Of Experts, Advice, Marketing and $1500

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
You're looking at $480 for the 5 speaker set of the SP-FS52, SP-C22, and SP-BS22-LR. To me, the next clear step up in performance would be a system like the Ascend CMT-340SE Mains & Center with a pair of HTM-200SE for surrounds. That would set you back $1068 + shipping, so it pretty much destroys your budget cap, and wouldn't allow you to complete your system with a sub and receiver.
!
He said he is fairly flexible, I would take that step and upgrade to the Ascend package.
Ascend System Advisor

You won't likely outgrow these. I have seen them in action in a big room and I was impressed.

I would even be willing to go with this and hold out on the sub until more funds were available and then get the "right sub".

Or heck...this is America...put it on a credit card that has no interest for 6 months, pay it off before then and never tell your wife about it...:D:D

L

LitoGeorge

Audioholic Intern
Hi there, LitoGeorge.

Got your PM. Thanks for getting in touch! Sorry I've not replied sooner. Busy time of year. I'm sure you understand :)
Hey FR - of course I understand! Thanks so much for your opinion and input here. Super helpful, detailed and brings some intel that I simply have not read elsewhere. Mucho appreciated.

So, $1500 budget, L-shaped room, over 4000 cubic feet, meaning you've got a "very large" room, in terms of the sort of bass output you'll need.
Are those numbers correct? I truly suck at these volumetric calculations, but I can assure you that the room is a maximum of 700 sq foot. Its actually quite small. 16 ft long x 7 ft tall ceiling x 10 feet wide - and thats the big part!

The interesting thing about those Ascends is that one needs good quality speaker stands to go with them which certainly raises the price no?

With my clarifying the room size, does that change the recommendations? Of course, I will grow into a larger house with very likely a larger HT room of double the size, where we could finally have the room to "swing a cat".

Some further questions:

a) If I was happy to plump for the better sub (with future in mind), would the VTF3MK4 be the pick of the bunch?

b) I dont mind refurb at all if they are good refurbs. I've only had a hassle with Dyson products in refurb, but that all worked out superbly in the end. How does that NR709 compare to the NR818 compare to the Denon AVR2112CI?

c) Those pre-outs - seem like a smart choice in future proofing. Comparable recievers to the 3 above?

d) Given my 65:35 movie/music split right now, would getting 5x FS52 speakers be a smart choice? We dont have much furniture down there, just a big 65" Panny TV and a couch+ottomans.

e) Would getting a further 2x FS52's for duty upstairs for pure easy listening music be a smart choice? Enough bass etc?

To reiterate, I am flexible on the budget to probably another 500-700 and I'd love to have a system that will satisfy me for the next 5 years minimum. I'd like 7.2 downstairs (ultimately), and 2.1 upstairs :)

Tx a stack for looking into all of this, mucho gracias!

ps: I listened to an Energy V63 Veritas tower/ VS10B sub/Pioneer SC-1527 receiver combo and the bass was signficantly tighter and far more engaging that the rival Klipsch RF800/RC500/RS400/SW110/ Pioneer SC-1227 receiver right next to it. Sure, it was an open environment BB, and despite the Energy setup not even have the centre/surrounds attached, it was in a different league.

Hope that explains my aural tastes, although I am not sure if my budget allows for the Energy setup (he quoted me retail $8.5K, sell it to me for $5.2K and I just laughed at him - research shows me it is hopelessly overpriced)

L

LitoGeorge

Audioholic Intern
He said he is fairly flexible, I would take that step and upgrade to the Ascend package.
Very nice looking speakers, I'd have to take your word that they are superior to the AJ FS52's. I havent even been able to demo those - BB in Canada dont offer that range..

Or heck...this is America...put it on a credit card that has no interest for 6 months, pay it off before then and never tell your wife about it...:D:D
That is pretty hilarious! :p:D

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Oh wow. If those 16' x 10' x 7' dimensions are closer to your room size, that is MUCH smaller.

You said 500 - 700 SQUARE feet originally. Square feet is just the length of the room times the width of the room. When you multiply the SQUARE footage by the height of the room, that gives you your CUBIC volume of air.

So 16' x 10' would be a 160 sq foot room. Multiplied by a 7' ceiling height, and you have a 1,120 cu foot room.

You said that's only a portion of your room though. When you talk about room size, you need to include all areas that are not literally closed off from other rooms by a full wall with a closed door. Anywhere that the air CAN move, it WILL move. And the subwoofer will attempt to pressurize the entire volume of air. It does not somehow "know" that only a portion of the room is your "theater area".

So try to include the entire volume of the space. For example, many homes have "great rooms" where the kitchen, dining room and living room are all open to one another. You might only consider the living room to be your "theater area". But so far as your subwoofer is concerned, it's going to try and pressurize the air in the entire open space! The kitchen, dining room, and living room - all of it. The subwoofer doesn't "know". It's just trying to vibrate the air. ALL of the available air.

So it isn't quite clear exactly how large a space you're actually dealing with. But it sounds like it's smaller than 500 SQUARE feet now. Even if it's more like 16' x 20' x 8' , that's only 2560 cubic feet in volume, which is a medium sized room.

In a medium sized room, the HSU VTF-2 MK4 or Rythmik FV12 would be my top recommendations for subwoofers. Their plethora of filters and tuning options allow you to compensate for the "room gain" that you'll get in a medium or small sized room. Those features are important so that you can get nice, even, linear bass way down to the lowest sounds without the effects of the room making things sound "bloated" or "boomy", which can easily happen without some filters and tuning options in place.

Those choices don't save you any money vs. the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus, but they are certainly less expensive than the $750 and up subwoofer options. So this $500-ish price range is right where you want to be for subwoofers.

When it comes to speakers, it's easy to quickly get into really high prices. But if you've got some "wiggle room" in the budget, the Ascend SE speaker package I mentioned before is simply superb. Like I said, if you don't like the way the CMT-340SE sound, you either don't like the recording, or you don't like your room's acoustics. They are extremely accurate and transparent speakers. They just "tell it like it is". Take nothing away, add nothing extraneous.

If you're ok with the plain, black, fairly large boxy looks of the Ascend SE speakers, then I would certainly recommend them. The CMT-340SE Main speakers have matching pedestal stands for $100 that make them look just like tower speakers if you want. You don't have to go crazy on speaker stands though. What you will want to do is damp the connection between the speakers and the stands, or the table or shelf on which they are sitting. Devices like the Auralex MoPads serve this purpose, although the MoPads are definitely over-priced for what they are. All you're after is a good shock absorber to go in between the speakers and whatever they're sitting on. Mouse pads work - although many mouse pads are rather slippery - "earthquake putty" aka BlueTak is also a great way to both damp and secure speakers. It's sticky, but still squishy, so several big blobs of earthquake putty are a great solution.

That just leaves the AV Receiver. Like I mentioned, I really like having the option of speaker pre-outs so that you can add separate amps later if you ever want to. For some reason, Denon doesn't include pre-outs until quite high in their lineup.

When you start going up in price, all you're really getting is a bit more amplifier power built in, and a few extra features. You mentioned the Onkyo TX-NR818. It's big claim to fame is being the least expensive receiver at the moment with Audyssey MultEQ XT32, which is the highest "level" of Audyssey room correction. And it's great! The TX-NR818 is an extremely impressive receiver. It's just going to be a matter of price.

To me, the TX-NR709 is a champ for value. And if you ever want more amplifier power, it's a better value to have the 709, and then add a separate amp! I particularly like to recommend using a 3-channel amp, like the Emotiva XPA-3, to power the Front 3 speakers, and then use the receiver to power the Surrounds, which the 709 is more than capable of handling just fine. That's a really high value setup, with power and quality that rivals almost anything else out there.

It's very easy to go nuts on this stuff ;) Very easy to go over budget. With your room being a more reasonable "medium" size, I'd say stick with the $500-ish price subs, stick with the TX-NR709, and if you want to splurge a bit over your $1500 original budget, spend it on the Ascend SE speakers. That's a combo of products that will last you many many years. You can easily expand with a second subwoofer and a separate amp for the speakers in the future if you ever want to. But for right now, you won't be disappointed, and you won't have wasted a single penny. Every dollar spent will have gone straight to maximum performance for the price. And you'll be spoiled once you get used to it, and then hear what your friends are using in their homes ;)

L

LitoGeorge

Audioholic Intern
Wow! Thanks FirstReflection, thats an awesome post.

I did some math. Turns out I have a much smaller room than I estimated. Its about 300 square feet. (We knew it was small, but blimey!).

That is the "L" shaped room. There is more air space though - because a flight of stairs connects the Basement L shaped room with the Middle Floor. There is a door that can close off that space, but its glass, has a large gap *by design* under it, and that then leads to about 750 square feet on the middle floor, which then leads to another 750 square feet above that on the third floor. So, I am not sure when to really call it quits when it comes to "air space"

So, if we count just the bottom stuff, then I am looking at 2100 cubic foot absolutely maximum of air space. Its likely to be more like 1800 cubic foot on the floor (excluding stairs et al).

SUB
Given that my next place will be larger than this, does it make sense to go with the VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer ?

I see you recommending the Sub just below that, but I must admit I have a hankering for this one. Not sure why.

Speakers:

So in your estimation that Ascends are far better than the Pioneer Andrew Jones range then? FS52's et al?

I am balking at the speaker stands price because I would like them to look like towers and it would suit my current setup looks wise. Hmmm

Receivers

Thanks for the explanation on the 708. Makes sense to me, even though I dont know how a preamp would sound, etc.

I note that the 809 is $110 cheaper than this. Is the 708 still your preferred choice given this pricing? Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-NR809 THX Certified 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver (Black): Electronics

Phew! Thats a lot of clarifying. I am really enjoying your input, so as much or as little as you'd like to add, I am thankful for all of it.

G

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Whoa! TX-NR809 for $426! Holy cow. BUY IT!

lol

Seriously, I had no idea the 809 was being cleared out for that price! So thank YOU for pointing that out! The 809 has everything the 709 has, and then some. So that's an insanely good deal. Grab it before it's sold out!

I'd never tell someone to buy LESS subwoofer if you're ok with the higher price and physically larger size. If the VTF-3 MK4 really floats your boat, for whatever reason, then by all means!

The VTF-3 MK4 is actually a really great choice for use in a medium sized room now, and then a large room later. It's got a ton of filter and tuning options. So even though it's a physically very large sub, and capable of very very loud output, you can still set it up to work very nicely in a smaller room. It's extremely flexible that way. So it's a great choice. Just be sure you really understand just how big it is! It's a BIG sub. I'd highly recommend you make yourself a cardboard model of it using the dimensions listed on HSU Research's website. You definitely need to be aware of just how much room it takes up!

As for the speakers, it's very tough to put into words how some speakers are "better" than others. Truth be told, the differences start to get pretty small almost right away. It's the reason some people roll their eyes when us audio geeks talk about speakers :p

To most folks, the differences just aren't big enough for them to really care or think it's worth the money. But I like to only recommend products where there is an obvious difference. Something anyone would notice. And with no need to "prime" the person by telling them what they "should" hear. Just sit down, compare the two speakers, and have an obvious difference between them. To me, if you can't do that, what's the point, really? To us audio nuts, splitting hairs is fine. We'll spend thousands or even tens of thousands for minuscule differences. But I really don't expect "normal" people to do that :p

The only "bad" speakers are ones that outright fail to produce all of the sounds that are in a recording. And that's actually quite a few speakers out there. Especially cheap speakers. So that's what makes the Pioneer speakers so special. They are cheap. But they are good. They play all the sounds in any recording, and they play them quite accurately. Being able to do that at their price point is really rare!

So as soon as a speaker can reproduce all the sounds in a recording, and do so accurately, it's a "good" speaker. But that doesn't mean there isn't refinement to be had. And that's what more expensive speakers can offer.

Really, once you have all the sounds being reproduced accurately, what you're after now is mostly reducing all the various forms of distortion (and there are many many forms of distortion), and increasing the transient response, which are the starts and stops of notes and sounds. Those starts and stops are really really hard to get perfect. Speakers make sound by moving. And moving objects have inertia. To make a stationary object start moving, you have to apply force. And to stop an object that is already in motion, you have to apply force again. But speakers aren't just stationary or non-stationary. When they're playing, they're constantly shifting. The drivers have to move at different rates, at different amplitudes, and then stop on a dime when the signal calls for it. That takes a tremendous amount of control. And that's what we audio nuts are listening for, and what we're paying big bucks to achieve at ever diminishing returns.

So the Pioneer speakers are good. Astonishingly good for the price. What the Ascend SE speakers do is lower the distortion and increase the transient response. To the laymen, they simply sound "cleaner". It's not like a song will sound totally different on the Ascends vs. the Pioneers. But there's enough of a difference, IMO at least, that even a totally casual listener wouldn't mistake one for the other. That said, the difference and improvement in going from the Pioneers to the Ascends is no where near the same sort of improvement as going from "bad" speakers to the "good" Pioneers. From "bad" to "good" is a gigantic leap. It's why so many of us are so excited about the Pioneer speakers. Going from "good" to "better" isn't the same huge leap at all. It's just a refinement ;)

But the best way I can put it is it's like going from HD cable to Blu-ray. Once you get used to Blu-ray, you can't help but notice the small flaws and imperfections in HD Cable. Now, HD cable already looks good! And the improvement from HD Cable to Blu-ray is no where near as big as going from SD to HD. But Blu-ray looks better than HD Cable. And once you're used to Blu-ray, everything else looks not quite as good by comparison.

That's the sort of difference I'm talking about. You get used to the Ascend SE speakers, and you'd notice the very minor flaws in the Pioneers. But the Pioneers are already good. And for the price, they truly cannot be beat.

You pay even more than the Ascend SE series - like, say, the thrillingly excellent Sierra Towers with the RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade - and that's like going from Blu-ray to 4K. But you're paying quadruple the price to get there! So that's diminishing returns. Is it worth it? To us audio nuts, yes :) But to a lot of people, even going from DVD to Blu-ray isn't something they really notice or care about. Lots of people think DVD is just fine. They certainly wouldn't pay 10x the price to get 4K!

So that's the situation with audio as well. "Good" quality now costs about $125 per speaker with the Pioneer SP-FS52 towers. That's your "DVD" or your HD Cable analogy. Pay a little more than twice as much, and you've got the Ascend CMT-340SE. Those are like Blu-ray. Then go 4x more expensive from there, and you've got the Ascend Sierra towers, which are like 4K in the video analogy.

You're paying exponential more for each improvement, but each improvement is smaller. Worth it? That's up to each individual. But hopefully, if my analogy makes sense, you'll be able to tell where you fall in the spectrum :)

L

LitoGeorge

Audioholic Intern
Sublime. Thats how I feel about your post FirstReflection.

Thank you ever so much (I'd push that thanks button 10 x if it would add up) for that very illustrative post. It covers personal choice, price, engineering, physics, quality, with easy to understand visual cue analogy's to boot.

I think you've sealed the deal Sir! I'll be seeing what deals there are about today, and then going for it as soon as Christmas Day/ Boxing Day is here.

I simply cannot ask for more. And, good advice about checking out that sub's physical dimensions. Now, where's my recycle bin so that I can go pull out some cardboard?

Have a super day, George

L

LitoGeorge

Audioholic Intern
I was just rereading the entire thread, and I have to ask the question:

Which is "better"?

B-Stock Level THREE Tower Speakers

OR the

CMT-340 SE Mini-Tower Loudspeaker

The Ascends (with matching speaker stands) will work out $100 more for the pair, not including the added shipping costs.

My preference is for clear audio, where one can hear each instrument/ sound effect. I truthfully dont care for boomy bass - unimpressive.

And adding to FirstReflection's analogy: I am far more of a Blu Ray guy than a DVD or 720p guy. Hope that makes sense.

ps: $150 is absolutely not going to kill me with price, but if the sound is fairly equal, then I'll go with aesthetics and then price.

L

LitoGeorge

Audioholic Intern
and last question......

What do you fine gentlemen think of getting a full 7.1 HSU system?

I note that the sub is their best sub, and..... well, its cheaper than the Ascends/ HTD speakers too when I combine it shipping for a 7.1 system.

Hybrid 15 Packages

Or even this: (planned on getting the VTF3Mk4 anyway)

http://hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid3pkg.html

I'd love to hear your thoughts! (I originally ordered a pair of AJ Pioneer 22 surrounds for the 7.1 duty speakers)

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Heh, ya see what happens when you increase your budget cap a wee bit? :p

Yeah, in some ways, it's easier when you have a stricter budget. If you're keeping the price as low as possible, it's easy! You get the Pioneer 2nd Gen Andrew Jones speakers. There's really no competition at their price point (unless it's strictly about looks and not sound quality). And you're done. Confident that you got the best possible sound for the money. Rest easy :)

But up the budget and now you're into a whole world of competition. And it's fierce.

I can't talk directly about the HTD Level 3 speakers. I haven't heard them. The Kapton tweeter certainly looks interesting. I'm leary of them talking up "hand applied" coatings to their midrange and woofer drivers like that's a good thing. How on earth can you keep things highly consistent from unit to unit when it's hand applied :confused:

But I've not heard them, so I can't say if they're "better", "worse", "about the same". I really don't know.

The HSU MK2 horn speakers are good, clear, efficient speakers. But I'd definitely say they have some "character" to them. They aren't perfectly neutral and transparent speakers. They add a bit of their own "flavor" to the sound.

So I'd opt for the Ascend SE speakers over the HSU horn speakers, myself. But I can't make a comparison to the HTD Level 3 speakers.

I CAN say that the Ascend CMT-340SE are fabulously accurate, neutral, transparent speakers. Like I've said, to me, they're the next clear step above the Pioneer speakers. But that's doesn't mean there can't be speakers that are their equal, or a million steps in between that are very close.

Honestly, with a comparison like that, the only way to really be sure is to hear them for yourself, in your own home. What I always like to suggest - since these companies all offer 30 day trials - is that you order just the Center speaker, or just a pair of the smaller speakers that you plan to use as your surrounds. Buy from both companies, bring them into your home and compare them, then send back the one Center or the one pair of smaller speakers and buy the rest of the set from the brand you liked the best!

It'll cost you a small amount in return shipping. A handful of companies pay shipping both ways, but not most. But it's truly worth the cost when you're trying to make a decision like this. By ordering just the one Center or the one small pair, you really keep the shipping costs to a minimum. But you get a FAR better idea - really, the ONLY way to know for sure - of which company's sound you prefer!

Also, give Ascend a phone call. They often have B-Stock as well, or can work out a better price for you if you just call them :)

That's the best advice I can offer on this one. I will say, a phone call to companies can often make the decision a lot easier. You'll find that some of them are really knowledgeable and helpful, and others are less so. When you're talking about products that are all very close in performance and price, I don't think it's out of place one bit to let something like customer service sway your decision!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Speculation and guessing is free - however, the HTD Level Three
speakers are good, and HTD does good work - the ribbon tweeter
is nice. > Now as far as what brand speaker you should buy - well,
that decision is up to you.

L

LitoGeorge

Audioholic Intern
Thanks FR and Jim, lots to think about there. After phoning, there are stock issues with the various brands I am considering, so this may have to wait a week or two. Doh!

Will keep an eye out on this thread and pm's and wishing you all a Very, Merry Christmas :cool:

D

dwaleke

Enthusiast
Just to throw this out. I bought the Ascend 340 SEs along with the HTM-200s for surrounds. I am thinking about sending them back. They play loud and clear, but they just don't fill my room full of sound. That's the only way I can describe what I don't like about them.

I also have the EMP Tek Impression series at home that I'm currently testing out. The E55ti towers are nice and give me that fuller feeling in the room (someone said it is because they use more drivers). I'm still have more testing to do on these before I decide, but I think I'd give the nod to the EMP Tek for my room.

I was also considering getting the HTD Level Three Towers, Center, and bookshelf speakers for comparison as well. Waiting to get confirmation back from HTD that they will pay return shipping on the towers if I am not satisfied.

It pains me to send the Ascends back. They are highly regarded, I love the look of them (plain and simple), I love the footprint, and I have to pay shipping both ways. But at the end of the day what matters most is what sounds the best in the room.

I'm curious if anyone has compared the EMP Tek impression series to the HTD Level Three series?

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Overall impressions are up to you so hopefully they can cover some shipping OR muster up a little cash just in case you have to pay to ship them back. The e55ti's are +/- 2db, good off-axis, many drivers with beautiful asthetics, easy to drive....I still dont understand how these aren't recommended & purchased more often.

Ive had about 5 total hours of auditioning time with them and they're fantastic at everything for this price (especially the BF price). Midrange/lower treble is spot on, top end detail is there and not overbearing at all. They fill out my open 3500cuft space with ease. Never run into distortion until quite a ways after reference levels on my 663. Stage width is great at roughly 8' & depth is definitely there. Ive heard many drivers and various home setups and this is incredible for the price

If anyone is in OKC they can have a listen

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Just to throw this out. I bought the Ascend 340 SEs along with the HTM-200s for surrounds. I am thinking about sending them back. They play loud and clear, but they just don't fill my room full of sound. That's the only way I can describe what I don't like about them.
How big is your room and what sub are you using?

I am not sure how they "play loud but don't fill" your room. Sounds more like a sub issue.

D

dwaleke

Enthusiast
How big is your room and what sub are you using?

I am not sure how they "play loud but don't fill" your room. Sounds more like a sub issue.
The room is roughly 20x15x9, but also has two large openings on the back wall and side wall to other rooms. I have two Power Sound Audio XV15s. All in the subs have to pressurize ~8500^3 ft of volume.

I agree I thought I was lacking with the subs, but that's why I went ahead with the dual XV15s. The E55Ti towers and the XV15s blend together much better than the 340s did. I cross everything over at 80hz.

The HTM-200 is brighter and more forward sounding than the 340s, but the 340s share those characteristics as well compared to the Emp Tek speakers. Using the 200s as surrounds it is easy to locate where the sound is coming from. That feeling is much less with the Emp Tek bookshelf speakers in the back. If I keep the Emp Tek setup I'll grab a set of their bipole surrounds during the next sale to compare.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
The room is roughly 20x15x9, but also has two large openings on the back wall and side wall to other rooms. I have two Power Sound Audio XV15s. All in the subs have to pressurize ~8500^3 ft of volume.

I agree I thought I was lacking with the subs, but that's why I went ahead with the dual XV15s. The E55Ti towers and the XV15s blend together much better than the 340s did. I cross everything over at 80hz.

The HTM-200 is brighter and more forward sounding than the 340s, but the 340s share those characteristics as well compared to the Emp Tek speakers. Using the 200s as surrounds it is easy to locate where the sound is coming from. That feeling is much less with the Emp Tek bookshelf speakers in the back. If I keep the Emp Tek setup I'll grab a set of their bipole surrounds during the next sale to compare.
Got it. My room is also around 8,000 cu/ft. I started with Studio 40's and also felt like they weren't filling my room plus I blew them a couple of times. Ended up with the Studio 100's and they are much better. I am not sure how big of a speaker the EMP's are but let's not forget that the 340's are just a bookshelf speaker with a fancy stand.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Ended up with the Studio 100's and they are much better. I am not sure how big of a speaker the EMP's are but let's not forget that the 340's are just a bookshelf speaker with a fancy stand.

e55ti

(3) 6.5" midwoofers
(2) 5.25" midranges
(1) large format 1" silk dome

Pretty close drivers size specs to the Studio 100's. Not sure what the true measurements are, but the 100's say +/- 2db from 44-20kHz, while the e55ti's say +/- 3db from 44-20kHz. Not too shabby for a sub $500/pr at times :eek:. Not too shabby at all

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
e55ti

(3) 6.5" midwoofers
(2) 5.25" midranges
(1) large format 1" silk dome

Pretty close drivers size specs to the Studio 100's. Not sure what the true measurements are, but the 100's say +/- 2db from 44-20kHz, while the e55ti's say +/- 3db from 44-20kHz. Not too shabby for a sub $500/pr at times :eek:. Not too shabby at all
Makes sense that they would work in a larger room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis