD.

Thanks
sh

N

noopara

Audiophyte
Any News?

I was wondering if we might be able to get an update on how the review is going? I need to make a decision on either the 3900 or Z7 for one of my clients.
Any hints?

N

noopara

Audiophyte
I got a private reply to my question but I can't answer it because I don't have enough posts on the board. So here is #2

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis