Official Yamaha RX-Z7 Receiver Review Thread

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Is the size of caps related to amp technology? Just a note the caps in my mac are 38,000 x 2

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Is the size of caps related to amp technology? Just a note the caps in my mac are 38,000 x 2
Not really, regardless of what class of amp employeed, you still need a good power supply with plenty of capacitance to minimize PS ripple, especially during heavy power demand.

P

Paul Clark

Audiophyte
Using Pure Direct will bypass your system bass management. So unless you are running all full range speakers, sitting equadistant from all speakers, and have perfect bass convergence for your listening area doing so (highly unlikely).
Five equidistant full-range speakers is the norm for SA-CD enthusiasts.
In fact Sony (SA-CD inventors) and Philips recommend a specific speaker layout for multichannel SA-CD.
Please see: SA-CD.net/faq#playback19 and SA-CD.net/faq#playback21

Obviously, this is where our opinions and interest in the RX-Z7 diverge.
Nevertheless, I am enthusiastically looking forward to your review.

Last edited:
P

Paul Clark

Audiophyte
Schooling Gene on sacd?:eek:

You must be joking, right?:rolleyes:

Have a red.
I wasn't "schooling" anyone. I came here by invitation by Gene, a complete stranger to me. Did you expect I should have ESP? Did it cross your mind that others may not have a clue as to what was being discussed? You suggest they remain clueless.

I guess I am not welcome to voice my opinons here or provide some facts.
I'll be more than happy to leave you to your own devices.

:rolleyes: back at you - Ciao!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I wasn't "schooling" anyone.
Your reply was to a quote. Looked directed to Gene from where I sit.

If you would like to educate the general forum about sacd, I would recommend you do so in a thread about sacd.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Five equidistant full-range speakers is the norm for SA-CD enthusiasts.
In fact Sony (SA-CD inventors) and Philips recommend a specific speaker layout for multichannel SA-CD.
Please see: SA-CD.net/faq#playback19 and SA-CD.net/faq#playback21
Paul,

That is great if you set up your room for one listener but 5 full range speakers is usually NOT the way to go for home theater, especially when doing alot of movie watching.

We wrote a little article about this, and faced off against some of the recording engineers whom sadly didn't really understand bass management, small room acoustics and how people arrange typical theater systems in the home.

Please see:
http://www.audioholics.com/news/on-location-articles/home-theater-cruise-panel-2-setting-a-new-surround-sound-standard

If you would like to further discuss SACD, pleaase start a new thread. I'd be happy to engage there. thanks for your input.

P

Paul Clark

Audiophyte
Paul,

That is great if you set up your room for one listener but 5 full range speakers is usually NOT the way to go for home theater, especially when doing alot of movie watching.

We wrote a little article about this, and faced off against some of the recording engineers whom sadly didn't really understand bass management, small room acoustics and how people arrange typical theater systems in the home.

Please see:
http://www.audioholics.com/news/on-location-articles/home-theater-cruise-panel-2-setting-a-new-surround-sound-standard

If you would like to further discuss SACD, pleaase start a new thread. I'd be happy to engage there. thanks for your input.
You are under the assumption that the primary interests by SA-CD enthusiasts is HT. I submit to you that anything other than five identical full-range speakers is not the way to go for SA-CD. Hence my remark about our divergence.

Thanks for your cival engagement Gene. It is much appreciated.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I have read the RX-Z7 manual, and don't see this option.

Can I process one HDMI input, and pass the other?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
You are under the assumption that the primary interests by SA-CD enthusiasts is HT. I submit to you that anything other than five identical full-range speakers is not the way to go for SA-CD. Hence my remark about our divergence.
Understood but I submit to you anyone setting up a multi channel sound system solely for SACD playback isn't buying an RX-Z7 to do so :rolleyes:

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Understood but I submit to you anyone setting up a multi channel sound system solely for SACD playback isn't buying an RX-Z7 to do so :rolleyes:
Sooooo, what did I buy this RX-Z7 for? Hmmmmmm?:confused:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Sooooo, what did I buy this RX-Z7 for? Hmmmmmm?
So it could do a top rate job of playing SACD with proper bass management while also doing well for home theater and music :rolleyes:

sticknstones

sticknstones

Enthusiast

Thanks for your cival engagement Gene. It is much appreciated.
Paul, I thought you asked meaningful questions and that your intent was not at all hostile towards the forum. Please know by my accounts that you are welcome. If you do create the SA CD thread as Gene has advised please let us know and we or I will follow you along as it is informative to me!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
Multi-channel power output into 4 ohms?

To what frequency is the low pass to the sub set
1. If the mains are set to a lower xo than the other channels?
2. If the mains are set to Large and Bass Out is set to Both?

The other primary areas of interest I'm aware of are the detailed differences in the audio hardware vs the 3900 and Z11, difficult to get as Yamaha has yet to post the shop manual for the Z7, and the comparative video performance vs the 3900 and Edge implementations of the 2010, difficult to get without all three components side-by-side.

M

Music Fanatic

Audiophyte
RX-Z7 problems with some 1080p sources

Gene, I apologize in advance for not being able to give URL links in this post -- this is my first post in this forum, and the system is blocking my ability to post links.

In the thread entitled "Official" RX-V1900/RX-V3900 Thread over at the AVS Forums some users are claiming that the Yamaha 3900 is not supporting 1080p input -- even as passthrough -- from some popular sources including the Oppo 983 and some DISH receivers. (For example, see messages 822 and 857 in that thread.) This is obviously disconcerting! Is this problem present in the Z7?

Another (less serious) problem claimed in that thread is that XM radio information is not displaying as promised. (See message 622 in that thread.) Since the 3900 and Z7 seem to share a lot of software, any insights that you could shed on the Z7's ability to function in these areas (as well as the ability to highlight these bugs to Yamaha, if they exist) would be helpful.

Thanks!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I have my Marantz BD8002 running to my Z7 via HDMI.

I have my Comcast HD cable running to my Z7 via HDMI.

My Toshiba Regza will display the signal being input.

Everything is 1080p.

Don't plan on messing with XM.

Hope this helps your question.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have read the RX-Z7 manual, and don't see this option.

Can I process one HDMI input, and pass the other?
haha, my 4308 can do it. I would think that the Z7 can do it too, read the manual again.:D

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
haha, my 4308 can do it. I would think that the Z7 can do it too, read the manual again.:D
From my Z7 thread:

I am now checking-out Marantz BD8002 with standard dvd up-converted by Realta in the player, and then Anchor Bay in the receiver. I don't see that Anchor Bay is doing anything but making the picture better. It certainly isn't noticeably worse. My standard def dvds look amazing.

I had to choose up-conversion on my receiver due to the fact I want my cable up-converted. The receiver only lets you choose up-conversion for all HDMI inputs, or passthrough for all.

The only feature I see so far that I don't like is the fact that I can't choose which HDMI input to up-convert, and which one not to. But as I said, I don't see it causing any problem with my picture. As far as I know, it may see a 1080p input, and not process it at all.

So far, just tickled.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis