Official Yamaha RX-Z7 Receiver Review Thread

M

mrobb

Enthusiast
RX-Z7 dsp modes and timer

can anyone please tell me where I can find information on what all the 22 dsp modes are the yammy has to offer and does this baby have an off timer like the old dsp a1
thanks again.

EvanescoZ7

EvanescoZ7

Audioholic Intern
Damn! I just discovered my DSP-Z7 has the HDMI processing bug :mad:
I have a feeling it's because the ABT chip gets to hot, so a firmware update won't help much :confused::eek::confused:
When will we see the firmware that is supposed fixing it? We have now mid marts...

EvanescoZ7

EvanescoZ7

Audioholic Intern
I just tested their 1.06 ver they plan on releasing soon. It works flawless from my tests. stay tuned....
any news??? what are the new features, that you refer to in your review. Does it fix the HDMI processing bug for good? thanx.

bluemartian

bluemartian

Audiophyte
OK, I ask again.

Has anyone tried the Web Control Center with Netradio and USB?

I can't select tracks and stations with the grey bar when clicking on the Up Down bottons. Nothing happens when hitting Back and Enter.

Can someone try this for me?
I see no one has responded to this question yet. I just tried navigating various internet radio stations and podcasts using the web control center for my Z7 (with the Firefox browser). As far as I can tell, keyboard commands are not accepted. You have to use the mouse and you can cannot click directly on the track listing but must use the nav buttons surrounding the track list (Up, Down, PgUp, PdDn, Enter, Back).

If I click on the Down button, the grey highlight moves down the track list. I stop with the highlight on the station I want and click the Enter button to the right of the track list and the station begins to play no problem. So it seems to work fine as long as you are mousing. Keyboard Enter, keyboard Back, keyboard arrow keys, etc. do not seem to work.

EvanescoZ7

EvanescoZ7

Audioholic Intern
I see no one has responded to this question yet. I just tried navigating various internet radio stations and podcasts using the web control center for my Z7 (with the Firefox browser). As far as I can tell, keyboard commands are not accepted. You have to use the mouse and you can cannot click directly on the track listing but must use the nav buttons surrounding the track list (Up, Down, PgUp, PdDn, Enter, Back).

If I click on the Down button, the grey highlight moves down the track list. I stop with the highlight on the station I want and click the Enter button to the right of the track list and the station begins to play no problem. So it seems to work fine as long as you are mousing. Keyboard Enter, keyboard Back, keyboard arrow keys, etc. do not seem to work.
Well, nothing happens when I click on Up, Down, PgUp, PdDn, Enter, Back with the mouse. The grey highlight does not move. :mad:
thanx for the response btw :)

W

Warlan

Audioholic Intern
  • both units have comparible HDMI and Digital I/O's while the SC-07 has Component video switching for Zone 2 and the RX-Z7 doesn't.
Could you please explain this? Page 125 from the Z7 manual says you can hook up Zone 2, 3 or 4 to the Component Monitor Out/Zone Out. I'm assuming this would allow you to pass a separate video source to another zone via component?

In addition, the specifications link on the Yammy webpage says Zone 2 has component video capabilities.

Great review, it's made me really consider plopping the extra down for the Z7 over its competitors.

Thanks in advance!

P

PaulF

Audioholic
From Gene's review...

"Thankfully, if you select any particular input on the RX-Z7, it offers you the option to store a particular memory setting as well as to what extent to recall its function. Thus I kept my audio calibrations the same for three of the six presets but customized the video settings and recalled them on their respective inputs for optimal picture settings."

Gene or Z7 owners, can you please explain the above. Does this mean a specific set of saved video settings can be automatically called up when selecting a video input? I checked the manual and could not find this.

Also I had previously asked about the BGV. Is this now strictly limited to audio from the MCH inputs? What happens if you want to hear audio from the tuner/ipod/stereo inputs etc, will the screen always be blank?

EvanescoZ7

EvanescoZ7

Audioholic Intern
Well, nothing happens when I click on Up, Down, PgUp, PdDn, Enter, Back with the mouse. The grey highlight does not move. :mad:
thanx for the response btw :)
I did an initialize ALL(reset back to factory defaults), in advanced setup, and viola, the Down, PgUp, PdDn, Enter, Back botton and the grey highlight now responses to my mouse clicks.
I guess the reason could be the upgrading to firmware 1.05 without restting back to factory defaults.

Now the HDMI processing bug is the main concern. I sincerely hope that 1.06 fixes it. Gene??? Some kind of respond would be nice :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
wow lots of questions here.

here are some answers:

1. the video bug is NOT heat related. I have working firmware that fixes this. Yamaha claims they will release it mid March. Quality testing is delaying its release.

2. I too am finding the web control center feature is a bit slow and buggy. They need to work on this for sure but I predict it will get better over time.

3. Yes you can store video settings and recall them per input! I believe I wrote this in the review as well.

4. Although I didn't try this, I believe you can run a separate video source via component video to another zone.

hope this helps.

W

Warlan

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for you reply gene. :)

Regarding the component video for another zone, you wouldn't want to test it to make sure would you? ;)

EvanescoZ7

EvanescoZ7

Audioholic Intern
thank you for responding, gene.

The firmware fix for HDMI processing bug will be available at the beginning of March with other added features

what are those added features? :eek:

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Question for Gene

Hi Gene,

Sorry to post my question here, but it seems that it is a good place to see you often.

By the way, I love your new article on older vs newer receivers, adding features that give up on amplifier power and quality...

My question: I know that you recommend not more than 20hz or so gaps,
between the x-overs of speakers, in a surround system, from the receiver or pre/pro.
Now, where can I find the best article or review, explaining the reasons for that?
I did read the review of the Denon AVR-5805, where you praise the excellent
"Bass Management" implementation on this A/V receiver.
Are there other receivers that also implement the proper way of bass management?
And what influences, a less than good bass management, have on Audyssey
Room EQ?

Will much appreciate,

Regards,

_______
Bob

EvanescoZ7

EvanescoZ7

Audioholic Intern
Hey,

Just noticed. Looking carefully at the flags on the far left of the display, where WMA, MP3, AAC etc light up, that last one on the bottom, reads FLAC. But when I put FLAC files on my USB stick, it doesn't recognize it.
Does this mean, Yamaha has plans for FLAC support?

Last edited:
A

Azz123

Junior Audioholic
Hey,

Just noticed. Looking carefully at the flags on the far left of the display, where WMA, MP3, AAC etc light up, that last one on the bottom, reads FLAC. But when I put FLAC files on my USB stick, it doesn't recognize it.
Does this mean, Yamaha has plans for FLAC support?
I hope they do!! Well I'll forgive the fact I've just converted 146 albums from flac to 320kbs MP3 if they do.

M

mvp2005fan

Audioholic Intern
I'm pretty sure there was a fan but I may be confusing it with the SC-07. I had like 3 products in at the same time. Here is a pic of the top cover off which I dont see the fan. If anyone has a new Z7 not hooked up, perhaps they can peer at the bottom cover to see if the fan is somewhere there.

I know my 2700 had a fan which you could regulate in the Advanced Setup menu. I don't see that option on this receiver though???
As an installation note that might be helpful to know for some prospective buyers--I just took my Z7 out of the box this week--while there is no fan, the venting holes in the unit are not only on top, but also on the left side of the unit. The right has no holes.

Accordingly, if you're going to put the unit on open shelves, putting the Z7 on the open left side of the shelf would seem to help with venting the heat.

M

Meridius

Audioholic Intern
was woundering when using hdmi to hdmi pass through does the 3900/Z7 degrade the picture at all as i am using a denon 2500bt and as this player has a very high quality output i was woundering if any of these amps degrade the picture when using the pass through.

would the picture quality be just as good if you where to hook it stright up to your tv as using hdmi to hdmi from the ampt o the tv

thanks

EvanescoZ7

EvanescoZ7

Audioholic Intern
was woundering when using hdmi to hdmi pass through does the 3900/Z7 degrade the picture at all as i am using a denon 2500bt and as this player has a very high quality output i was woundering if any of these amps degrade the picture when using the pass through.

would the picture quality be just as good if you where to hook it stright up to your tv as using hdmi to hdmi from the ampt o the tv

thanks
There is absolutely no loss of quality when passing the hdmi signal through the Z7(processing disabled). Before Z7 I had a Onkyo 906 on try, and with this receiver I deffently could see a difference - loss of quality. With Z7, I sometimes get the feeling the picture gets a bit more crisp when being passed through the Z7. Maybe thats just me :eek:

Last edited:
M

Meridius

Audioholic Intern
so the 3900 should be the same as the Z7 as they are very close in specs for the hdmi to hdmi pass through

L

loatincali

Audiophyte
Zone 4 and optical

First, let me thank everyone for posting on this thread and for Gene's great review! I purchased the Z7 and I'm very happy...it is a great receiver.

I am having an issue and hope someone can help me. This unit replaced my Denon 3805, but I want to use it in another room (Zone 4). I connected the optical Zone 4 out Yamaha to my Denon (opt in). However, I only get audio from devices that are connected to the Yamaha optical inputs (TV, DVD player). I have 3 other components (Xbox, PS3, 2nd DVD) attached via HDMI, that are not sending a signal as well as the Yamaha Tuner and Net-Radio).

I've tried changing the opt ports to the Denon (Aux, DVD, etc), but still only optical inputs are transmitting, I cannot hear anything from the HDMI devices or Tuner/Net Radio. I have both the Receiver manager and web interface on to control Zone 4 on the Yamaha.

Am I missing something? I would like to get this running before buying a longer optical wire to run into the other room. Right now I am testing with a 6ft Toslink cable with the receivers next to each other.

Thanks in advance!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis